Direct bitmap to model conversion method - Page 2

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Direct bitmap to model conversion method

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Ready to spend my money.

I am ready to spend money.

Really nice work. Will be watching this thread for all pertinent info on how to purchase using Paypal.

Jerry

Downloads
    Uploads

Yep, That's looking good...(although that's one ugly dude you're
    carving out there )

No rush...Quality over speed!

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking good,

Ya he is one ugly dude!

Boy I hope I'm smart enough to figure out how to do that! I am looking to do some wildlife scenes and I think this method just might work!

Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    Looking good,

Ya he is one ugly dude!

Boy I hope I'm smart enough to figure out how to do that! I am looking to do some wildlife scenes and I think this method just might work!

Gary
    Hi there,

Worry not amigo... ANYONE can do this.

Post an image of a scene you'd like to try..and I'll run it... I could find one myself but I'd sooner use one that YOU might pick.. it's a truer test... might also be able to focus part of the tut on "scene" conversion....

ttfn

Danny

What one man can do another man can do..
    BitMaps to Models, 3D2Relief, tutorials and FREE CNC Software http://cnc4free.org

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

yohudi,

Here is something, notsure if this is what you had in mind! Something I found on the internet.

Gary

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Direct bitmap to model conversion method-deer_scene-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is there no displacement brush in gmax? I know this probaby not the best place to ask but it has to do with 2.5 modeling. Graham

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Sadly there is not..

Quote Originally Posted by grahamshere View Post
    Is there no displacement brush in gmax? I know this probaby not the best place to ask but it has to do with 2.5 modeling. Graham
    Hi Graham... no there is no displacement brush in GMax. Later versions of 3DSMAX have a feature which can be made to function as paintable displacement. From version 5 or 6 onwards I think..

tut is going well BTW... working on advanced applications of the method
    now.....

GaryM: Thanks for image.. it presents some interesting problems... but I think it's do-able.. If so I'll feature it in the tut.. to explain the problems it presents and the solutions.....

ttfn

Last edited by yohudi; 09-22-2007 at 12:25 AM. Reason: spelling
    BitMaps to Models, 3D2Relief, tutorials and FREE CNC Software http://cnc4free.org

Downloads
    Uploads

Question

Quote Originally Posted by yohudi View Post
    GaryM: Thanks for image.. it presents some interesting problems... but I think it's do-able.. If so I'll feature it in the tut.. to explain the problems it presents and the solutions.....
    ttfn
    Will you please post a bitmap image of the result of the deer scene, if it is do-able? Because I've been working on it a bit in Silo, and I'd like to see what you come up with before buying the tut.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

yohudi,

Thanks yohudi for checking out the wildlife scene. Looking forward to an example of your method!

Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by thkoutsidthebox View Post
    Will you please post a bitmap image of the result of the deer scene, if it is do-able? Because I've been working on it a bit in Silo, and I'd like to see what you come up with before buying the tut.

thk.....box

Hi there,

I've put the image you requested up... Would be VERY interested to see what silo made of this... as I'm sure would everyone else... any chance of posting a render.

GaryM:

If your thinking of doing this type of thing I'd look out for images that aren't so busy. Although the image IS do-able with the method I wouldn't cut the output from this. I think you could probably find something where the detail is in the main subject.. the deer... rather than the background.... If you were to work a bit on the original image it would be easily possible to clean up the branches etc.. but I wanted to show the job as the original image generated it.

At the end of the day it's a matter of taste really.. so what do I know.. ??

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Direct bitmap to model conversion method-deercut-jpg  
    Last edited by yohudi; 09-23-2007 at 08:03 AM. Reason: clarity

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

yohudi,

Ya your right about it being pretty cluttered with all that background. I would put something together that wasn't quit so detailed. Would be interested in the g-code for the one you did or at least an image file of it cutout!

Thanks again yohudi

Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    yohudi,

Ya your right about it being pretty cluttered with all that background. I would put something together that wasn't quite so detailed........

Thanks again yohudi

Gary
    Hi...

I just thought I should say that although the method did get a result on this image.. there are better approaches for doing this type of job...

If I was going to make this then I would use 2 models... one an empty background and the other of the deer separately, then I'd combine them into a single model and use that as the basis for coding and cutting. Even with the image you supplied this would be a much better job. The model in the pic was generated off the entire single image....

