Edgecam with Autocad dwg for Lathe

Thread: Edgecam with Autocad dwg for Lathe

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Edgecam with Autocad dwg for Lathe

Is anyone using Edgecam with Autocad for lathe programming.

I am considering this combination. I already have Autocad and am trying out the Edgecam demo.

I want to stay with Autocad for my drawings and open them from Edgecam.

I want to know what is the best way to make the Autocad drawing for Edgecam to open.

Should I draw solids?

Should I draw in the Z-X plane?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Bill.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use edgecam and mostly inventor

2 options that work well for me.

1 is to dxf file out to edgecam. Edgecam opens them directly, no need to import, etc.

Only thing you may need to do is move it to get a correct origin, flop axis, etc. No biggie.

Edgecam also offers a direct module for inventor. Again you open inventor file directly, but advantage is if the inventor model changes, Edgecam will prompt you the next time you open the file and change the program to match. This option is an extra cost and I just got it, so have not figured it out fully yet, although I have seen it done, and it is slick.

Edgecam is probably one of the higher cost CAM packages, but I have no complaints about the software yet, and updates are done often.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Edgecam with Autocad dwg for Lathe

there is a FRONT LATHE START.pci that flips all the axix from XY to ZX. You run this PCI from the Design side after loading geometry
    designed in the XY environment.

PCI for people that program a front turret lathe and want to see t as it is in the machine. Plus they bring in geomtry drawn in the XY
    environment.

PCI performs the following tasks:
    1. Prompt user to select the Geometry to switch to the ZX env.
    2. Transposes the selected geometry to the turn environment.
    3. Switch to the ZX environment
    4. Creates a new CPL oriented to a front turret type lathe
    5. Changes the current view to align to the new CPL
    6. Switches back to the Turn CPL.

i got this from the EdgeCam users group in Yahoo! this group is an excellent source of help and information for EC. I use it all the time and has gotten me out of a couple problems. You can get this file from that group or email me and i will send it to you.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

IF YOU ARE JUST GETTING STARTED YOU PROBABLY DONT KNOW TO MUCH ABOUT PCI ,BUT

EDGECAM DIRECTLY OPENS YOUR .DWG FILE --- YOU SHOULD'NT HAVE TO IMPORT/EXPORT AT ALL

IF YOU ARE TURNING PARTS THAT ARENT TO CRAZY (FOR US 2-D GUYS) YOU CAN JUST DRAW HALF THE
    PROFILE (REGULAR X-Y IN AUTO CAD) SAVE ,THEN OPEN WITH EDGECAM---- YOU THEN TRANSFER TO THE ZX ENVIROMENT(PREFRANCES PULL DOWN) AND THEN ROTATE THE PART----- ITS BEEN A WHILE BUT I THINK YOU ROTATE Z -90 FIRST ,THEN X-90 ---COULD BE MISTAKEN

DONT MIND MY SPELLING ... IM JUST A MASHINIST

Downloads
    Uploads

When you need to switch enviroments XY-ZX there is a Transpose command that does this. Drop down Edit>Tarnsform>Transpose>then XY-ZX option. THis brings it to the right axis orientation.