Use UCCNC and UC300ETH-5LPT to directly output serial data (Macro/Bit-Banging)

Thread: Use UCCNC and UC300ETH-5LPT to directly output serial data (Macro/Bit-Banging)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Use UCCNC and UC300ETH-5LPT to directly output serial data (Macro/Bit-Banging)

Hi!

I operate a UC300ETH together with UCCNC and a Huanyang VFD. I am aware of the macro for using a USB-RS485 converter for connecting PC (UCCNC) -> RS485-Converter -> VFD.

Although having some RS485-Converter around, I would prefer using the UC300ETH as the only interface to my PC. Main reason is to avoid having a ground-connection to my PC and second being able to hook it up everywhere where Ethernet is available inside my house. The ethernet-port provides a galvanic isolation which would be compromised by the RS485-USB connection.

I would prefer the UC300ETH to handle transmitting and receiving the data. Either by implementing RS485 in firmware (which of course can only be done by CNCdrive) or bit-banging the data (synchronously) to a small microcontroller attached to one of the LPT-ports.

Is there some provisioning to output serial data via UC300ETH? If not, is it feasible to implement a synchronous output/input ("SPI") via macros? It there a restriction on the complexity/processing power of the macros? Is each macro a separate thread which can maintain its own timing?

Best regards,
    Robert

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Use UCCNC and UC300ETH-5LPT to directly output serial data (Macro/Bit-Banging)

From teh Plugin side you have full access to the outside world of Windows AND teh Core of UCCNC. From teh macros side there can be limitations to teh outside world and to the core.

From teh Plugins side you have full access to teh NET enviroment with C# OR any dotNET language.

Hope that helps, (;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Use UCCNC and UC300ETH-5LPT to directly output serial data (Macro/Bit-Banging)

Either by implementing RS485 in firmware
    The RS-485 would still require a serial connection, which you are trying to avoid.

You can control your VFD with PWM or step/dir and a supporting breakout board, which gets rid of the serial cable. So no other connections required.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't think the UC300ETH has a RS485 transmitter, I don't see any in the manual.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    From teh Plugin side you have full access to the outside world of Windows AND teh Core of UCCNC. From teh macros side there can be limitations to teh outside world and to the core.
    So when I now start toggling some outputs and do some sleeping (for timing) afterwards I am not slowing down the UCCNC core?

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    The RS-485 would still require a serial connection, which you are trying to avoid.

You can control your VFD with PWM or step/dir and a supporting breakout board, which gets rid of the serial cable. So no other connections required.
    Maybe there is some misunderstanding. RS485 towards the spindle/vfd is fine, but I don't want to connect the RS485-converter to my PC, creating a ground-loop, but hook it up to the UC300ETH, which shares its ground with the cnc anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    I don't think the UC300ETH has a RS485 transmitter, I don't see any in the manual.
    The RS485 line transceiver would be sitting on the breakout-adapter. Either just the transceiver (if RS485 would be embedded in the firmware) or a microcontroller (say Arduino, although this wouldn't be my choice...) doing the conversion from bit-banging.

Best regards,
    Robert

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by -Robert- View Post
    Maybe there is some misunderstanding. RS485 towards the spindle/vfd is fine, but I don't want to connect the RS485-converter to my PC, creating a ground-loop, but hook it up to the UC300ETH, which shares its ground with the cnc anyway.
    Usually the analog and RS485 interfaces in VFDs are isolated inside the VFD. They do not share the ground with the motor power ground so you will not create a ground loop.

Downloads
    Uploads

OK you want rs485 at teh UC controller itself. I had asked about that long ago and teh answer was NO.

But I do not see the issue with ground loops ???

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

microcontroller (say Arduino, although this wouldn't be my choice...)
    Arduino is a good idea (despite you try to avoid using it), because you could use ethernet shield (or equivalent) with lots of downloadable Modbus sources and the Arduino could work as a serial repeater to and from the VFD. UCCNC can control ModbusTCP, so your PC still needs only an ethernet plug and you need two endpoints by your machine: one for UC300 and one for the Arduino.

Downloads
    Uploads

Would an opto isolated USB-RS485 converter be any good ?

https://www.serialcomm.com/USB_adapt...eral_info.aspx

Downloads
    Uploads

deleted

Downloads
    Uploads

I finally followed the standard way by using Dan911s Plugin (thanks for that!) and an ADM2687 isolated RS485 (which I do not feed using the internal DC-DC coupler but the Huanyangs own "5V"). Works good! Nevertheless, I feel integrating the RS485 into the UC300 would be even better!

Downloads
    Uploads

It would be nice if it had RS485 but it is not a big issue that it doesn't have. I have an Ethernet - RS485 converter and that works fine. Both that and the UC300ETH are connected to a LAN switch and I can reach them from anywhere, even though my WIFI. Everything optically isolated and not have to rely on USB.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com