UHU (and HP) Parameters

Thread: UHU (and HP) Parameters

Downloads
    Uploads

Default UHU (and HP) Parameters

I've found some time to restart a 9 year old project. I have a UHU drive (and unfinished HP-UHU)

Say I wanted to use this motor:
    https://www.automationtechnologiesin...-dual-shaft-3/
    Skewed Rotor Design Specification
    Constant Torque: 42 oz-in
    Peak Torque: 230 oz-in
    No load Speed: 4000 R.P.M
    Continuous Speed: 3300 R.P.M
    Terminal Voltage : 36 VDC
    Continuous Current: 4 A
    Peak Current: 19 A
    No load Current: 0.5A
    Interia: 0.22 kg cm^2

Which motor current value is used when setting up the trim pot? The 4A continuous or the Peak 19A?

For the UHU 3 x 0.1 Ohm resistors according to the drawing is good for up to 21A. The resistors result in 0.0333 Ohms and 19A means the trim pot is set to create 0.63V

Or is the continuous current value used? Now only 1 x 0.1 Ohm with max 4A and the trim post is set for 0.4V

Under load this would fault all the time wouldn't it?
    Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: UHU (and HP) Parameters

I have the Irfan UHU wired up to the motor with a 24V Supply. I'm using the ELS Rev 0.1 as a step/dir motion generator.UHU (and HP) Parameters-test_uhu-jpg
    I've also prototyped a small 24V to 15V power supply to run the HP-UHU.
    Finally on the HP-UHU in addition to all the changes I used a switching LM7805 replacement which I installed on the top of the board because it doesn't require a heat-sink.
    UHU (and HP) Parameters-hp_uhu-jpg
    Lots to do before I can connect a motor but I'm determined to make the HP-UHU turn something.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: UHU (and HP) Parameters

Some progress this weekend.
    First of all, my original style UHU controller from Irfan has a DB-9F for the connection to the PC. That's pretty well standard for RS232 COM ports. Male on the PC and an extension cable to connect to the female on the device. Even the FTDI USB to RS232 have male DB-9M connectors. The HP-UHU is designed for a male connector. The female I installed needed all the pins swapped around with an adaptor since I didn't want to risk damaging the board trying to remove the one I'd installed.

So with communications working my next step was to put 24V into the motor power connector once I'd mounted the unit to the metal panel. Hmmm. It got warm and there weren't FET drivers nor a motor connected. I had intended to check if the FETs were isolated tab but forgot. They weren't! So I dug out some SILPADs and after measuring with an ohmmeter I powered up again and this time no high current from the supply and no warming.

I made a number of mistakes modifying the board from 1.0b to 1.0e. Once I got all the correct trace cuts and jumpers installed I connected a motor. Current threshold was set to 1A since that's all the power supply would handle anyway. Power up. Rotor was locked and when twisted returned to the position.

Next step, bigger supply and connect an ELS as pulse generator to do some more testing. I will need a much bigger heat sink on the FETs before I try anything near full power. That and the 1uFd 250V Mylar cap across the filter cap. Still, it's progress.
    UHU (and HP) Parameters-hp_uhu_modified-jpg