New UC300ETH breakout board. - Page 2

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New UC300ETH breakout board.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by derek View Post
    Hi Weerasak

The board looks great. I mentioned on the UCCNC page that controlling 12v and 24v solenoid coils on air valves have consistently caused noise issues for me on a variety of boards. Any chance of you testing the board with a couple of solenoids?

Thanks
    Derek
    HI Derek

OK, I will find a solenoid coil and some others inductance loads then do a test for you.

Weerasak

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New UC300ETH breakout board.

I see the UB1 is now listed on the cncroom site.
    Currently it's zero stock but as soon as it's available I will be ordering.

At $180 it's more money than the MB2 but I still think it's a very good price for the feature set.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's more money because it has a lot more components than the MB2, due to differences between the ESS and UC300ETH.
    The UB1-UC300ETH combo is still $90 less than the ESS-MB2.

I believe that the next UCCNC update should have support for the UB1, as CNC Room is currently doing software testing and working out some minor issues.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

You also save the cost of not having to buy a 5LPT with a UC300ETH.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vrasak View Post
    HI Derek

OK, I will find a solenoid coil and some others inductance loads then do a test for you.

Weerasak
    In video, I have tried with simple connection first. thought that If it's failed I will use flyback diode to kill the flyback from magnetic field and make an execute that connecting diode is a must. Luckily, it isn't failed. Actually, It is a must, following a best practice always avoiding future failure. Sorry, I can't find a good sentence for this saying.

If we notice the on steps signal (blue waveform in the oscilloscope). There is no interference noise on its floor. Isolation between controller (MCU) part and I/O parts helps on this issue.

Update, The PCB come back today. I will try to produce some of them in this week. Meanwhile, I will try to finish few pages of quick manual.

Thanks
    Weerasak

Downloads
    Uploads

You also save the cost of not having to buy a 5LPT with a UC300ETH.
    Forgot about that.
    That makes it about even with the MB2.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

FYI, this was in no way a dig. I understand that the board is more complex and therefore slightly more money.

I think it's a bargain.

Thanks for the update vrasak and thanks for all the hard work.

Looking forward to ordering a board and having a play.

Downloads
    Uploads

Didn't take it as a dig.

Yes, it is a bargain, as it's priced about the same as most 2 port boards that are out there.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Didn't take it as a dig.

Yes, it is a bargain, as it's priced about the same as most 2 port boards that are out there.
    To be honest I'm comparing it to the CSMIO product due to the differential line drivers and the 24v IO.
    The CSMIO is ÂŁ600, so the UB1 and a UC300eth together are a complete bargain in comparison.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vrasak View Post
    In video, I have tried with simple connection first. thought that If it's failed I will use flyback diode to kill the flyback from magnetic field and make an execute that connecting diode is a must. Luckily, it isn't failed. Actually, It is a must, following a best practice always avoiding future failure. Sorry, I can't find a good sentence for this saying.

If we notice the on steps signal (blue waveform in the oscilloscope). There is no interference noise on its floor. Isolation between controller (MCU) part and I/O parts helps on this issue.

Update, The PCB come back today. I will try to produce some of them in this week. Meanwhile, I will try to finish few pages of quick manual.

Thanks
    Weerasak
    Thanks Weerasak
    That looks really promising. So I believe what you are saying is even though the UB-1 is not using a flyback diode in the test it would be best practice if one was used.

I would make a recommendation that you offer these for sale along with the BOB as an additional item.

I really like how you are testing this stuff in what looks like a worst case scenario as far a wire routing. Good show!

Have you spoken to Balazs about whether the fault circuitry on the UB-1 will work with his DG4S servo drives.

Thanks
    Derek

Downloads
    Uploads

I would make a recommendation that you offer these for sale along with the BOB as an additional item.
    Just buy them on Ebay for $2.

10 x 1N4007 Rectifier Diode 1A 1000V & USA Free Shipping! | eBay

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I'm a big proponent of manufacturers offering/supplying things like this to go along with the products they sell. I want a UB-1. I also want to be able to scroll through a list of recommended items known to work with that item. If it needs a 24VDC power supply then offer one that works with the board. If it should have a certain diode then offer them for sale.

I manufacture car parts for some Japanese classic cars. When you open the bag if you need a 6X12mm cap screw to mount it then there is a 6X12mm cap screw in the bag. Even though I know in my heart of hearts that the person buying the item probably has 20 of them in their bolt bin.

Rant over

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by derek View Post
    I'm a big proponent of manufacturers offering/supplying things like this to go along with the products they sell. I want a UB-1. I also want to be able to scroll through a list of recommended items known to work with that item. If it needs a 24VDC power supply then offer one that works with the board. If it should have a certain diode then offer them for sale.

I manufacture car parts for some Japanese classic cars. When you open the bag if you need a 6X12mm cap screw to mount it then there is a 6X12mm cap screw in the bag. Even though I know in my heart of hearts that the person buying the item probably has 20 of them in their bolt bin.

Rant over
    But by that reasoning the flyback diodes should be included with your solenoids and relays as the best practice it to always use a diode with a coil driven part (nothing to do with the UB1 or any other controller).

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by matth View Post
    But by that reasoning the flyback diodes should be included with your solenoids and relays as the best practice it to always use a diode with a coil driven part (nothing to do with the UB1 or any other controller).
    I never said included. I said offered/supplied Offering small items with the BOB at an additional cost just makes good business sense. Selling a radiator hose? Maybe offer clamps as well. Not only that if I'm scrolling through a list of suggested items like standoffs, diodes etc etc then I may see something that I forgot or didn't even know I needed.

Downloads
    Uploads

When I bought my contactors from Automation direct, they recommended (and sold) the diodes required.
    And with contactors, most of those parts are made for the specific contactor, by the manufacturers, so they're not universal.
    24V coils are the exception, as they just require the simple 10 cent diode.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

If the manufacturer of a breakout board should offer and sell simple diodes for flyback use on coils, then with that thinking they should also supply FETs, bipolar transistors, etc, etc for other items driven by the outputs.

Problem is, as Gerry indicated, such parts are mostly tailored to the item being driven, so it's not really the responsibility of the BB maker to supply them. As for basic diodes they are freely available on Ebay, in electronic stores, etc.

If someone doesn't have a basic knowledge of what they need then should they even be going the DIY route in the first place.

Keith.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    If the manufacturer of a breakout board should offer and sell simple diodes for flyback use on coils, then with that thinking they should also supply FETs, bipolar transistors, etc, etc for other items driven by the outputs.

Problem is, as Gerry indicated, such parts are mostly tailored to the item being driven, so it's not really the responsibility of the BB maker to supply them. As for basic diodes they are freely available on Ebay, in electronic stores, etc.

If someone doesn't have a basic knowledge of what they need then should they even be going the DIY route in the first place.

Keith.
    IMO, installing the freewheel diodes on the BOB is not the best idea.
    What problems I see is if the BOB manufacturer installs the diodes on the BOB then the BOB requires an extra connection to the power supply positive rail where the user have to connect one end of the diode, this adds more connections, more screw terminals are needed which increases the size of the board.
    Or if both ends of the diodes are connected on the BOB then the BOB must have a positive rail connection and so the output can work only with that or lower voltage. The ability to connect different voltage solenoid and relay coils and relays is then lost, because if a higher coil voltage is used to run the coil than the power rail voltage then the diode will remain switched on always when the coil is energised.
    I prefer to add the diodes externally rather than installed on the BOB.

The BOB manufacturer supplying the diodes and other small items as extra optional items is a good idea though, I sure would purchase some of those, because I like when I can get the most items at the same place instead of having to look over lots of different shops to collect the parts required for an installation.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post

Keith.
    It's a dam good thing there are people that don't have that mindset, because if the criteria for DIY CNC was understanding how flyback diodes work then there wouldn't be a market for these breakout boards.

You win. You are the smartest guy here.

I'm out.
    Derek

Downloads
    Uploads

If it is enough to use ST-V2 BOB combined with UCC300ETH, what considerations to use a much more expensive BOB ...

New UC300ETH breakout board.-bob-st-v2-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

PHP Code:
    So I believe what you are saying is even though the UB-1 is not using a flyback diode in the test it would be best practice if one was used
    How to wire the flyback diode for good practice.

Last edited by asuratman; 08-02-2017 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Double posting

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast