Complex Mold/Pattern Design of Non-Planar Parting Line CAD Options

Thread: Complex Mold/Pattern Design of Non-Planar Parting Line CAD Options

Default Complex Mold/Pattern Design of Non-Planar Parting Line CAD Options

Hi All,

I am getting into fairly complexcasting and pattern work - currently working out the bugs of a 4cylinder head for a car.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/castin...ore-blows.html

I have been using Alibre for all my CADwork. Its got me by mostly but I can't do non-planar parting lines,and it can't really do surface modeling. I used Blender and reverse engineered some patterns via mesh modeling but its too time consuming and meshmodels are not the best for machining. And creating non-planar parting lines was very labor intensive. I have played around withFusion 360 using its T-Spline surfacing functions but its not veryrobust (partly because of user error).

I am looking for advice on a budgetminded software/workflow where I can take a preliminary solids modeland reverse engineer an existing solid model so as to get smootherfree-flowing shapes. One specific example of a need as follows. WhenI design castings that have complex cores they are the result ofleftover space after getting all the structural design modeled as asolid. The internal cavity (sand core) is the leftover space. But itsnot good to have sharp edges like you get from prismatic solidsmodelers like Alibre and everything needs a draft angle about aparting line. Due to the complex shapes, solids modelers can notalways compute draft and fillets, hence I am trying to solve theproblem by re-designing the sand core with a surface modeler. A veryimportant feature I must have is the ability to split molds/patternsthat have a non-planar parting line, does not have to be automaticone button press solution but a software/workflow that does not takehours to do it would be sufficient. Here is a screen shot of the initialdesign of sand core shape.

This is a screenshot of what I woldwant to redesign it as.

Notice the non-planar parting line seen via the colors from draft analysis.

I downloaded a demo of Rhino and theT-Splines plugin and am in the process of learning it. It seems a lotmore robust than Fusion 360 as far as T-Splines are concerned when Idraft less than ideal topology which I am working at improving. Iwould like to avoid spending the extra bucks on the T-Splines plug inif I can help it, I downloaded it to fix a surface I screwed up inFusion. Anyways, my real question is do you think Rhino would be agood solution to the need I defined and what other software should I consider?

Thanks,
    Adam