Honest Appraisal of UCCNC - Page 12

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2910111213 LastLast

Thread: Honest Appraisal of UCCNC

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Honest Appraisal of UCCNC

Having to rely on a competitor's product to make yours work is never a good idea (;-). Kinda like relying on motion control board manfs to support your CNC software.

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

I have read all the thread looking for info about UCCNC, i´m a Mach 3 user with a ESS and mach 2010 screenset and im very happy with my currently setup, but i belive a bored with mach 3 and i want to upgrade to UCCNC. Are the issues dicussed here already resolved? shall I upgrade?

Downloads
    Uploads

Which issues are you referring to? There have been a lot of changes to UCCNC over the last two years.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Which issues are you referring to? There have been a lot of changes to UCCNC over the last two years.
    Could you please tell me your most updated review about UCCNC ? I dont use the 4 axis so i dont care about that, all I do is 2.5 axis milling and some 3D carvings. Your Screen is great,I will not doubt to buy it again for the UCCNC... but i need to spend $250 bucks (card, software and screenset)

Do you still offer a vectric postprocessor for UCCNC? i did not see it in your website. I also use Fusion 360, by the way, i got the help of autodesk support to adapt the default fusion 360 post processor to work with your mach 2010 screen set.

Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't used it on a machine yet, only for testing. I have a UC300ETH, and will be using it on my new router, whenever I find time to build it.

I haven't done a Vectric post yet, as nobody's has really asked. It's pretty much the same as the Mach3 post, except for the Park position M code.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by karloterrazas View Post
    Could you please tell me your most updated review about UCCNC ? I dont use the 4 axis so i dont care about that, all I do is 2.5 axis milling and some 3D carvings. Your Screen is great,I will not doubt to buy it again for the UCCNC... but i need to spend $250 bucks (card, software and screenset)

Do you still offer a vectric postprocessor for UCCNC? i did not see it in your website. I also use Fusion 360, by the way, i got the help of autodesk support to adapt the default fusion 360 post processor to work with your mach 2010 screen set.
    it all works great. new features being added all the time- and some very clever people testing/ making macros and screens etc. (they know who they are)
    i have it running now for over 18 months - every day
    choose one of the eth controllers .
    i use vectric with mine most of the time.
    the best thing about it- the support. - things get fixed very quickly. - and you even get a proper explanation of what was found to be wrong!
    (mainly on new feature test releases)- you dont have to run these but a few of us do to help development.
    brendon

UCCNC powered uk machine sales
    https://cncrouter.uk/atc-cnc-routers.htm

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    I just wanted to find out if you are happy with th h uccnc and if you hit had arc to work well
    I have a linear tool fork setup.
    I would also want to add a laser head for engraving as tool #25... That could engrave a logo and then my router would cut out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just a quick update since I posted this a few years back, I have lost all interest in other software and have stuck with UCCNC. In fact I have just bought a UC300ETH further committing myself to the UCCNC platform. I haven't had chance to fit it yet and there really is no hurry as the UC100 hasn't missed a beat.

If my post is missing the n't you might have to mentally add it yourself.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by battwell View Post
    honest appraisal
    i own 7 routers.- all work horses...
    I really liked reading your response! I have a big Thermwood Router with a ES915, ATC, 4th Axis, etc. After long research/reading I'm moving to UCCNC. Mach4, and so many years of Mach3, have been such a struggle. The biggest trouble has been both M4 and M3 trajectory (CV) planner... there's been no way around the slow and jerky moves on short moves. Poor cut quality, high bit wear, and high stress on my machine have been the norm on all my high-detail jobs. Couldn't even tweak around the issue by shortening the accel/deccel in motor tuning... which is dangerous for mechanical drive parts (ball screws, rails, etc.). Put it this way... by the time a NEMA42, 80v, 7.8 amp, 4000 oz/in step motor starts to lose steps big trouble is soon to follow.
    So far my testing of UCCNC has shown over 9x speed improvement on wavey polylines with node spacing of 0.001" !! UCCNC is so much smoother and, as you noted, also increases detail/accuracy. I hope to be posting my UCCNC experiences and related short videos soon.

Thanks so much for your informative post!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Wait until they get the S-Curve planner done

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

I have read mention of the UCCNC not supporting the 4th axis. Is that different than slaving the A to the X motors so you can have 2 motors drive the X axis?
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am trying to learn all I can before taking the plunge into building a router.
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

I have read mention of the UCCNC not supporting the 4th axis
    It's not that it doesn't support a 4th axis. It doesn't have support for mixing rotary and linear feedrates, and does not display a rotary toolpath properly. But it will work with a rotary 4th axis.
    Is that different than slaving the A to the X motors so you can have 2 motors drive the X axis?
    Yes, it's different. UCCNC supports slaved axis just fine.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by maxperf View Post
    I really liked reading your response! I have a big Thermwood Router with a ES915, ATC, 4th Axis, etc. After long research/reading I'm moving to UCCNC. Mach4, and so many years of Mach3, have been such a struggle. The biggest trouble has been both M4 and M3 trajectory (CV) planner... there's been no way around the slow and jerky moves on short moves. Poor cut quality, high bit wear, and high stress on my machine have been the norm on all my high-detail jobs. Couldn't even tweak around the issue by shortening the accel/deccel in motor tuning... which is dangerous for mechanical drive parts (ball screws, rails, etc.). Put it this way... by the time a NEMA42, 80v, 7.8 amp, 4000 oz/in step motor starts to lose steps big trouble is soon to follow.
    So far my testing of UCCNC has shown over 9x speed improvement on wavey polylines with node spacing of 0.001" !! UCCNC is so much smoother and, as you noted, also increases detail/accuracy. I hope to be posting my UCCNC experiences and related short videos soon.

Thanks so much for your informative post!!
    if you want to deal with extreme small segments then DSP is the answer..
    UCCNC has.. and I think for mach3 also exist kind of hardware with DSP..

the point is processing the much data timely..
    so for those machines you might looking for some industrial control.. but on the end you going to get trouble always if you working with large straight cuts and same time with 1/8 sized letters example..
    either way your machine going to jerk or on large parts it going to be slow..

a plotter with servo can cut very small stuff very fast because the cutter head almost don't have a mass, your router has so heavy gantry and Z carriage that impossible to accelerating without machine falling apart..

Downloads
    Uploads

by the way if you can adjust in mach3 the segment lengths that producing the corners then mach3 can be very smooth

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by victorofga View Post
    if you want to deal with extreme small segments then DSP is the answer..
    UCCNC has.. and I think for mach3 also exist kind of hardware with DSP..

the point is processing the much data timely..
    so for those machines you might looking for some industrial control.. but on the end you going to get trouble always if you working with large straight cuts and same time with 1/8 sized letters example..
    either way your machine going to jerk or on large parts it going to be slow..

a plotter with servo can cut very small stuff very fast because the cutter head almost don't have a mass, your router has so heavy gantry and Z carriage that impossible to accelerating without machine falling apart..
    Sorry but I have to say that this is complete BS.
    A Gigabit ethernet connection can throughput upto 1Gbits per seconds which is 128 MegaBytes of data per seconds.
    A 100MBits connection can still throughput 12.5 Mbytes data per seconds.
    This amounts of data is far more than what is required to control any commercial CNC machines.
    There is absolutely no need to process data directly on the hardware which is what the chinese mean by "DSP", whatever it stands for in their language?!.
    A "DSP" system which has no computer, but calculates data on a microcontroller will also not be able to calculate and process more data than what a PC can calculate and throughput via an ethernet connection, and so what you saying makes no sense at all.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    It doesn't have support for mixing rotary and linear feed rates,
    Please correct me if I am wrong but what I think you are saying that it can control X,Y,Z,A at different speeds, and it can control all four axis at the same time, but it lacks the intelligence (for the want of a better word) to factor in how fast or slow the A axis needs to go to create a smooth cut?

Downloads
    Uploads

Sort of.
    Say you command a feedrate of 100ipm. When doing moves that include the rotary axis, the feedrate can be higher or lower, depending on where the Z axis is.
    Basically, it can't maintain the programmed feedrate when using a rotary axis.

This is on their "To Do" list, and hopefully they'll get to it later this year. They've added a lot of features in the last year, and have spent the last few months adding G41/G42 cutter comp.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    A Gigabit ethernet connection can throughput upto 1Gbits per seconds which is 128 MegaBytes of data per seconds.
    A 100MBits connection can still throughput 12.5 Mbytes data per seconds.
    Not disputing what you are saying but these figures are mostly theoretical. I have never seen the max speed in all the time I have been in IT.
    But even if it delivers no where near those numbers, there is no way a single chip at the source is going to compete with a PC for processing power and throughput.

Downloads
    Uploads

But even if it delivers no where near those numbers, there is no way a single chip at the source is going to compete with a PC for processing power and throughput.
    Exactly.

Downloads
    Uploads

What a DSP/FPGA or microcontrolller does well is the fine grained timing requirements that is necessary for low jitter step pulse output.

There are some step generation hardware that is good to several MHz. I use a uc300eth that can do couple hundred kHz step pulse. A super fast PC cannot do that without using some kind of external hardware or pci card.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2910111213 LastLast