The method in the tut was more designed to create 3D vector clipart from bitmaps than to cut full-scenes.. once you have the individual models you can combine them anyway you want....

Downloads
    Uploads

Here's a quick view from Silo using the Displacement Brush.

I made no edits to the pic for this one. I think silo's picture displacement painting is based on Greyscale mapping, so converting the image to greyscale and editing the colours would result in a dramatic improvement. From a raw image yohudi's method seemed to define the deer in the pic better. This could be due to the algorithms that gmax uses, or/and the quality of your machine allowing a higher level of subdividion, or a few other factors. I've been playing around with this and am getting quite good results with greyscale mapping the pic to suit what I want the end product to be. I agree that creating the elements of the scene, then putting them together afterwards would be a good way to go, but thats leading back towards 2.5D/3D modelling which requires experience and mainly, time.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Direct bitmap to model conversion method-deer-scenetest-jpg  
    Last edited by thkoutsidthebox; 09-23-2007 at 11:15 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

yohudi,

Yes I agree with you yohudi. Build the model's, then put a scene together would be the way to go!

Thanks again!

Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey gary, I think yohudi is saying is do the deer or model seperate from the background still using his method with the deer. box modeling takes way to long in the cnc world if you ask me.Graham

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by thkoutsidthebox View Post
    Here's a quick view from Silo using the Displacement Brush.

I made no edits to the pic for this one. I think silo's picture displacement painting is based on Greyscale mapping, so converting the image to greyscale and editing the colours would result in a dramatic improvement. From a raw image yohudi's method seemed to define the deer in the pic better. This could be due to the algorithms that gmax uses, or/and the quality of your machine allowing a higher level of subdividion, or a few other factors. I've been playing around with this and am getting quite good results with greyscale mapping the pic to suit what I want the end product to be. I agree that creating the elements of the scene, then putting them together afterwards would be a good way to go, but thats leading back towards 2.5D/3D modelling which requires experience and mainly, time.
    thk....box

Hi there and thanks for upping the render.... The good news is that the render tells me that the method will work in Silo (I think). I got similar output out of GMAX ....until I employed some of the techniques in the method... I can avoid edits in the image.. but the bitmap can be adjusted using GMax features so that it produces a similar result. I think the fact that Silo is a modeling app only would restrict you in what you are able to do inside the prog.

3DSMAX has materials features built in.. because it renders final output... many of these have a dual purpose when it comes to special FX on models etc. you can animate materials to distort and even explode objects etc...

Even though GMax doesn't render Discreet left just enough of the materials stuff in there so that Gamers could improve and tune the appearance of low-polygon models.... If you know how these features function then it's not that difficult to devise a modeling method for CNC that will pull the model directly from an image using them.

The actual operations aren't difficult. The kind of thing you could show someone watching you in about 10 mins... but understanding the principles that make it work.. and thereby being able to focus and tune the modeling to get past problems and errors in the model takes a bit more experience...

that's why I made the tut... it's not rocket science or magic.. anyone can do it once they posses the right bits of info.... and the tut is just that.. a marriage of the methods.. and the right bits of info....

Thanks again for upping the Silo output.. was V useful in that even if Silo hasn't got the materials features I can point anyone using it in the right direction in the tut.. I'm going to have a quick look at silo myself using the trial version..

ttfn.. look out for the tut details tomorrow.

Oh.. and In silo did you try separating the image by painting parts of it on different meshes.. i.e. background on one.. forground on another and likewise the deer... then overlap the meshes to see what you get. I would think you could delete undisplaced areas to make a composite mesh from the different parts.... as opposed to medelling them separately.. ?? just a thought.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is what I tried in silo, not bad but needs work, like Yohudi says theres a technique to this methode. Thats why I wish it was monday already so I can learn this technique. This only took a couple of minutes, didnt play with it. Graham

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Direct bitmap to model conversion method-deer2-bmp  

Downloads
    Uploads

Working with Gmax, is it possible to save or export a file as something other than the .gmax extension?

The version (1.2) I have, only shows .gmax .

That won't load into Cut3D.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

grahamshere,

Hay, that turned out perty neat! The background seemed to workout great, a little work on the deer and man you got it!

Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Switcher,

Woops!! You are correct only in .gmax?

Gary

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast