UCCNC owners and support thread - Page 8

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: UCCNC owners and support thread

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: UCCNC owners and support thread

There's an option to not require the Enter key.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    There's an option to not require the Enter key.
    Why on earth would you ever do that? That makes no sense whatsoever to do that in a program. But hey if it's in there let me go tick it. Although it should be ticked by default.

Found it under Appearance. Should be unticked by default.

Found the disable automatic jog panel popup too happy days.

If my post is missing the n't you might have to mentally add it yourself.

Downloads
    Uploads

While I am being critical about the little things I see wrong, I should point out that I see an awful lot of good stuff in this program. Some of the stuff is very impressive, so anyone reading my comments please don't think I am not impressed by the program because I can see an awful lot of good work has gone into making it. And while I might do it one way that isn't to say it is the only way to do it, programming is one of those things there are lots of right and wrong ways to do it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Why on earth would you ever do that? That makes no sense whatsoever to do that in a program. But hey if it's in there let me go tick it. Although it should be ticked by default.

Found it under Appearance. Should be unticked by default.
    There can be a reason for that. Let's say you click the X axis DRO to change it's value. You start typing, but somebody interrupts you, for example somebody calls you. You get back to the machine after the call and you forget that you started typing the text in the DRO, you just take a peak look on the machine position and maybe the toolpath view and and you press the Cycle start. Then the half typed wrong value is placed into the X DRO as soon as you clicking the start button the DRO picking up the wrong position and the cycle starts so there is a possibility for a crash. If I was the programmer I was likely to even make an option to place a message and interrupt the button presses if they were pressed when a DRO is still in focus.

Downloads
    Uploads

I can understand the need for some kind of commit action in the DRO, but not in a configuration setting. To have a user take any additional steps that are not really necessary is really a programming no no. (I'll add a caveat here... When the effort to remove said extra step is so exhaustive, that it doesn't make practical sense to try).

Since you have to hit save or apply to save the settings in the configuration pages there should be no reason to ever hit enter on the bulk of those settings. I do however think it is a nice optional safety precaution for the DRO only, better yet (one of my favorites) grey out all the buttons that can cause a crash until the DRO loses focus.

I prefer to prevent over a warning message, and reserve messages only for when the wrong input has been made. There is a fine line between bombarding a user with too many messages and not enough intuitive information. i.e. if I keep doing something wrong tell me what I am doing wrong. If I can muck something up by pressing the wrong button then prevent me from pressing it.

Last edited by Bad Wolf; 08-24-2017 at 07:29 PM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678