Looking for good CAM software,disappointed with Esprit Cam

Thread: Looking for good CAM software,disappointed with Esprit Cam

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking for good CAM software,disappointed with Esprit Cam

Hi,
    I am seeking advice on CAM software for NakamureTome NTX(super) multiaxis/millturn machine with twin spindle,twin turret and B-axis milling spindle.We are manufaturing complex parts, but they have only 2D and 2.5D and some 3D features.

We have full package of DP Technology Esprit 2010 using from last 3 years.But we are very disappointed that we are not able to make simple 2D and 2.5D easely.(turning operations are allright).It takes ages to programme simple part and worst part is postprocesser which dose not output NC code as it looks in simulation.It dose'nt support all features of machine.I have to do lot of manual edting in NC code.

In past I have used ProEngineer and Unigraphics for 3D machining on milling machines.

Any good advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Javed

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by javed08; 04-20-2012 at 09:51 PM. Reason: title is not correct

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe multiaxis/millturn is not for you. "We are not able to make simple 2D and 2.5D easely." If you can't run your software after 3 years, what makes you think you'll be able to run something different?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Thanks for reply

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Lindon View Post
    Maybe multiaxis/millturn is not for you.
    Thanks for reply Dane.If you read my post carefully I have written "not able to make simple 2D and 2.5D easely."

As far as your concern about multiasix is not for me for your information, in my full career of 15 years I was 5-axis machinist for 7 years and rest I have done cam programming on ProE and UG.
    May be you have never faced problemes with software and post processors.

In these 3 years we have used this machine on and off so it never worried us if it was taking more time for programming but now we have more work comming.
    javed

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default post processors

learning any Cam software can be difficult. problems with post processors can be difficult too.
    I use Mastercam and Siemens Unigraphics NX5 both work ok. Mastercam I prefer as it comes with free pdf files which can be printed out and also tutorial books are available at emastercam.com. and many colleges have night school courses for it. i find any software that does not have many books written about it always much harder to learn. NX5 has tutorials that can be used when at the computer but i preference is for good old fashioned books.
    a simple trick i use for simple 2D milling is to draw a box (bounding or boundary box) and to use it for milling within the boundary box which can overlap part edge what ever amount you want. most CAM programs allow drawing Curves on the edges of a part. these curves and a boundary box on a different layer or level can be made visible or invisible and appear a different color for easier visibility.
    many CAM programs can be difficult to use but if you work with a teacher, the CAM company's trainers or a machinist who is expert at it for even a few days you might find your skill level and speed of use to be 2-10x faster. having a CAM company rep come to your shop to help create a better post processor is also something to consider. i myself have spent many days and almost a hundred attempts before finally getting a post processor to work with the majority of machine functions tested and debugged. i can sympathize with your difficulties.

Downloads
    Uploads

I see this term a lot around here. What is "post processor"?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FannBlade View Post
    I see this term a lot around here. What is "post processor"?
    This should be posted as a thread of its own.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We are using Gibbs Cam. It is pricey but it does do a nice job for milling, drilling on on lathes. I have milled squares, hex, octagonal shapes, helical grooves, drilled and tapped holes in face and OD. We do not have a y axis. Gibbs does not support thread milling, helical interpolation for lathes. I have had to write my own code for this.

Good luck

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Take a look at TopSolid. LOTS of videos on YouTube. Looks like the best mill/turn cam package.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You are unlikely to find any package better at running a mill/turn than Esprit.

2.5D is VERY easy in Esprit, if you learn how to use it. Also, I doubt editing the post to do what you want could be any easier.... It's certainly MILES easier than NX. (IMO)

Have you even looked into editing the post yourself? With your amount of experience, you should be able to do it "easely"

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

Take a look at Missler TopSolid for programming your Mill-Turn

Lots of videos on YouTube

Downloads
    Uploads

Type3 or Artcam usded on cnc wood router is not a bad choice. Since many people choose it. Or if you have more budget, could get Enroute or AlphaCAM.

Amanda Cheung from OMNI, www.omni-cnc.com,
    sales@omni-cnc.com, Skype: omni-cnc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There are some great training courses available... Since you can afford the Nakamura, albeit 3 years of troubleshooting, surely you can "easily" afford the cost of the classes. Just a thought..

Downloads
    Uploads

We use Esprit for mill,millturn,swiss,wire it works best for turning.
    And you won't find anything that works better for turn/millturn.
    You have to upgrade to 2012 it does get better and you will probably have to pay
    for a post that works.We just paid 3K for a new mazak mill turn post
    and was told that was a discount because we pay for software maintenance.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My advice would be to get some training. You already have the most productive CAM system on the market.

Are you using the "knowledge base" to save your operations and common tools?

Like a1diesinker said.

"you won't find anything that works better for turn/millturn."

Dean

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by thesePAPERwalls View Post
    There are some great training courses available... Since you can afford the Nakamura, albeit 3 years of troubleshooting, surely you can "easily" afford the cost of the classes. Just a thought..
    Its "easely"!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for good CAM software,disappointed with Esprit Cam

wait a second..
    if I understand right, your concern not exactly the campart itself, but the quirky method to creating a two dimensional shape..

if so.. then try draftsight.. in minutes you draw up shapes, some camprogram need a week :-)
    then use the dxf output and in your cam you make in seconds the toolpaths..

I have bobcad, and while it is a great program, however the drafting side is too hard for me.. so I always use a 2000 autocad or draftsight.. then bobcad can makes easy toolpaths..
    even I can lay out the 3d vectors splines way faster ..

oh.. draftsight is free, so you can use it right now..