Newbie BobCad/Cam selecting....

Thread: BobCad/Cam selecting....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default BobCad/Cam selecting....

Brand new to BobCad/Cam and I am trying to use the CAM functionality to produce parts for the Joe's CNC v2.
    The first part I am trying to figure out is the left side of the Z axis assembly. I've run into a couple of snags already.

1. First operation I set up is to drill the through holes. My problem seems to be selecting them. It takes a few clicks for each one. Thinking it can't be that hard and I really do know how to use a mouse, I thought I'd ask here if there is some secret handshake method for selecting them.

2. It seems when I get to the large hole/pocket in the middle, the cut generally works up until the very end where the ellipse is, simulation cuts some extra material as if there is something "hidden" that the cam processor is trying to deal with. It's not blatantly obvious, to me anyway, how to examine such a problem much less fix it.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    BobCad/Cam selecting....-leftside-png

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

This video should help you get started.

Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Downloads
    Uploads

When working with Solids or surfaces for 2D machining you can RT click on the edges and choose Constant Z or loop to pick your geometryBobCad/Cam selecting....-rt_click_on_edge-png.

The other option is to convert the surface edges to wire frame, from there you can use a color selection, or chain selection or layer selection.

The above video should help you understand these concepts. If it doesn't let me know.

Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

bobcad guy

hi ck, 1st of all. its really hard to help, when we don't know anything about what your doing, if you can post a file with your issue, it will prolly be solved in 10 mins or less, just so you know. that said, not sure why selecting a hole would require more than 1 click, maybe its a spline. if its not a flat surface, bob wont see it as a hole. maybe the hole is segmented, in which case, if you click on one segment, it will still drill the hole in the right spot, you don't HAVE to click the whole, hole. like if you have a slot, you can click the arc at each end to drill them, it will take the center of the arc, same as the center of the hole. problem 2, the pocket, no idea from what your giving. perhaps you have a break in the geometry. sometimes the arc centers going from one cad to another might be set to different tolerances, and get a little out of alignment, and need to be regenerated. sometimes you need to delete the arc, and simply redraw it. good luck

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Several good tips there. AS bobcadguy points out, there are so many possible use cases that you see, "post a file" in just about every other thread. The forum won't accept a raw .bbcd file, but will take .zip. Standard practice is to right click the file, select [Send To], and then [Compressed (zipped) folder]. Attach the folder to the post, and it becomes easy for folks to see what's going on, including all of your settings, the geometry you're working from, etc.

Luke

"All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

Downloads
    Uploads

A sample file would make it easier.

For the first problem, I find that you just need to click on the top edge of the hole to perform a drill operation on it. You can select as many as you like, so long as they are the same size. Remember that there is a setup for the amount the tool goes through the hole, which gives it a little extra to completely through, so if you are finding that you are re-entering that data all the time, you can configure how much you want to over-drill a through hole so that it's always set up the way you want automatically.

For the second problem, it is possible that you have a gouge created by the start/end of the motion, but depends a lot on which strategy you are using there. If that's the problem, it is just that the entry or exit of the cut is at the corner, where it would be better if it were placed in the middle of a straight section. This is changed by going to the CAM tree, right clicking on "Chain Start Point" or something to that effect. Then you just click on the perimeter of the cutout where you want the start point to be adjusted to, right click on the screen and click "OK". If that's not the issue, you'll need to provide your file so we can see the problem.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for the late follow up and thanks for the info. Posting a file for people to see/check would have been the "smrt" thing to do, sorry bout that.

Shortly after I posted the issue, I figured out how to extract edges, which worked great. I'll check the video posted above as well as try the other solutions/tips.

Again, thanks for the help.

-C

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: BobCad/Cam selecting....

Hey al i'm having an issue with step files. I run them trhough the stock wizard but then when i get to creating a machining operation nothing is able to be selected. What am i missing?