Build Thread Ideas for Tutorials

Thread: Ideas for Tutorials

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Ideas for Tutorials

Hi All,

This is Sean from BobCAD-CAM Technical Support. Dealing with issues on a daily basis I notice that a lot of problems could be solved with tutorial videos that overview common issues that would be run into on a daily basis of using the software. I have decided to create this build thread to get ideas for creating a tutorial video. Ideas can be submitted until 4/26/2013 at 8am, and the Top 5 ideas will be chosen by the technical support team to be featured in a poll voted by you users for creation of one tutorial video. Please enjoy and PM me or respond in this post for any questions related to this.

Sincerely,
    Sean Daugherty
    BobCAD-CAM Technical Support

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Just one tutorial video to be made?Are we talking 5-10 minutes or a 1/2 hour or what?Just a suggestion,a series of videos done by Sorin.He really" connects "with the viewer.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Advanced Surfaces. Something along the lines of the column capital that Al recently posted on the After Dark page, where heavy manipulation of surfaces gets explored.

Luke

"All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

Downloads
    Uploads

Ideas for Tutorials-column-capitol-jpg

I taking a guess,is this a column capitol?
    Yes that would make for a good video.
    By the way Luke,you have a great voice for videos.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yep, that's the picture I was thinking of. Al was hesitant to do a tutorial, I think because it would get pretty involved, but since Sean asked for input.. It wouldn't necessarily have to be that actual piece, just something that gets down & dirty with complex surface work was what I had in mind.

The voice is just a matter of not letting my inner terror show too much.

Luke

"All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The length will vary depending on the subject chosen. It may end up as more than one video from the 5 that the poll will have, but the video that is chosen with the highest number of votes will be the first made. Sorin will not be doing the video, this is a video that will be done by the technical support department, and more than likely will be completed by me.

Downloads
    Uploads

I see people asking quite a bit about what to do if they need to tap a hole and the tap is not listed in the tools.I have answered many times,but for those that have this problem I think a video showing exactly what is involved,and why,, into manipulating the software to spit out the correct code would be helpful.
    Also how to thread mill a pipe thread with a single point thread mill.How to draw the helical,the lead ins/outs,how to program the CAM.This has been another question I have answered many times,but a video would probably explain the process better.

Downloads
    Uploads

How about a good thorough video exploring all features in the simulation.Getting into the analysis and sorts.An in depth look.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would watch a video that chose one of the mutiaxis toolpaths and explored "all" the settings within the feature. Essentially, hitting every area of the feature, with a visual on how that setting affects/manipulates the outcome/desired result.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Sean,
    How about a video detailing what each symbol means inside a post processor, and how to edit same. This I have pretty well mastered, at the expense of some "surplus" brain cells. LOL

We're not in business to make parts, we're in business to make money, making parts is just how we do that.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Joe, what symbols are you talking about exactly? Items such as x_f,xr,zr, and so on?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This will close down on Friday. Does anyone have anymore suggestions for videos?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Sean,
    Example
    Code:
    1. Start of file programmed zero
       "(PROGRAM NAME - ",prog_name,")"
       "(POST - ",machine_make,machine_model,")"
       "(DATE - ",output_date,")"
       "(TIME - ",output_time,")"
       user_comment_1
       user_comment_2
       user_comment_3
       user_comment_4
       user_comment_5
       user_comment_6
       user_comment_7
       user_comment_8
       user_comment_9
       user_comment_10
       user_comment_11
       user_comment_12
       user_comment_13
       user_comment_14
       user_comment_15
       "  "
       n,rapid_move,"G17",inch_mode,"G40","G49",cancel_drill_cycle,absolute_coord,work_coord
       n,rapid_move,"G53","Z0."
       "  "
       system_comment
       feature_name_comment
       "  "
       n,"M06",t
       n,stop
       n,spindle_on,s
       n,rapid_move,absolute_coord,work_coord,force_x,xr,force_y,yr,rotary_xyr_angle,
       n,rapid_move,length_offset,coolant_on
       output_rotary_angle
    explain how the " " indicates to BobCad to treat the line as a comment/print statement? while (xxx ) treats the comment inside as a comment in the G code. To Non-Programmers it would seem arcane as to why so much punctuation is required. Explain what the punctuation does, and the significance of the variable names.

this statement:
    Code:
    n,"M06",t
    please explain how it numbers the M06 call as Tx . . . what the "n" means in it's context in each line. We program in G code for the machines but are Often less skilled coding for computers.
    Bottom line (I believe) your customer base is largely small time operators and hobby operators who MAY not be programmers in any sense, who would just adore you for the opportunity to actually understand what the post processor is doing and why. The "Old Salt" machinists here who can walk right through this probably do not remember how they struggled to learn it. Anyway I did (struggle), anyway you asked and I gave my (sometimes worthless) opinion.

BTW thanks for those tutorials, helped me out several times.

Last edited by Joe S.; 04-24-2013 at 07:59 PM.
    We're not in business to make parts, we're in business to make money, making parts is just how we do that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    How about a good thorough video exploring all features in the simulation.Getting into the analysis and sorts.An in depth look.
    I like this idea, I second this one

V25.0 3 axis pro, standard sim, Bobart standard

Downloads
    Uploads

Are we still on for some videos Sean ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We did not get a ton of input on ideas for tutorials, so I will do a video that covers the different aspects of the simulation. I hope to have this video completed this weekend and sorry for the delayed response, it has been a hectic few months.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all,
    This maybe late, but what about a tutorial on how to threadmill a NPT taper thread in V24, (1" npt 1" deep, using a tipped threadmill cutter that only as 5 pitches on the tip), this would be good to do all threadmill in all versions.
    Other threadmilling, ie metric, BSW, would also be good.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Ideas for Tutorials

bump
    I know,I am a pita

Default Re: Ideas for Tutorials

Sean, Steve Fornelius (theclockdoctor@aol.com) here.

As I've suggested numerous times before, get someone off the street with basic computer skills, and run the tutorials through them. The reason is the pages and pages of bug reports about the tutorials I sent during my initial support period. I note that now I can't update the software I have to the newest build. I though this would be a continuous support through to the next version. Am I wrong in assuming this, and that any updates will require that I pay another $350 for support? As I have advised sales, if I do this, you'd better have someone ready to walk me through something every day, because I don't like tutorials that don't work and force me to buy support packages.