Need Help! Import STL

Thread: Import STL

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Import STL

I have bought Bobcad V24 a while back and I am just getting to the point were I need to use it and of course my tech support has expired. I have messed around with the Cad part some but I am mostly interested in the Cam portion of the software. I have been using Cubify for quite a while and I am able to use it comfortably and I will continue to use that for the Cad portion. I have imported the .STL files into some other software I have demo'd and they import and they work fine to create toolpaths etc but for some reason I cant get Bobcad to select the parts that I want. So I file open the .STL file. I use the 2d shapes to create the stock (this could be where I am going wrong). Go to the Cam Tree, select stock, highlight all it and it turns light green. From my understanding that is what it should do.

So I selected "Milling Stock" and "Machine 2 Axis" and then "Profiling" and at the point where I have to select Geometry I select the part and in the window that is supposed to show you the geometry I get nothing. I have tried everything I know how to do, which isnt much but I followed the tutorials on youtube with not luck. I am missing something and I dont know what it is. I am betting that I need to extract edges or faces or something like that. Just not sure. Does anyone have any idea of why I wouldnt be able to select the geometry? I know that is hardly answerable with the info that I gave. I can attach a simple file in .stl or stp or a bunch or different file types if some one wants to open it up.

Also happens with other formats that I have tried like .igs and .stp

thanks in advanced

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by nate4567; 04-29-2014 at 01:05 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Import STL

Hard to tell, but it sounds like you're trying to select the .stl as the geometry for a Profile feature. The 2D toolpaths will only use 2D geometry, (lines, arcs, splines, etc.). In the case of .stl, since it's a mesh, you can't use <Extract Edges> to get such geometry, but for the others, it ought to be possible. You can select the .stl model as geometry for a 3D toolpath.

Luke

"All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I can export to .stp .igs .sat which should be 3d formats. I can get the extract edges from solid to work on the .sat file's but I have been trying to figure this our for long enough that I am ready to give it away. For some reason I am not able to figure this out

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

With the .stp and .igs files, it might help to save the file, once you've imported them. I seem to recall reading that BobCAD might not fully "lock in" everything until it's saved. Just a guess, though. Getting used to something as complex as CAM software takes time. Be patient, and once you find the right workflow, it'll all click.

Luke

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So I finally figured out how to get a DWG and a DXF file out of Cubify. Will that help Bobcad figure it out a little better, or should I leave it 3d. I am assuming from what I have read that I am looking for 2.5d because it gives better results and is faster. I will see if I can get bobcad to see any difference.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The STL file type in bobcad is limited on what you can do with it.
    You can open , reposition , and scale in cad .

In cam you can just 3D toolpath it . The models has no edges and is a mesh .

If you try to save out of bobcad as another file type it still will not work .

MikeG

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So I am a little lost, mostly because I am new to this. So I see alot of people discussing 2.5d vs 3d cam software. From what I have read, deskproto and mesh cam are good HOBBY priced, cam software, but are mostly for 3d paths. I dont want to get a scalding reply so after I post this I am going to do some more reading.

So if I import a .dwg or dxf into bobcad and then can run 2d tool paths and all is good, but as I would expect there is no depth to the part. This would then make it so I have to go in and set all the depths for each individual operation according to the xyz 0 in the cad software. That seems really redundunt and I think I am missing something. Once I get the 2d file loaded into Bobcad, is it correct that I have to manually enter the machining depth? I thought I had a pretty good handle on how this all works, but I have been using 3d software that did it all itself like DeskProto and Mesh cam and I could set boundries to make it act more like a 2.5 machining opeation. I would continue to use them except I have no options on how to enter the material, DeskProto has a ramp feature, but only works for the first moves and then it just plunges which is hard on non-center cutting bits in steel like 440c and A-2. If this all sounds correct. I will continue to play with it until I get it now that I am seeing the trouble with the way I was doing it before. Thanks for the help, it has been very helpful

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You're right about having to manually enter the depths of features to be cut using 2D geometry. It's part of the process of defining the feature, and the various feature wizards guide you through the process. The software automates this to the degree it can, but when setting up toolpaths, you often want a pretty fine degree of control over the process.

It's very easy, in most 3D CAD packages, to take 2D geometry, and "extrude" it into a 3D solid. That can allow you to transition into 3D features when necessary. 2D toolpaths are generally much faster than 3D toolpaths, when they can be used to the same ends, so it's common to use them where possible, in the name of efficiency. BobCAD has both, and choosing which one is best in a particular situation is part of the learning process.

Luke

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK, so I built all my files using Cubify because I find it easier for my brain to understand. So I need to export as 2 files, a STL or SAT and a DWG or DXF. I then get both files lined up with the same xyz0 and use the DWG/DXF for everything I can via 2d and then everything that is left I use the .STL to create 3d toolpaths. This is going to take some time, I am starting with some pretty complicated parts with lots of different depths. So I need to use the cad software to figue out the depths that I need to plug in for the different operations. OK, I think I understand how to do this. Thanks for all the help. I know that bobcad is a cad software but I dont know if I would be able to build this part in there or not. I tried to use the cad portion and is far more complicated then Cubify. I would imagine that it is just the way my head works.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Nate,here is a couple of great videos Al did recently.They look right up your alley.

Even though you have V24,lot's of this is relevant.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by nate4567 View Post
    OK, so I built all my files using Cubify because I find it easier for my brain to understand. So I need to export as 2 files, a STL or SAT and a DWG or DXF. I then get both files lined up with the same xyz0 and use the DWG/DXF for everything I can via 2d and then everything that is left I use the .STL to create 3d toolpaths. This is going to take some time, I am starting with some pretty complicated parts with lots of different depths. So I need to use the cad software to figue out the depths that I need to plug in for the different operations. OK, I think I understand how to do this. Thanks for all the help. I know that bobcad is a cad software but I dont know if I would be able to build this part in there or not. I tried to use the cad portion and is far more complicated then Cubify. I would imagine that it is just the way my head works.
    Coming from cubify you want to use SAT to bring your solid in. You don't need the 2 format/line them up route....

Since you have V24, you'll have to use "extract edges" to get geometry to use for the 2d toolpaths. The next version and newer ones of BobCad will interact with the 3d solid in the 2d features and get all the depths and do the selections without going to 2d edge extraction. For V24, some of that part is still manual work to do,

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So if I was to upgrade to v26 what version do I need to get the functionality that you are talking about? I see v26 express as an option which might be do-able, does that have the ability to do what you are saying or does it have to be pro or something with a more options. This is for hobby use only and I cant spend 2500 of software.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by nate4567 View Post
    So if I was to upgrade to v26 what version do I need to get the functionality that you are talking about? I see v26 express as an option which might be do-able, does that have the ability to do what you are saying or does it have to be pro or something with a more options. This is for hobby use only and I cant spend 2500 of software.
    I think the things I mentioned came in at V25, with some slightly better additions in V26. The things I spoke of are the interaction with the solid/surfaces with regard to the cam. (depth picking from solids and surfaces. Pockets from surfaces etc...)

The "Level" packages you mention are more related to what "toolpaths" the package has. I think all levels operate in the same way, just different options available. I think V26 Express is "CAD" for sure, and 2d toolpaths, with 1 3d toolpath.

But that's not a decision to make based off someone in a forum. I'm not really an expert on the packages provided by BobCad.