Lathe help

Thread: Lathe help

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lathe help

Hey gang,
    Well I am about to convet my lathe to CNC, and going to get a jump on writing programs for it. I have the Mill figured out, ok more than I did before, but the lathe seems a lttle harder to do.
    What I have is, I am milling a tube with numerous procedures. Now, the first one is a slot or groove, that was easy.
    The next one is a series of grooves, then at the bottom, a clean up pass or two the full lengh of of the slot ( .960) to be exact.
    So how can I program the X axis and the Z axis without having to calculate the moves? Meaning, can I get the start of the groove and the end of the groove, and make everything happen in the middle of the groove witha simple "G" code.
    Sounds stupid, but I sure can't figure it out!
    I thought about G81, but I still need to figure each move, which is ok, just a lot of writing.
    Thanks in advance,
    Smitty

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

If it's a straight line you can use G01....just move to the start point, and put in G01 X** Z** (end point of the groove). Perhaps I misunderstand what you are trying to do...

Eric

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, it is kind of hard to explain.
    I have found when making these parts, that it is faster and easier to make a series of grooving cuts, then make a finish pass like you would normally do on a lathe from right to left. What I was tryin to do is use a "G" code for the grooving cuts, since I figure there will be a 50 moves there alone. Well, nothing better than time to expeirment and see what happens, or breaks!
    Thanks Eric
    Smitty