Need Help! A clear cut conversion for Grbl File handling!!!

Thread: A clear cut conversion for Grbl File handling!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default A clear cut conversion for Grbl File handling!!!

I have looked and looked and cannot find anyone that offers a CLEAR course of action to go from PDF or JPG to a workable G-Code that Grbl can process without glitches.I have of course watched h-o-u-r-s of videos on Youtube but many of the great ones refer to Programs that are no longer updated/supported or require you to be a Python programmer to understand. I have a simple need...and was hoping for a simple and CLEAR course of action to go from point "A" to point "D" without the need of an engineer degree or programming degree. Here is my process I am trying to adhere to...:

Design single sided PCB in ExpressPCB
    Take either a PDF or JPG version of my PCB and produce at a 1:1 scale my PCB with my Chinese Desktop Mill & Laser Engraver Combo.
    Pretty simple....So I would think.

Worth noting:
    *I have a full licensed version of Mach3, LazyCam, RDWorks, Turbocad Professional 21 at my disposal.
    *Mill in question is running off an Arduino/Grbl Shield so only supports G-code files, etc.
    *I have been going about this by way of designing my PCB in ExpressPCB but opt for "isolation trace routing" which is simply where I invert my image and what is normally white turns to black and what was black now becomes white. This allows me to route "around" my trace and pads "isolating" them from the rest of the copper on the PCB we wish not to remove simply for times sake, etc...

If anyone has some helpful information I would greatly appreciate it....

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: A clear cut conversion for Grbl File handling!!!

This is no problem, first thing before anything else

What software did you design with and how does it EXPORT the resulting data ??????
    The more information the easier it is for us to help you.

I have been doing what you are asking for years now.
    Art to part

Further
    Just follow instructions here
    https://www.expresspcb.com/can-i-export-to-dxf-format/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for taking the time to respond Bostosh but I think we might be on different pages due to my poor explanation of my problem in my original post. Here are some things I hope will clarify the matter...:

As stated I am using ExpressPCB for the design of my boards, though what I failed to mention was why I am using PDF or JPG images of the board layout itself. I have elected to do this in order to have a working version of my printed board lay out in a generic file format because the Export to DXF feature within ExpressPCB is rather misleading. The only thing you can actually get to export is Silk Screen images of text along with component pads. No trace layout comes over in the DXF file. Because of this I have been using "Microsoft Print to PDF" to get my layout images or another printer utility that lets me print anything to JPG. So to clarify things...nothing is getting "exported" in the traditional sense because what does get exported when you try to use that feature within ExpressPCB is only a fraction of your complete working layout...

Though I will not toot my own horn, I will say I am not totally clueless in the CNC environment as I have a 60w CO2 Laser Engraver that runs off RDWorks and a self built CNC Plasma cutter that runs off Mach3 Plasma. Where I AM behind the curve is the manner of manipulating my various file formats to get down to a raw G-Code file composition so as to be able to make some simple boards we need on a rather simple and basic machine (i.e., 1610 Desktop Mill and Laser Engraver run by Grbl .8 ver.) All that said...I have gone as far as my knowledge will take me, and have just become inundated with nonworking plugins, programs or process, hence the reason I am appealing for help from you guys who know this process so much better.

Downloads
    Uploads

A good portion of your problem is that you are using a bitmap image as an intermediate step, to go from this to a cutting path requires some significant maths and logic on the part of the CAM software which must process the job.
    A bitmap image has (best case scenario) a lot of black and white dots which the CAM software must in some way process to calculate the outlines required, if you can find an old version of Corel Draw or something similar with a good "Trace" function you will be able to convert your bitmaps into a Vector Graphics format (CAD is Vector Graphic based) and then you should be able to find a converter to DXF or something else which you can use without too much grief,
    Regards,
    Nick

I quite like targeted ads if they're not intensely annoying so I'll enable ads when your advertisers stop using annoying sounds, annoying slideshows and annoying animations

Downloads
    Uploads

Inkscape is free and has a very good raster to vector converter. I understand it even has a cam package

In the words of the Toolman--If you didn't make it yourself, it's not really yours!
    Remember- done beats perfect every time!!