Direct bitmap to model conversion method - Page 3

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Direct bitmap to model conversion method

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Graham,

I have Silo 2.02, could you, please, tell me how you did it ? How you imported the picture in Silo? What version did you use?

Thank you.

Zoltan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi zoltan, I use silo 2 , use your displacment brush as a stamp, create a new brush then under image you just pick out the pict that you want to use as your new brush , make sure you have the grid subdivided a few times, and you have your brush strength up high, This method is ok for back ground stuff or a single stamp, but need work on tings with a lot of parts to it. try it out and maybe you can come up with somthing . still think yohudi's methode might be better. Graham

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Switcher View Post
    Working with Gmax, is it possible to save or export a file as something other than the .gmax extension?

The version (1.2) I have, only shows .gmax .

That won't load into Cut3D.

Hi there,

This isn't a problem.. You should have a look at the FREE tutorial I ref in my sig..... You can get content out as .3DS or .OBJ using a script addon. These are/will be with the tut.. they are FOC and unrestricted... alternatively you can find them on the net here and there... such as in my thread.. at the vectric forum.... with the FREE box-modeling conversion tut....

hope this helps..

Last edited by yohudi; 09-23-2007 at 05:54 PM.
    What one man can do another man can do..
    BitMaps to Models, 3D2Relief, tutorials and FREE CNC Software http://cnc4free.org

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by yohudi View Post
    even if Silo hasn't got the materials features

did you try separating the image by painting parts of it on different meshes..
    I think this must be a key point. Silo doesn't have the features that you seem to be using in GMax (I imagine, since I haven't used GMax yet), but I have those features in CorelDrawX3. Of course, neither CorelDraw or Silo are free!

I did get ok results by greyscale mapping the image to suit what I wanted to be recessed or projected. I haven't tried that other method exactly, but it sounds like a good idea, kind of like a Computer Aided Intarsia! . I think it'd give good results on a drawing like the deer scene, and with CorelDraws CutOut Lab I could seperate the different features relatively easily. I'll try it. L8rs.

Still looking forward to your tut to see what we can learn from each other.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by grahamshere View Post
    Hi zoltan, I use silo 2 , use your displacment brush as a stamp, create a new brush then under image you just pick out the pict that you want to use as your new brush , make sure you have the grid subdivided a few times, and you have your brush strength up high, This method is ok for back ground stuff or a single stamp, but need work on tings with a lot of parts to it. try it out and maybe you can come up with somthing . still think yohudi's methode might be better. Graham

Hi there Graham....

I think the problem with complex models or images and Silo is that, like many other apps, it has no way (that I know of) to deal with opposed grey-scale ramping. Most 3D apps determine Z height starting at R:128, G:128, B:128 as a zero point. Anything below this value is a -ve Z value and anything above it a +ve. Great so far as it goes.

If you look at a the image that GaryM posted grey-scale ramping is a particular problem. The scales in this image ramp about 5 or 6 different ways... most don't correspond with the location of the content they are representing, sometimes directly conflicting with each other..

An example is the tail of the small deer and the body of the large one in GaryM's image. The small deer's tail is light - the large deer's body is dark.. To most software, the tail of the small deer is in front of the body of the large deer, but in the image it's actually behind.

Using the same criteria you can see this situation in several places in the image. If you invert the overall image to resolve the problem then you create the same problem elsewhere. This is why I suggested painting different areas to different meshes.. that way you should be able to manage the displacement according to the content. This is just a guess tho.. as I don't know Silo at all really.

hope this helps....

BitMaps to Models, 3D2Relief, tutorials and FREE CNC Software http://cnc4free.org

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by thkoutsidthebox View Post
    I think this must be a key point. Silo doesn't have the features that you seem to be using in GMax (I imagine, since I haven't used GMax yet), but I have those features in CorelDrawX3. Of course, neither CorelDraw or Silo are free!

I did get ok results by greyscale mapping the image to suit what I wanted to be recessed or projected. I haven't tried that other method exactly, but it sounds like a good idea, kind of like a Computer Aided Intarsia! . I think it'd give good results on a drawing like the deer scene, and with CorelDraws CutOut Lab I could seperate the different features relatively easily. I'll try it. L8rs.

Still looking forward to your tut to see what we can learn from each other.
    CAI... yep.. that would be about the size of it really.... can't think of any reason it wouldn't work... as long as you can vary/invert either the greyscale or the Silo displacement brush where you need to.

I was thinking more of starting with say 4 identical surfaces aligned so they are effectively in the same place.. on one paint the foregound.. the background on another and the deer on one each... I was also thinking that you might still use just the single image, and just vary the displacement brush setting on each mesh... would save a bit of extra work.

This is nothing like the way GMax would do it.. but it sounds like it would suit the Silo features.... However, like I said to Graham.. I know less than diddly-squat about Silo really....

sure we can learn a LOT from each other.... there are some things I do like about Silo.... subdivision capabilities for one.. think I could find a use for them

the tut should be about lunch-time tomorrow.. UK lunch-time that is...

ttfn

Danny

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I totally agree with what you say, I think the best way to do this type of modeling would be to create a line drawing like a stained glass pattern then fill in each part with the proper colors dealing with depth so that the farthest piece would be the lightest in color and darkest been the closest . then after you have your model done you can always use the original picture to add detail like the hair on the dear and leaves and so on, Its still alot of work how ever you look at im guessing, havnt tried it that way yet. I want that 10 minute modeling you do graham

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Graham,

Thank you. Could you, please, tell me how do you open a picture in Silo? I could not figure out how.

Zoltan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs down How to fix corrupted works file ????

Well the good news is the tut's finished....

the bad news is that the MS Works software has eat the file.. or won't open it... or something....

I'm looking at recovering it now... failing that I'll have to hit the last backup and re-write it form there,

Sorry to anyone waiting for this... but believe me.. you're not half as fed up about it as I am.... I hate Microsoft at the moment.....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh no dont say that, You saved it on a disk right? I guess thats frustrateing for you, all that work, Man id be ticked. Well I know your working hard at it .

Zoltan: open your brush editor, in there youll see image tab with ... click that ... and that will open another location with all your files, pick the file with your picts and then pick the pict you want. You have to make sure the new brush you created is selected for it to work. any questions go ahead and ask away. Graham

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default The Tut Is Online....yeah Baby!!!

Hello to all who have expressed interest in this... the tut is up... I've spent the last 24 hrs recovering what I could from backups and re-writing the rest... only bit I haven't put back yet is the CNC toolkit stuff but I'll add that as an appendix by the end of the week.

Tut is 28 pages long... 5 pages step by step workthrough of the basic method... then some interesting permutations like multiple image models.. ultrasmooth surfaces modelled from gradients ...great way to add text, motifs and flourishes that automatically track irregular surfaces. Covers greyscale remapping in GMAX and 3DSMAX as an appendix... a neat trick using alpha maps.

Tut covers optimisation for export and drops 100,000 polygons off a 130,000 polygon model and you wouldn't know it to see the model.

Anyone who buys in on the tut can have the models I made writing it included in the cost.. and will offer support and assistance via the group.. thanks for the heads up on that again fireballcnc I think it was.

Cost will be £10.00 UK or equivalent in your local currency TUT is encrypted download.. I send the password on receipt of Paypal transfer confirmation.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CNC_4_FREE/

feel free to visit the group there are some free files and images of models etc.. going to host some STL models at the group when I've sorted the archives sizes out.. yahoo won't host anything over about 4 meg and most of my STL files are larger than that.

couple of images from the tut below... ones a bit fuzzy.. but thats the image file .. not the model... will post a better pic of it later

Thanks again for the support and interest on this.. I'll get to all the people who P.M.'d me individually also... but will be grabbing some shuteye first... will be up and about 4 the next few hours still in case anyone's gagging for it...

TTFN Amigo's

Danny

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Direct bitmap to model conversion method-sailor04-jpg   Direct bitmap to model conversion method-unicorn-jpg   Direct bitmap to model conversion method-gradtext-jpg   Direct bitmap to model conversion method-image8-jpg  

Last edited by yohudi; 09-25-2007 at 01:27 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Danny,

Could you, please, tell me how I can make the payment?

Thank you.

Zoltan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by zoltan View Post
    Hi Danny,

Could you, please, tell me how I can make the payment?

Thank you.

Zoltan
    Hi Zoltan...

just dl the file from the CNC_4_FREE group... then send £10.00 UK or eqivalent to yohoodi@yahoo.co.uk

when paypal confirms funds transfer I'll email you the password for the archive..

You'll need latest winzip trial to extract due to the 256 bit encryption they use now or whatever. Any problems give me a shout at the group, here or at the yahoo email i've just posted..

thanks again for the interest... will be archiving all the models in the pics and hosting them at the group.. so will be plenty of reference up there.. and will be happy to answer any questions etc... It's easy stuff tho... you won't believe how easy.....

ttfn

Danny

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Guess you need a paypal account to do this? graham

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Danny you did carve that last pict or is that a render? Cant wait to give this a go, sent my payment hope you got it ok, had a hell of a time with paypal. Any way hope you got some sleep.Graham

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

grahamshere,

Hay grahamshere how did you go about sending the money through paypal? I'm getting to be an old dog, can't learn new tricks.

Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have paypal account, if so you need to sighn in then click send money to his yahoo addy, pick british pound currancy, it will ask how to pay, with credit card or what you have it set up for. just follow each step. any problems im sure some one can help. Graham

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Got my tutorial, Yah baby. Thanks a million Danny boy. I have clients at my heal so this is going to help LARGE. Thanks again. Graham

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

grahamshere,

Thanks, I got it and sent the money. Now it's time to start learning!

Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default BIG Thanks to ALL supporting the tutorial.

Well Hi there everybody...

can't say thanks enough to everyone who has bought in to the tut and given their support. There are a couple of people where payment is waiting to clear and as soon as it does I'll send you the required password...

If you sent payment and I haven't got back to you yet that will be the only reason...

Everyone who now has the tut... If you have any difficulties or problems with it please let me know and I'll do what I can to help you past it. Please post pics, if you feel like, as it will help others to see the kind of results anyone can achieve.

I aim to have the generated meshes and some other bits and bobs up at the group within the next day or so and the CNC_Toolkit Appendix sorted for the weekend.

Thanks again for all the support and encouragement ... looking forward to seeing some of your bitmap generated models..

TTFN

Danny

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast