My UCCNC probing screen and macros - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My UCCNC probing screen and macros

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My UCCNC probing screen and macros

Quote Originally Posted by Andreiir View Post
    U have an option to measure from outer dimensions , them middle of piece , how i can use other size material , for example , i need find middle of a 120/200mm .
    I have just published a short movie about that button. Have a look and tell me if it answers your questions about that macro and how to make it work with larger objects.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice info , and video , i am wonder if u could make an box where we can change directly the xy clearence .
    Just an thought .

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice info , and video , i am wonder if u could make an box where we can change directly the xy clearence .
    Just an thought .
    I am glad it helped you out. The change you propose is in my plans but for now I will not have time. I also have other ideas which could be useful as well, which is also a reason why I won't make any changes now. This Probe screen is just a few days old and I already made some changes without having a personal need for those changes, and I simply can't spend so much time with it. Sorry.

Downloads
    Uploads

I remove this post. I think the new installation routine has some errors in it so for now, please disregard.

Last edited by A_Camera; 05-12-2017 at 04:19 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    I remove this post. I think the new installation routine has some errors in it so for now, please disregard.
    Hi AC,

I never had a need for a probe since I'm in the woodworking field but your macro's sparked my interest. I'm looking at the Cnc4pc touch probe, and with a little more research on it I expect to own a touch probe in the very near future.

I tried installing your probe screen to check it out but gave me some trouble so I just decided to make it a plugin since you already supplied all files. The plugin works very well and there really isn't any setup procedure besides placing in plugin folder. I didn't feel comfortable posting without your ok since it uses your cropped screen and macro's. I seen you made the offer to use in another plugin in the cncdrive forum so I thought I'll ask.

Dan

My UCCNC probing screen and macros-ac-probe-screen-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

I need ur plugin if u want to share .

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dan911 View Post
    Hi AC,

I never had a need for a probe since I'm in the woodworking field but your macro's sparked my interest. I'm looking at the Cnc4pc touch probe, and with a little more research on it I expect to own a touch probe in the very near future.

I tried installing your probe screen to check it out but gave me some trouble so I just decided to make it a plugin since you already supplied all files. The plugin works very well and there really isn't any setup procedure besides placing in plugin folder. I didn't feel comfortable posting without your ok since it uses your cropped screen and macro's. I seen you made the offer to use in another plugin in the cncdrive forum so I thought I'll ask.

Dan

My UCCNC probing screen and macros-ac-probe-screen-jpg
    Hi,
    I understand you are not using probing often...

I am not a fun of plugins which bring up other screens on top of the main screen and which is expected to be used and then needs to be closed and opened again and so on... it is sort of confusing in my opinion. A plugin for this purpose is also limiting since you give no opportunity for the user to change relevant parameters, like Z clearance or probing size, or feed rate, which may be necessary, unless you are using the macros as M-calls and keep them as Mxxxxx.txt files. The macros in my probe are (were) set up for my own needs. I am also not thrilled by the idea that my buttons and layout is used. I can not prevent it but don't like it. The reason is mainly that it creates confusion and people may think I have created the plugin and if they get problems they will turn to me or blame me for the errors if the screen you bring up is basically identical to my original screen. So, I simply don't agree that this is a typical plugin task. I don't remember having said on CNC Drive forum about plugin, except that a plugin has some advantages, but I am not interested in making it a plugin out of it and that I prefer an integrated solution, which also has some advantages, even if installation is a bit more work. But... the files are available and I can't prevent any change or modification, so I have no means of preventing any changes or modifications.

Anyway, I have used the screen for a while now, and also taken it a step ahead, meaning that I am very near to release a new, HUGELY updated version, so basically if you make a plugin it becomes obsolete in a few days time. The new version will have more functions and several new fields for users to be able to configure the probing to their own needs. I am also working on a proper user manual, which I will finish before release. The new version will have a much simpler installation description as well and is going to be easier for non-metric users to use it as well. The new version will bring back the CAM, even if I don't find it useful, I understand some people may use it.

I'd appreciate if you'd create the buttons of your own design, or at least change the color scheme to make some other, clear distinction from my screen. I spent quite a few hours with those buttons, but can't prevent you or anyone else from reusing them so it is your decision. I am sorry, but I don't like the idea that you use the same buttons and layout and I don't agree that this is a typical task for a plugin. Quite the opposite, I think this is a typical function which should be a built in, integrated part of UCCNC, like it is in Gerry's screen. I'd be very annoyed with that window popping up every time I want to probe since I probe very often, but of course, somebody who rarely uses it, it may not be an issue.

Downloads
    Uploads

I need ur plugin if u want to share .

I think based on the previous conversations what you need is this...

My UCCNC probing screen and macros-probe-version-3-jpg

... but it is not available yet, except for me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    I understand you are not using probing often...

I am not a fun of plugins which bring up other screens on top of the main screen and which is expected to be used and then needs to be closed and opened again and so on... it is sort of confusing in my opinion. A plugin for this purpose is also limiting since you give no opportunity for the user to change relevant parameters, like Z clearance or probing size, or feed rate, which may be necessary, unless you are using the macros as M-calls and keep them as Mxxxxx.txt files. The macros in my probe are (were) set up for my own needs. I am also not thrilled by the idea that my buttons and layout is used. I can not prevent it but don't like it. The reason is mainly that it creates confusion and people may think I have created the plugin and if they get problems they will turn to me or blame me for the errors if the screen you bring up is basically identical to my original screen. So, I simply don't agree that this is a typical plugin task. I don't remember having said on CNC Drive forum about plugin, except that a plugin has some advantages, but I am not interested in making it a plugin out of it and that I prefer an integrated solution, which also has some advantages, even if installation is a bit more work. But... the files are available and I can't prevent any change or modification, so I have no means of preventing any changes or modifications.

Anyway, I have used the screen for a while now, and also taken it a step ahead, meaning that I am very near to release a new, HUGELY updated version, so basically if you make a plugin it becomes obsolete in a few days time. The new version will have more functions and several new fields for users to be able to configure the probing to their own needs. I am also working on a proper user manual, which I will finish before release. The new version will have a much simpler installation description as well and is going to be easier for non-metric users to use it as well. The new version will bring back the CAM, even if I don't find it useful, I understand some people may use it.

I'd appreciate if you'd create the buttons of your own design, or at least change the color scheme to make some other, clear distinction from my screen. I spent quite a few hours with those buttons, but can't prevent you or anyone else from reusing them so it is your decision. I am sorry, but I don't like the idea that you use the same buttons and layout and I don't agree that this is a typical task for a plugin. Quite the opposite, I think this is a typical function which should be a built in, integrated part of UCCNC, like it is in Gerry's screen. I'd be very annoyed with that window popping up every time I want to probe since I probe very often, but of course, somebody who rarely uses it, it may not be an issue.
    Hi AC,

I actually written this plugin for my own learning experience and not the need of a touch probe screen, it turned out well and why I posted here. Just for FYI the buttons could be mapped to any macro in configure window and are still easily editable. Also, a plugin is integrated as part of UCCNC just as any other method if not more IMO. What you describe is a preference, whether it's a fly out window. pop up window or full screen. This can be accomplished in any method UCCNC provides.

The part in your post I agree 200% on is work goes into any method and is why I certainly will respect and abide your wishes.

Nice Job!
    Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Also, a plugin is integrated as part of UCCNC just as any other method if not more IMO.
    In functionality, yes, but not in user experience.
    I agree with A_Camera, and much prefer these things to be integrated with the screen.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I agree with A_Camera, and much prefer these things to be integrated with the screen.

What you describe is a preference

I think this is two separate preferences ... Gerry aren't both your screen sets focused towards everything available in one screen without going to another ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Gerry aren't both your screen sets focused towards everything available in one screen without going to another ?
    They're more about adding functionality and making them more user friendly. It's really impossible to make a single page screen that would make everyone happy

What we're saying is that we don't like the pop up windows that the plugin runs in.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

We are straying from what I posted. My original post that started this discussion my fall short when it comes to a screen set but that's wasn't in discussion than.

Probe Window;

Screen set - Fly out window

Macro - tab with full screen window

Plugin - Pop up window

What I posted and seems went off topic is this is a preference but a plugin can achieve anyone of these methods.

Seems like I might of stepped on some toes using AC' s buttons... but this post was asking, he replied and won't be brought up again by me.

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

A Wizard can be the best of both worlds

AND you don't have to rebuild your screenset to use them efficiently. You can call them with a button , from teh MDI, Cal them from a pgae , call them from a menu, even call them from Gcode if you chose to.

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi TP! Have no clue of a wizard so posting about it I will most certainly put my foot in my mouth. I always assumed and categorized a wizard as a advanced plugin or macro?? What makes the difference?

Thanks,
    Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Thank you. Another thing is that for people who often rotate a piece, change tools manually and use probing often I think my solution is much more user friendly since once the G-code is loaded I don't have have to leave this screen, I have full control over the machine and the execution of the code.

Initially I also thought about a dedicated Probe pop-up but quickly dismissed the idea due to lack of user friendliness and flexibility. After that I thought I'll modify the main page, add buttons and use those to call the macros. I used my macros for quite a while this way, but realized that after every software update this is too demanding. So I modified/removed the CAM. Then Csaba (dezsoe) came along and made a few very important remarks in a PM he sent me and also gave me some new ideas and simplified installation. His installation didn't really work the way I was hoping it would, but his ideas and comments are valid. I made some additional experimentations with the UCCNC ssf file and found out how it is handled by UCCNC and now I understand it better (I think fully or at least to 99%). I managed to create a MUCH simpler installation procedure for a new tab, the one which I now placed just above the CNC Drive logo. It is not merged entirely into the UCCNC tabs row, but it is a new tab in UCCNC. I am still using the modified CAM screen, because I find it very useful for this purpose, but the original CAM is back and my probe screen is no longer destructive to any UCCNC functionality. Installation on top of a clean UCCNC takes now 1 minute for me and my guess is that it should not take more than 10-15 minutes for a normally intelligent person with low engineering experience to install it just by following my new manual and installation procedure. Easy, simple and non-destructive.

Anyway, this sort of thing is definitely best if it is part of the product, especially the version I am using now.

Downloads
    Uploads

Anyway, this sort of thing is definitely best if it is part of the product, especially the version I am using now.
    I still haven't read how using macro's make it more "part of the product" or more integrated. Creating a button or tab to call window is the same as any other method UCCNC provides to do this. What size the window is and what's inside it is the writers choice and preference.

There are many more advantages with doing this as a plugin, just addressing two referring to your previous post.

1. Easier setup, just drop plugin in folder and macro's in macro folder.

2. If uploading for other users to share with they can not use it other than the way you intended it to be used.

Regardless.... I'm looking forward to checking out your new version, so far from what I read and pics I seen it looks good.

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

I still haven't read how using macro's make it more "part of the product" or more integrated.
    I think you're completely missing our point. It's not a macros vs plugin argument.
    We just prefer it to be part of the screenset.
    That's why they make UCCNC so flexible. So we can all do it the way we want.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

I still haven't read how using macro's make it more "part of the product" or more integrated. Creating a button or tab to call window is the same as any other method UCCNC provides to do this. What size the window is and what's inside it is the writers choice and preference.

There are many more advantages with doing this as a plugin, just addressing two referring to your previous post.

1. Easier setup, just drop plugin in folder and macro's in macro folder.

2. If uploading for other users to share with they can not use it other than the way you intended it to be used.

Regardless.... I'm looking forward to checking out your new version, so far from what I read and pics I seen it looks good.

Dan
    Sorry, but I am not interested in arguing for, or against a plugin and definitely not going to change my approach, which suits me just fine. The idea was to share what I had, "as is" and not to make it into a community development product. It's your opinion against mine, and my opinion is that it is better this way, not necessarily easier to install than a plugin. "Easier" is not the same as better. If you disagree that's fine, but never the less, I will not make it into a plugin nor will I support the idea and will not continue this argument/discussion.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Dan, A Wizard has almost teh power of a plugin and teh simplicity of a macro and functionality of a page. It is open code so anyone can modify it for their preferences. It can also be modular and work with with other wizards to form complex programs and functions. It also does not require one to use an outside compiler

It can generate Gcode to run OR be the Conversational interface for motion control. It can be called from a button, MDI, directly from Gcode, from a menu, One wizard can call another into play as well.

With a Wizard to install simply drop the files into your macro Folder and you are ready to go. With a plugin you still have to initialize teh Plugin to UCCNC and create a function to call teh Plugin EASILY.

UCCNC Wizards ARE the Cats meow.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast