help with designspark mechnical

Thread: help with designspark mechnical

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question help with designspark mechnical

Hey guys,

I have my first cnc machine coming in a few days (a tormach 1100), so in the meantime I'm working on designing some parts. I've started using DesignSpark Mechanical, which has worked great for most things, but I'm having a bit of trouble with designing this sprocket.

Two things:

How do I remove edges in 3D mode? The trim tool doesn't work in 3D, and the Fill tool doesn't seem to do anything when selecting edges. Any ideas?

How do I fill the space inbetween the teeth (the body of the sprocket)? It should be a solid piece.

Thanks!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails help with designspark mechnical-design6-2d-jpg   help with designspark mechnical-design6-3d-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: help with designspark mechnical

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHoMi View Post
    Two things:

How do I remove edges in 3D mode? The trim tool doesn't work in 3D, and the Fill tool doesn't seem to do anything when selecting edges. Any ideas?
    !
    Not really sure what you are asking?? Remove edges? Can you elaborate? You don't really remove an edge of a 3d object. Are you talking about some type of rebuilding of the curves into a single entity to remove "seams"?

How do I fill the space inbetween the teeth (the body of the sprocket)? It should be a solid piece.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Not really sure what you are asking?? Remove edges? Can you elaborate? You don't really remove an edge of a 3d object. Are you talking about some type of rebuilding of the curves into a single entity to remove "seams"?

Hello there
    Me too I m starting in cnc and have drawn my first pieces with designs park mechanical
    But when I import the file to lazycam or cambam, all the curbs and hole of the object are not visible
    Only the straight drawn line are visible anything round or radius is missing

What am I doing wrong?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ladybreaker View Post
    Hello there
    Me too I m starting in cnc and have drawn my first pieces with designs park mechanical
    But when I import the file to lazycam or cambam, all the curbs and hole of the object are not visible
    Only the straight drawn line are visible anything round or radius is missing

What am I doing wrong?
    Attach your designspark file AND the file you are sending out to the other softwares, here (Zip them) so we can look.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you files attached.

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

So Design Spark wont save out 3D models in that sense. (You can save polygonal data like OBJ or Sketchup etc. Not sure if CAMBam etc reads that data) Or an STL "Dumb solid".

The dxf export is going to be a 2d option that basically "Flattens" things out. While you are in "3D Mode", it will flatten from "Perspective". Your file opens like this in my apps and I don't see anything "Missing" so to speak, other than I don't think that was what you are after.

Here are 2 files back from Design Spark. An STL and a DXF that was exported fro "PLAN View" Go into "Sketch Mode" then down on the bottom enter "Plan View" to do your export to 2d dxf.

help with designspark mechnical-plan_view-jpg

If your CAM programs aren't opening this DXF as good 2d geometry, you may try running it through some other app then back out...

Anyway...

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    So Design Spark wont save out 3D models in that sense. (You can save polygonal data like OBJ or Sketchup etc. Not sure if CAMBam etc reads that data) Or an STL "Dumb solid".

The dxf export is going to be a 2d option that basically "Flattens" things out. While you are in "3D Mode", it will flatten from "Perspective". Your file opens like this in my apps and I don't see anything "Missing" so to speak, other than I don't think that was what you are after.

Here are 2 files back from Design Spark. An STL and a DXF that was exported fro "PLAN View" Go into "Sketch Mode" then down on the bottom enter "Plan View" to do your export to 2d dxf.

help with designspark mechnical-plan_view-jpg

If your CAM programs aren't opening this DXF as good 2d geometry, you may try running it through some other app then back out...

Anyway...
    Thank you very much Burr
    I managed to get further with CamBam but it was too good to be true because I managed up to toolpath simulation and then and other problem
    The two inside arcs of the outline of the frame ,the toolpath whent inside the arf instead to stay out
    I will post this on an other thread with some PCs
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ladybreaker View Post
    Thank you very much Burr
    I managed to get further with CamBam but it was too good to be true because I managed up to toolpath simulation and then and other problem
    The two inside arcs of the outline of the frame ,the toolpath whent inside the arf instead to stay out
    I will post this on an other thread with some PCs
    Thanks
    No Worries, Good luck with it. Surely the CamBam guys can help you with the setup part of it!