UCCNC owners and support thread - Page 7

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: UCCNC owners and support thread

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: UCCNC owners and support thread

Quote Originally Posted by yassaa View Post
    Changed the computer and now everything works fine.. Thank you, and sorry for being ignorant
    It's great that it works with the new computer but by not knowing why it was not working before, you might get the same problems again. So, I think you should connect the old computer again and try to identify the cause. I asked before if you had the spindle running when you were jogging or not. It is very likely that the cause of the issue is simple interference, and one source could be if a wire was badly connected in the old computer, perhaps the network cable, and when you started the spindle it generated interference which disturbed the function. OK, it is a long shot if the same computer and same hardware is working with Mach3, but not with UCCNC, but anyway, I'd try to find out what caused the issue. I think Mach requires more computer resources than UCCNC, so it can't be that the computer is too weak.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    The apply button is not redundant, it is good to have if you realize that you have made several configuration changes, applied tested but you are not happy and just want to revert to the previous one. If you have saved the configuration you can't revert, you have to redo back everything. By not saving, just applying, you can just close and start up and you are back at the previous config. I hope CNC Drive is not going to remove the apply button.
    Unfortunately your confusing the apply button with a revert button. The apply button only tells the system to process the current settings it doesn't give you a way to go back to a previous setting that's a previous / revert button, once the apply button is pressed the settings are what they are. As I explained in my previous post an apply button is optional based on how the programmer tests for errors.

If my post is missing the n't you might have to mentally add it yourself.

Downloads
    Uploads

Unfortunately your confusing the apply button with a revert button. The apply button only tells the system to process the current settings it doesn't give you a way to go back to a previous setting that's a previous / revert button, once the apply button is pressed the settings are what they are. As I explained in my previous post an apply button is optional based on how the programmer tests for errors.

No, you can click Apply Settings, and the settings will take effect.
    Then, if you close UCCNC without Saving Settings, the settings will revert to their previous state.

So, in that case, no, it's not redundant.
    But the Apply is not needed if you just want to save settings.

A new version of UCCNC was released yesterday, that now shows a pop up status message while the settings are being saved.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    I don't think you understand what I meant...

The Apply button applies the settings but it does not save them. It is not a revert button, I know that very well. The reverting is done automatically if you close UCCNC and start it up again since UCCNC did not save the settings, it reverts back to the previously saved one.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Of course it goes without saying that applying without saving and closing / reloading the program will load the previously saved settings. It's not really reverting the setting if they are never saved, it is merely loading the last saved settings. But the apply button is still optional depending on the code. However a back button is probably not a bad thing to have when making changes like this, but the question would be what would you want to revert... everything since the last save or just the last change?

Actually it probably wouldn't be all that hard to do any number of changes since the save. Just need to store them in a buffer until saved then flush them. This actually would make for an interesting project... I think I would be inclined to save on each form instead of the traditional one step save for all. That way each axis / tab could have it's own buffer in case you only want to revert setting on that axis. The trick would be reverting just one setting when it wasn't the last.

Actually even that wouldn't be that difficult... If you had 10 variables that could be changed on every tab, and 10 different tabs you would only need to make a single 100 position array and store the old value in the specific array position, you could even probably roll back several changes to a single field with a multi dimensional array. Fairly simple stuff really.

Last edited by Bad Wolf; 05-18-2017 at 08:58 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Fairly simple stuff really.
    And totally unnecessary. 99% of all the settings in UCCNC are set one time, and never changed again. After the initial setup of course. But during inital setup, you really shouldn't be changing more than one setting at a time, unless you're a glutton for punishment.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    And totally unnecessary. 99% of all the settings in UCCNC are set one time, and never changed again. After the initial setup of course. But during inital setup, you really shouldn't be changing more than one setting at a time, unless you're a glutton for punishment.
    And I would 99% agree with you. I remember having to use a piece of paper and a pen to note down setting when I was setting up my CNC, so clearly that might have been assisted with some kind of backwards and forwards button to jog my memory of the last setting to work towards getting the measurements spot on. But yes agree, you generally only work on one axis at a time, so getting crazy with options is not necessary, but since it is not hard the question would be why not include it?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dan911 View Post
    What would surprise me if not going back to try and figure out, I know I would. Having it working on another system could help narrow it down.

Dan
    UPDATE
    I've been a couple of days working out of town, so I didn't have a chance to look deeper into it since yesterday. The problem was definitively latency which was OK when I checked it, but I didn't test it with the code running at that time. For some reason when the code starts running it shoots up over the chart and don't come back until stop is pressed. It is not happening neither with the newer i5 nor with the older P4 PC.
    Also I should mention that i have a virus on an old PC, some fahvyl.exe crap which proved impossible to delete within OS, but which managed to ruin UCCNC program files in a way that it changed profile shortcuts, which later messed up program files! It happened in the middle of the work, first HY plugin crashed and I was unable to stop the spindle, and after few restarts of UCCNC it stopped working altogether. When I tried to reinstall it, it happened that even the installation files were screwed! Only plasma screen was usable for that time, all other profile files were corrupted. I downloaded new installation files, did an antivirus sweep, and installed it again. For now it works, I did some job already, but damned fahvyl,exe is back again, so I need to exterminate it before I start doing anything else.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi folks,
    got an issue with UCCNC. Coming from Mach3 and finally getting around to setting it up. Weird problem. When I set the pin for PWM spindle, and either update or save settings, the number I typed disappeared. I realize that one has to enter 'enter' to tell the field that you are done typing, and I have tried this.

Further, hacking the xxx.pro profile file, setting the pin there does nothing. The max frequency worked when edited in the profile text file, but not the pin.

HELP!!!!

thanks!

edit: it does this to all the pins and direction dialogs, looses the entry if I try to save or apply.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you have a UC300, then you're probably using port 1, 4, or 5, where most of the pins are input only. Try using port 2 or 3.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

Is the problem saving the number in the default.pro or it just won't work on that pin? Saving from within the app has always been a bit buggy, and when I can't get it to save, I always edit the default.pro file. Make sure you are saving where you think you are saving, because the sections can look very similar. If it saves right it should have the right number in the app next time you open it. If the right number appears and it still doesn't work look at Gerry's suggestion.

Downloads
    Uploads

As Gerry wrote, you specify a wrong pin and/or port. Check your motion controllers manual to find which port-pin pair is input and which is output. When you select an input pin for PWM or anything else that should be output, UCCNC clears that port and pin when you press Apply.

Downloads
    Uploads

Bad Wolf,

What kind of saving problem do you have?

Downloads
    Uploads

Never had any problems with saving settings. Using uccnc on 2 machine for a long time now.
    Check if your folder and profile file is write protected.

Also press enter on the keyboard when finished with typing in the dro and make sure the port pin you typing in has the proper direction for your signal, like output pin for the PWM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dezsoe View Post
    Bad Wolf,

What kind of saving problem do you have?
    Last time it was with changing the Steps Per Unit, keep restoring the previous setting when trying to save, so I just modified the default.pro

Tried saving first, tried applying and saving, nothing seemed to work.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Last time it was with changing the Steps Per Unit, keep restoring the previous setting when trying to save, so I just modified the default.pro

Tried saving first, tried applying and saving, nothing seemed to work.
    The only reason for this is when the kernel frequency is not high enough for the given speed and steps per unit. You can check this by pressing apply on the axis settings tab (no need to save): if it changes to lower value, this will be the reason. Try higher kernel frequency to see if it works. If this is not the solution, send me your profile and the wanted settings and I'll check it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Saving from within the app has always been a bit buggy
    Yes, as others have said, it's not buggy at all.
    It might be a good idea for them to add some error messages to tell people why the values they are trying to enter will not work. But it's not bugs.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you have a UC300, then you're probably using port 1, 4, or 5, where most of the pins are input only. Try using port 2 or 3.
    Thanks, that worked a treat when set to a different port. I think the default of zero was getting me on the port. No port 0! Thanks guys for the quick response.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all that replied, i got that issue worked out.

Another question.

I have the 5port LPT carrier board for my UC300ETH. In the manual, it says that port 3 has 2 analog outputs, from 0-10v. I assume that this can be used to drive the spindle vfd analog inputs directly, instead of the need for a separate pwm->voltage board, or even a resistor/capacitor circuit? Seems like the description means just that.
    If that is the case and you can use the analog output directly to the spindle, what would be the correct settings for the vfd/pwm spindle? simple as port 3, pin XX (analog out)?
    Also, when I look at the manual, it shows 4 actual pins that are analog out. are they just mirrored and only 2 analog outs exist?

edited in the afternoon eastern time:
    Just tested the theory and indeed analog 1 has a differential voltage based on the spindle speed (when configured spindle for pwm, and pwm to analog in the io). About 3.2 volts for lowest speed (6k), and almost 10v for 24k speed. Is there a way to calibrate that?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by crashn; 08-23-2017 at 03:15 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dezsoe View Post
    The only reason for this is when the kernel frequency is not high enough for the given speed and steps per unit. You can check this by pressing apply on the axis settings tab (no need to save): if it changes to lower value, this will be the reason. Try higher kernel frequency to see if it works. If this is not the solution, send me your profile and the wanted settings and I'll check it.
    Nope the answer is a simple one

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    ...Also press enter on the keyboard when finished with typing in the dro...
    Yes, as others have said, it's not buggy at all.
    It might be a good idea for them to add some error messages to tell people why the values they are trying to enter will not work. But it's not bugs.
    I was trying to change Steps Per Unit from 200 to 200.4
    I don't know if I would call it an out and out bug, but I would go as far as saying it is poor programing if I need to hit an enter key (which I am not told in any instruction) before I can hit save or apply.

I have been programming on and off for 20 years and the problem is because the app is not "losing focus" or "validating" the data, so it requires the enter to be pressed to make it perform something that tells it to let go. Also it is replacing it with the original value if you try and press save or apply before hitting enter.

The only reason for calling another function that puts back the original value is if the new value contains characters that shouldn't be there. For example if I put a letter, or two periods in one number.

There are two ways to check for bad data, one is as the characters are being typed in, and the other is using a button or a call to perform a check once finished entering characters. So there are two fundamental programming faults with the input box, the first is it is wiping out a valid number and replacing it, and the second is that it is not releasing the text box to press the save or apply.

Last edited by Bad Wolf; 08-24-2017 at 06:25 PM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast