Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More help please

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default More help please

Hey Gang,
    Yes it is me again needing more help.
    Got my repaired board back from Jeff, great service!!! Also, got a new board just in case I let the smoke out again!!!
    Anyhow, this is what I have so far. Working on my lathe now, I have it all wired up( Smoke still intact). The motors lock up good and tight( yes, the smoke is still in there) but I get no movement at all. So I check the port settings on the PC, 0378 is what I have and that is what Turbocnc calls for. So I was thinking that my cable from the printer port is not wired correctly. The display says the axis's are moving, but they are not.
    So, how can I check that the ribbon to the Priniter port is correct, and what can I do to correct this, if in fact that is the problem.
    I have tried swapping the wires from side to side, still no movement.
    As always, many thanks for the help
    Smitty

Downloads
    Uploads

Make sure the "enable" pins are set in turbocnc.

Eric

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If it's a xylotex board (sorry, dunno who jeff is!) the enable pins are on the board, and you will need to ground them. There is a small looped wire plug you get with the board for this.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

The enable pins on the board are set. I have the wired plug for the board. I will check in Turbocnc to verify that as well.
    This is a Xylotex board, and this is the one that I burned up the first time.
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks again,
    Smitty

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Motor wires

Are you sure you have you motors wired right?

Also want to make sure you have your ena plug the right way!

I have an .INI file for turbocnc that I use with my xylotex board. If you want it ill send it to you thru your email if you would like?

My little piece of the web!
    http://users.adelphia.net/~wjdupont

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ah, Woodknack.
    As of right now, I do think I have the wires set right. I ohm'd the wires and got my pairs, then set them to the board, and this time all the smoke is still inside! That is the good part, but once powered up, the motors lock, so they are getting power, but no movement.
    The ENA plug is in right. I checked my Mill's settings and set the lathe the same, still no go.
    I wonder if the printer port on this PC is no good. Is there a way to check this?
    Thanks for the help
    Smitty

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

forgot my E-mail
    Smittysspeedworks@attbi.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You could double check the step/direction pins are setup ok in turbocnc, I'm just looking for some dos software to check your par-port is good....

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just swapped in my Mill PC to the lathe, and the motors now move.
    I have checked and double checked the settings from the mill PC to the LAthe PC. I guess I need to look closer. I am missing something..... I even used the NEW driver board, so I know it is not the board.
    Is it possable to disable the printer port in the PC settings?

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Last thing I noticed.
    The motors did not move smoothly, seem to be a little more choppy then then my Mill's motors, any ideas on that one.
    Rv on the board is set at 3.6v
    I might lower that and see what hapens

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The parallel port can be disabled in the bios. It could also be a faulty cable. As for the choppiness, maybe something to do with the microstepping? If your two setups are the same, you could always copy the *.ini file from the good one to the bad one. This would ensure all settings are the same. I thing I read it right that you have two pc's and two boards!

Downloads
    Uploads

The parallel port can be disabled in the computer bios. You need to hit delete on bootup to get the bios settings(on most "clone" computers.)

Eric

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Forgot about the BIOS. Getting old!
    Yes, I have 2 PC's and 2 boards. Figured that would make life easier, SURE!!!!
    Anyhow, I am in the process of swapping my lathe motors to the mill, to check if the choppyness is still present, will let you know. I also will dive into the BOIS, and see what I can really mess up in there

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok,
    Went into the BIOS, all ok in there. Swapped the mill PC in, get the same choppyness out of the steppers. HMMMMM!
    Swapped the Lathe PC back in, and POP goes the weasle! Another board up in smoke.
    I think it is time to sell the farm boys.
    Thanks for all the help, only time and frustration and more money of course will get this done.
    Smitty

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lets double check your motor wiring. What info do you have on the motors? Ser number, anything! I'll see what I can find out whilst your waiting for your new board to come!

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Actually,
    When I sent my old board in for repair, I had Jeff send me a new board as well, ' cause I knew I would smoke another one!!!
    The motors I have are the powermax 2, 116oz motors.
    The way I was told to set them up is too OHM the wires, and find the pairs. That I have done, at least they worked when I had the Mill PC hooked up. Why I fried another board, I have no clue. Might be that I do not have things mounted solid, as I was working between boards and PC's. The thing that really confuses me, is that I get no movement when using the Lathe PC. That is why I think the port on the PC is no good, they worked ok when using the Mill PC. Have not had any trouble with that one(Mill PC)
    Thanks for your help, as you can see, I am not an electronic wizard.
    Smitty

Downloads
    Uploads

hook up a printer to the suspect pc. with something on the screen in dos, hit "printscreen" key. It should print whatever is on the screen..no printer driver required. That should verify the parallel port.

Sorry about your bad luck

Take an hour or two off. Go for a walk. Clear your head. It may come to you.

Eric

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

That is just what I am doing now.
    BAD LUCK???
    If it were'nt for bad luck, I'd be in bad shape! LOL
    Still have one more board to go, before Jeff cuts me off.
    Smitty

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Since I have the same motors as you, I will offer you my advice. I have mine wired up as bipolar series, there is a wiring diagram on the xylotex webby for how to do this. It will take the guess work out of finding the pairs! Wired this way, they will only need 1.75 Amps, therefore your Vref (3.6 I recall) is waaaay too high. Mine is set to 2.52 V on each axis, which will give 1.75 Amps. With your power supply hopefully being not more than 24v, you should be safe. Like Balsaman said, take a break, then come back, undo everything, and start again. Take a print off of the info on the xylotex website and keep it in front of you when wiring your motors, and you shouldn't go wrong. Good luck!

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

I took that break, got some lunch and installed the other board I have.
    So far, smoke still intact, but still no movement. I really think the problem lies with the PC that I have, since I can swap in my Mill PC, and all is good. So I am off to thump the guy that sold me this used PC, and see if he will make good on the deal. I wonder if it matters if the guy that I bought it from, is my BOSS?
    Oh well, we all deserve a good thumping now and then.
    I will keep you all posted
    Smitty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast