Pauls HP UHU drive project

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pauls HP UHU drive project

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pauls HP UHU drive project

Hello All,
    Irfan has requested I start a thread logging my on going attempt to comvert my Bridgeport Discovery CNC mill. I've been struggling with this conversion for a long time & this is my third attempt to get it up & running using UHU's drives.,
    As time goes on I will add pictures & verbiage to get you all up to speed with this attempt. For now I'm enclosing one picture and the following question.
    I'm hoping to use the available 5vdc for my "E stop" circuit and an trying to make sure I'm hooking up the wires on the J8 & J9 connectors. If you would look at the picture & note I've added. do I have the terminals correctly identified for each position. If I understand the information on the " Step-Direction & Emergency Stop Interface page rev.1.0d dated 4/2/2008 that's page #5 of Hugo's schematics that he released 4/25/2008. I leave Jumpers "A" & "B" intact beings I'm using the existing 5vdc ?
    So anyway. look at the picture & such & help he hook these six wires up correctly...........................
    Thanks
    Paul

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pauls HP UHU drive project-hp-uhu-drive-1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tenmetalman View Post
    .......... If I understand the information on the " Step-Direction & Emergency Stop Interface page rev.1.0d dated 4/2/2008 that's page #5 of Hugo's schematics that he released 4/25/2008. I leave Jumpers "A" & "B" intact beings I'm using the existing 5vdc ?
    So anyway. look at the picture & such & help he hook these six wires up correctly...........................
    Thanks
    Paul
    Hello Paul;

Yes, if you leave the default jumpers traces (A and B) you are using the PC +5 Volts coming from the USB port. Then, there is no need to provide external +5V on that connector's pin.

If your safety circuit closes the EMG_Stop pin to PC_GND (short circuit them), your board will be disabled.

Best regards,

Kreutz.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default HP_UHU. Suggested E_Stop circuit Schematics.

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz View Post
    ...If your safety circuit closes the EMG_Stop pin to PC_GND (short circuit them), your board will be disabled...

Kreutz.
    HP_UHU. Suggested E_Stop circuit Schematics.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pauls HP UHU drive project-e_stop-hp_uhu-pdf  
    Last edited by kreutz; 10-26-2008 at 04:28 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Paul,

have you dry run your HP UHU's now all together? I mean all motors mounted but not connected to motion elements on the machine?

Henrik has used the BoB from cnc4pc and probably be able to help you also here.

RGDs
    Irfan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pauls HP UHU drive - Problem

Hello All,
    Well I've run into a snag. I've tried two different drives & two different UHU chips. When I start the mill,start the computer, then Windows XP I'm getting to the same point & the same problem. without turning the High Power power supply on. I'm using the UHU terminal program & get the same problem whither I start Mach3 then terminal or start terminal without Mach3 running. at the point that the mill & computer is powered up, with terminal running I apply the 15vdc to the drive expecting to see Uri's chip's message & parameters. what I get is one line of "M)5!) etc as shown in the attached photo's. One line of garbage & one segment of what looks like encoder tracking per attempt to apply 15vdc. after the verbiage stops I can not type anything in from the keyboard. What Now ?
    Paul

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pauls HP UHU drive project-hpuhuproblem-001-jpg   Pauls HP UHU drive project-hpuhuproblem-002-jpg   Pauls HP UHU drive project-hpuhurobblem-003-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello All,
    Well I've run into a snag. I've tried two different drives & two different UHU chips. When I start the mill,start the computer, then Windows XP I'm getting to the same point & the same problem. without turning the High Power power supply on. I'm using the UHU terminal program & get the same problem whither I start Mach3 then terminal or start terminal without Mach3 running. at the point that the mill & computer is powered up, with terminal running I apply the 15vdc to the drive expecting to see Uri's chip's message & parameters. what I get is one line of "M)5!) etc as shown in the attached photo's. One line of garbage & one segment of what looks like encoder tracking per attempt to apply 15vdc. after the verbiage stops I can not type anything in from the keyboard. What Now ?
    Paul
    Hello Paul;

Is the USB cable connected to the drive and the PC?

Best regards,

Kreutz.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pauls Project,

Well,
    Some good news,and an issue that begs a question or two. Kreutz, Yes the USB cable was hooked in on both ends & working correctly. The Keyboard cable on the other hand had backed out just enough to not let the keyboard work. Your reply put me on the search that found it. My current status concerning drives is: none have had high power applied. Drive #1.) Does all it's suppose to up to this point. It gives the correct Handshake i.e. the UHU chip serial number & OK. It works with the terminal program to the point that I can check the settable parameters, change & save changes. Drives #2 & 3 give garbage as the handshake & a OK. From there on to the point I've stopped at they also do everything as they should ! ! ! all three of these drives know when the cable carrying the encoder signals are hooked up or not. Drive #4, the last drive built that has less changes than the other three is a problem child. It gives garbage for a hand shake, No (OK) & does NOT allow any communication to or from the terminal program. Nor is it able to tell writher the encoder cable is hooked up or not. So, suggestions as to what to look for ?
    Paul

Downloads
    Uploads

Well,
    Some good news,and an issue that begs a question or two. Kreutz, Yes the USB cable was hooked in on both ends & working correctly. The Keyboard cable on the other hand had backed out just enough to not let the keyboard work. Your reply put me on the search that found it. My current status concerning drives is: none have had high power applied. Drive #1.) Does all it's suppose to up to this point. It gives the correct Handshake i.e. the UHU chip serial number & OK. It works with the terminal program to the point that I can check the settable parameters, change & save changes. Drives #2 & 3 give garbage as the handshake & a OK. From there on to the point I've stopped at they also do everything as they should ! ! ! all three of these drives know when the cable carrying the encoder signals are hooked up or not. Drive #4, the last drive built that has less changes than the other three is a problem child. It gives garbage for a hand shake, No (OK) & does NOT allow any communication to or from the terminal program. Nor is it able to tell writher the encoder cable is hooked up or not. So, suggestions as to what to look for ?
    Paul
    Does the 4th drive light up any of the LEDs when powered?, did you measure +5volts at the 7805 output?

Any of the boards with less than 4.85 volts will probably output garbage on the RS232 connection because of the brown-out protection of the UHU chip.

If the 4th board is not responding to the encoder cable missing, there is some wiring problem, unless there are no 5 volts present...

I will take some time to write some troubleshooting instructions to use when first placing the board in service, things to check before and after powering up the +15Volts power supply for the first time... even before placing the UHU chip on the socket.

Thanks,

Kreutz.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pauls Project,

Kreutz,
    thanks for the suggestions, I'll check all of the 7805's, I've got spares from other manufacturers that I can change out. I'm getting much better at changing components on a PCB. I've checked the USB power coming out of the computer and it's only 4.97. tomorrow I'll pull the cables out of the USB card I installed a while back and see if the power level goes up. either way it looks as I need to do something about the my 5vdc sources . I've currently got quite a load on the USB board and probably need to use the 5vdc available from the PC power supply I've installed in the cabinet and move more of the load to it. I'll also check it's voltage before and after...... I sure don't need a brown out condition occurring while running a program ! As to the 4th led, none of the drives show any indication of it lighting............... I hate to see you divert anymore of your limited time to writing a check out list. between the problems H.O., Irfan and myself have had or are having, We,re developing quite a check list on the fly............. Please get me those P&P fingers, the earlier I get them the sooner you'll have spares plus you'll be able to design other styles as needed and I can get them started !
    Thanks
    Paul

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Paul have you planned on the bigger heat sinks? Mine look punny when compared to the heat generated.

Downloads
    Uploads

Kreutz,
    thanks for the suggestions, I'll check all of the 7805's, I've got spares from other manufacturers that I can change out. I'm getting much better at changing components on a PCB. I've checked the USB power coming out of the computer and it's only 4.97. tomorrow I'll pull the cables out of the USB card I installed a while back and see if the power level goes up. either way it looks as I need to do something about the my 5vdc sources . I've currently got quite a load on the USB board and probably need to use the 5vdc available from the PC power supply I've installed in the cabinet and move more of the load to it. I'll also check it's voltage before and after...... I sure don't need a brown out condition occurring while running a program ! As to the 4th led, none of the drives show any indication of it lighting............... I hate to see you divert anymore of your limited time to writing a check out list. between the problems H.O., Irfan and myself have had or are having, We,re developing quite a check list on the fly............. Please get me those P&P fingers, the earlier I get them the sooner you'll have spares plus you'll be able to design other styles as needed and I can get them started !
    Thanks
    Paul
    4.97V is a good voltage coming from the USB port. PC power supply voltagees are not that well regulated, anything from 5.25 Volts down to over 4.85 Volts is good.

Don't replace the components without checking the voltages first, if the 7805s are not regulating there might be a short circuit somewhere, they are protected internally and will come back regulating once the short is removed.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Contactirfu,
    Not at this time, I've always planned on using a small squirrel cage fan to move the air around the drives. what little time I've had with the drives working I've tried it both ways. Without the fan the heatsinks would get warm to the touch. After turning on the fan the heatsinks feel cool to the touch, Paul

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Kreutz,
    before turning on the 15vdc the 7805 show zero voltage. when the 15volts are turned on that voltage is15.01vdc. the four different 7805's show 5.1 to 5.2vdc out. I'm guessing that pretty good ? I spent a couple of hours checking everything I could think of in preparation of turning on the 135vdc. two of my drives seem to be ready to go ! all of the voltages look good & communications with the terminal program are good. thy also fault out when I turn the servo spindle. the third board does not communicate with the encoder. I'm using the same servo, encoder & cable so I'm sure the problem is on the drive board. I took it back to the shop with the fourth board to chase the problem down ! suggestion welcome, Like ufran, I keep getting a little closer, chasing one gremlin down after another.................

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Its a looooooong chase Paul - get ready - but its smiles after that!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Paul,
    Lets start with that third drive that doesn't see the encoder....Is that the "only" problem with it? I mean, it does power up and you can "talk" to it with the terminal program, it just doesn't read the encoder? If that's the case then....

First check that you do have 5V in the DSUB-connector for the encoder, measure between pin1 and pin15 for example. Then check the SN75115 IC - is it mounted in the correct orientation? The little notch, indicating pin1, should be facing away from the encoder-connector. Also check for solderbridges at or around the SN75115 as well as the DSUB connector for the encoder.

(The following is only valid if you have a differential encoder, skip this part if using a single ended encoder)
    If that checks out OK, take your volt-meter and attach the negative lead to GND, the negative of the incoming 15V for example but any GND on the board is fine. Then, with the positive lead, measure the voltage at pin 6 on the SN75115 while very very slowly rotating the motor. The voltage should toggle between 0-0.5V and 3-5V roughly. Whenever you have a "high" on pin 6 you should have a "low" on pin 5. If that checks out OK do the same procedure with pin 10 and 11 on the SN75115, when one is "high" the other must be "low".

If the above doesn't check out OK try removing the SN75115 from its socket and redo the measurements without the IC mounted. If it's OK now you probably have a bad SN75115.

(Continue here if all of the above is OK and/or if you have a single ended encoder and don't use the SN75115)
    With the negative lead still connected to GND measure the voltage at the J1- and J2-pads on the board (two square solder pads right next the SN75115) while again, very very, slowly rotating the motor. The voltage should toggle between 0-0.5V and 4.5-5V. If it doesn't, check R10 and R11 for correct value and solder joints etc.

If still no go remove U3 (if it's in a socket) and redo the measurements. If you still don't get correct readings on the J1 and J2-pads the SN75115 is again a suspect. If you DO get the correct voltages now (with U3 removed) try with a new 7414.

HTH
    /Henrik.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by H.O View Post
    Hi Paul,
    Lets start with that third drive that doesn't see the encoder....Is that the "only" problem with it? I mean, it does power up and you can "talk" to it with the terminal program, it just doesn't read the encoder? If that's the case then....

First check that you do have 5V in the DSUB-connector for the encoder, measure between pin1 and pin15 for example. Then check the SN75115 IC - is it mounted in the correct orientation? The little notch, indicating pin1, should be facing away from the encoder-connector. Also check for solderbridges at or around the SN75115 as well as the DSUB connector for the encoder.

(The following is only valid if you have a differential encoder, skip this part if using a single ended encoder)
    If that checks out OK, take your volt-meter and attach the negative lead to GND, the negative of the incoming 15V for example but any GND on the board is fine. Then, with the positive lead, measure the voltage at pin 6 on the SN75115 while very very slowly rotating the motor. The voltage should toggle between 0-0.5V and 3-5V roughly. Whenever you have a "high" on pin 6 you should have a "low" on pin 5. If that checks out OK do the same procedure with pin 10 and 11 on the SN75115, when one is "high" the other must be "low".

If the above doesn't check out OK try removing the SN75115 from its socket and redo the measurements without the IC mounted. If it's OK now you probably have a bad SN75115.

(Continue here if all of the above is OK and/or if you have a single ended encoder and don't use the SN75115)
    With the negative lead still connected to GND measure the voltage at the J1- and J2-pads on the board (two square solder pads right next the SN75115) while again, very very, slowly rotating the motor. The voltage should toggle between 0-0.5V and 4.5-5V. If it doesn't, check R10 and R11 for correct value and solder joints etc.

If still no go remove U3 (if it's in a socket) and redo the measurements. If you still don't get correct readings on the J1 and J2-pads the SN75115 is again a suspect. If you DO get the correct voltages now (with U3 removed) try with a new 7414.

HTH
    /Henrik.
    Thank you, Henrik;

My troubleshooting instructions will be posted on the weekend, too much work during weekdays, I am getting home late and tired. I will include your post into them (with your permission )

Best regards,

Kreutz.

Downloads
    Uploads

Kreutz,
    .....the four different 7805's show 5.1 to 5.2vdc out. I'm guessing that pretty good ?.........

Yes, the voltages are OK.

About the 3rd board, please, check that all the pins of the 7414 chip are straight and inside the socket.

Thanks,

Kreutz.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank You very much, Henrik & Kreutz. Detailed checking procedures really help the Electronically lame such as myself. I hope to have a couple of hours to work on my project tomorrow.
    Paul

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Paul's Project,

Hi All.
    It was late last night when I got the time to trouble shoot boards #3 & #4.
    On three in narrowed down to a cold joint under pin #11. After I take a nap I hope to remove the heatsink and repair the offending solder joint. to look at it one would think it good. It wasn't conducting until I pushed real hard with my VOM probe. A small solder repair should have that board ready to go..........
    Board #4 has been a bit more of a problem. I got the original 7805 rather hot so i changed it out. In doing the the communication problem with the encoder was resolved. It still isn't communicating with the terminal program. I tried changing out 75115 adjacent to the connector, It acted like it was going to work then nothing, without knowing I the the problem is high voltage on that part of the board. More later
    Thanks for your continued help
    Paul

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Board #3 is ready to go ! I had a bit of a scare. I did the repair reassembled and preformed my check. No response for the proper LED. after much fussing & fuming I checked the LED & it had died.
    who'd guess
    Paul

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast