Need Help! UG NX 9 3D toolpath simulation

Thread: UG NX 9 3D toolpath simulation

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default UG NX 9 3D toolpath simulation

Hi guys,

I have a question on the 3D simulation for a lathe tool path in UG NX 9 CAM.

I created a few operations for turning a part. I had originally set my machine coordinate system for the front of the part on the part centerline. I have the work piece set up with a 3D model for the final part and another 3D model overlaid on it for the blank geometry. I have avoidance and containment for both the ID and OD geometry and everything ran smoothly. When I used the tool path verify for both 2D and 3D geometry, they ran fine. The 3D verify showed the material being removed from the blank 3D model.

I moved the MCS from the front of the part to the rear of the part and now when I run my 3D tool path simulation, it comes up with a box for me to define the blank geometry with either a boundary box or offset from the part shape. It no longer uses the 3D blank model to define the 3D tool path simulation blank material. It doesn't give me a choice to use it either.

When I go to my turning workpiece and my workpiece boxes they all show the blank as being defined still, yet the 3D simulation no longer uses it (and won't run without me having to define some kind of blank geometry).

How did I lose the 3D verify simulation's use of the 3D blank model? Could it have to do somehow with the avoidance and containment? The avoidance for both the OD and ID just have start and go home points and the containment just have trim plane's 1 and two which I have shifted to correspond with my MCS moving to the back of the part. The avoidance and containment are all children of the turning workpiece so they should have inherited the blank geometry.

Has anyone had this happen where the tool paths in 3D simulation have lost the 3D blank geometry? Does anyone know how to get it to reassociate? I can run the tool path verify in 2D and if I check the 2D remove stock box, it shows the stock coming off of the 2D blank geometry from the model. If I run the 3D simulation, though, it won't let me proceed without wanting me to input blank geometry.

Thanks,

Tom