Breaking through the skin:

Thread: Breaking through the skin:

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Breaking through the skin:

Last week I had this part that had a thin skin in part of a pocket appear during one pass and machine away during the next. When I programmed the part I did not pay much attention to the skin thickness that was going to be left by the cutter. When the cutter broke through it was obvious that I should have left the skin thicker during the previous pass because it started to curl up like foil. The way to fix this was to raise the previous pass by .010.

TahlCAM has this feature called a sink that is made up of multiple identical Polylines arranged vertically. Using the sink editor I was able to raise just this one elevation with out any difficulty.

The sink editor reads the arrangement of Polylines in a sink and displays every elevation in a list. With the sink editor, one can change the depth of the sink, change the spacing between any or all of elevations, and insert or remove elevations. It can even maintain a finish cut spacing at the bottom that does not change when the total depth is changed.

When a toolpaths is highlighted in the list it is also highlighted on the screen and when elevations are changed in the list toolpaths move up or down in real time making these small adjustments a breeze.