How do you CAD/CAM/G-Code

Thread: How do you CAD/CAM/G-Code

Downloads
    Uploads

Question How do you CAD/CAM/G-Code

Hello all! I'm interested in how you get from an idea to actually making something on your CNC machine. Tell me your process! What CAD/CAM/GCode workflow do you use, and for making what on what kind of machine?

Do you like your workflow? What don't you like about it?

If you could imagine the perfect workflow, what would it be?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How do you CAD/CAM/G-Code

Hi,
    For years, I have done my cad work in Draftsight and then export the drawing as a DXF file.
    This is then imported into Sheetcam and used to do the toolpaths and export the Gcode which is then transferred by flash drive to my controller.

The type of "stuff" I do is pieces parts for whatever I happen to be working on at the time. I am retired and this is a hobby to keep my mind and body active todo something.

Historically, I have been cncing since about 2000 and to this point I have not needed to do any 3D programming so this suits me just fine. However recently I have been trying to learn Fusion 360 and using its associated cam to possibly do some 3D profiling or possibly some V carving work. For both my existing system and for the fusion work, I have modified the post processors to suit my situation and work flow. This last thing is one of the main reasons for choosing Sheetcam besides it reasonable price.

Yes, I like my existing workflow setup as the design and drafting is done in the comfort of my easy chair and then taken to the shop for the actual work.

Right now, I can't think of any major improvements that I would change.

Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Downloads
    Uploads

I've also been using SheetCam, a very affordable program, with great support, for 2 1/2D work.
    I use it on a 5'X10' Plasma with Mach3, and also on a mill. SheetCam is also good for milling, drilling and tapping.
    I use AutoCAD LT98 for .dxf files, I know it's old, but it does everything I need it to do.
    Larry

Downloads
    Uploads

How it is done ? easily,
    idea, sketch, convert to cad, program machine, make parts, finish parts.
    Done everything from aerospace structures to guitars, since 1968.
    it is all the same. just different parts different machines different software. same theory.
    It's just real basic math. once understood.

Been doing this too long

Downloads
    Uploads

I guess it would be nice if I had a BlueTooth like device in my head and could port out an idea to the replicator and instantly have the finished product. But that may be a couple years away.

So for now I use AutoCAD, CamBam, and Fusion 360 for all of my machines. For the simple stuff the AutoCAD/CamBam combo is faster (for me) than designing and posting in Fusion 360 for lathe, mill, & router work. For full 3D and 4th axis works Fusion 360 works well. I have all 3 programs loaded on my machine computers and my desktop in my office, with the exception of the lathe which has a Fanuc controller. I can develop a design or edit parts/G code right at the machines, or pull a file down from my network drives.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I created my first program. This is new to me. I took an iges file of the part, than had to create a plane inside the holes of the part using solidworks, than draw circles with a center point at each hole. from there I created an origin at the first hole that would be drilled, than used the measure tool to find my x,y coordinates form the origin. wrote all those down and then typed them out on notepad. Copied Gcodes and what not from a similar created program into the notepad where my x,y coordinates for that part is. From there I than saved the notepad as a file, than uploaded the program into the dynapath controller via flashdrive. My question to you guys. Is there an easier way to do this. I know camsoft exists and we have AS3000 camsoft, and dynapath controllers. Is AS3000 camsoft compatible with dynapath controllers?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey everyone, thanks so much for the responses. I hadn't realized anyone posted here as I didn't get an email notification.

So it sounds like a lot of you design in one program and then jump to another program. Is that workflow good? I know a lot of the Fusion 360 people like the idea that the whole workflow is contained in one program...

Downloads
    Uploads

Eric,
    "design in one program and then jump to another program?"
    Not necessarily true........
    Some cam systems have a very good CAD built into them.
    Because the input geometry must be used and manipulated (offset) for cut path geometry
    Such as surface offsets on die sinking, large complex hog-outs, etc....

Been doing this too long

Downloads
    Uploads

Many here started before Fusion360 was around. So they developed and trained on different software packages that were available within their price range and ease of use. Most don't want to spend the time to learn new software while they already have the tools to do the job. Hence, the workflow will vary wildly as you poll people's workflow. In your case you may just start with a software package that does it all and spend the time to master it. I didn't like "cloud" type software as I'm not always internet connected. Hence, I prefer desktop software. This will affect my software options and their cost, and my workflow.