Arc + Ramp = Helix issues - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arc + Ramp = Helix issues

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Arc + Ramp = Helix issues

Thinking about it I fell in the same hole as msimpson, you think when using the mach3 XML import your settings are good to go and this is not the case.

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

UCCNC has settings that Mach3 does not, and Mach3 has settings that UCCNC does not, so you're never going to get a 100% ready to run profile by importing your Mach3 profile.

I've always thought it's a bad idea to use an .xml from someone else with Mach3. If you setup the machine yourself, you'll know a lot more about your machine, and how to fix problems that come up. If you just want to import a profile and hit run, you're at someone else's mercy when it doesn't work.
    Teach a man to fish......

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Its nothing about the settings that one has over the other. If you are setting up manually or importing, there should be a popup or a setting that changes the settings to values that work with inches. When importing an XML file it should read the unit type and change or at the very least warn you. These kinds of oversites just make the software a little less inch friendly.

Also the rabbit hole that I fell down was deeper as it was compounded by the display bug. All is good now. I just cut my first complex part and it came out perfect. absolutely no cut lines which is saying alot when machining soft plastic. I will be posting a video if this soon.

I'm really liking the UCNCN software. It is now a just getting a handle on its little quirks. For instance when I tried running a job it kept giving me a softlimits error. It did not like the idea of me going to X0 and Y0 at the end of the job. On UCCNC you have to be > than the softlimit so a Job setting of zero or less will trip the job softlimit. Kind of kooky as it lets you jog to X0 and Y0.

I didn't want to regen a lot of Gcode so I just set my X and Y soft limits to X -.0001 and Y - .0001. Problem solved.

Author of: The CNC Construction Set Books, the KRMx01, KRMx02, KRmc01, and KRmf70 CNC Books, the HANS Electric gear clock book. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com.

I'm also sorry about the title I gave this post as the issues had nothing to do with doing a G3 Helix cut. If I had looked carefully at the code I would have seen that there were actually not helix cuts being generated.

Author of: The CNC Construction Set Books, the KRMx01, KRMx02, KRmc01, and KRmf70 CNC Books, the HANS Electric gear clock book. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by msimpson99 View Post
    Its nothing about the settings that one has over the other. If you are setting up manually or importing, there should be a popup or a setting that changes the settings to values that work with inches. When importing an XML file it should read the unit type and change or at the very least warn you. These kinds of oversites just make the software a little less inch friendly.
    I think UCCNC is just as inch friendly as millimetre friendly since it is totally unit-less, but you must read the manual. While it could be improved, it is pretty clear. The import function is good, it gets you started, but after that you must start thinking on your own because no import function can be relied on to 100%. Importing is a compromise.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by msimpson99 View Post
    When importing an XML file it should read the unit type and change or at the very least warn you. These kinds of oversites just make the software a little less inch friendly.
    I agree, on the first or second line of a Mach3 XML gives the units used. I don't think it would take much to replace the mm UCCNC default settings with imperial when using the Mach3 XML import feature.

Dan

After making the above changes I made my first part using UCCNC.

Downloads
    Uploads

good thread, need to be a sticky. I am too running into issues with UCCNC.
    Question, are the motor settings also unit-less?

Downloads
    Uploads

Read my reply in the other topic you posted: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/uccnc...98410-cam.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12