Need Help! Suitable CAM package - Anilam Crusader 2

Thread: Suitable CAM package - Anilam Crusader 2

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Suitable CAM package - Anilam Crusader 2

Hi all,

I'm running a Bridgeport Series 1 mill with Anilam Crusader 2 CNC. I appreciate this is an old system, but it still works great and I cannot justify upgrading just yet.

The crusader has an RS232 25 pin port on the rear which I want to connect to the serial port on the computer. I want to be able to convert basic 2D drawings from Solidworks to a suitable CAM package in which I can then feed through to the Crusader 2. I have little experience in the CAM side of things, and the programming of the Crusader has so far been done manually. This is long winded and time consuming.

Can anyone give me some advice in to what software will be compatible with the Crusader 2 and how to go about achieving my goal? I have read about a 'post processor' which converts from CAD to CAM and machine code. How should I go about finding the correct one for my Crusader 2?

Thanks,
    Jim

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Suitable CAM package - Anilam Crusader 2

A postprocessor doesn't really do all that. The CAM program translates your drawing into toolpaths; all the post-processor does is customize the toolpath into G-code that's written for your particular machine. Little things like percentage signs before the program or spaces between commands can make the difference between a program that runs correctly and one that just throws out errors. The "post" makes sure it has everything your machine wants.

VisualMill Standard Edition from Mecsoft would do what you want, and there's a version that plugs into Solidworks. If there isn't already a post for the Crusader, Mecsoft will write one for you for free with your purchase; just send them an example of some code that works on it.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok thanks for the reply, I will look into it.
    It seems I have other issues first.

Thanks again,
    Jim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Most any cam prog can do what you would like. Just make sure they will take care of the PP for no cost if one does not exist. Like mentioned above

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You might want to investigate CamBam. It has a large user community with tons (and TONS) of free support for new post-processors and all sorts of ingenious plugins and scripts available for free.

I make machines (commercially) to manufacture explosives, and although CamBam is not THE most-sophisticated CAM out there (nor the most expensive!), it does everything I need.

It's also easy to learn, very capable, and the user support is phenomenal.

Lloyd

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

Please take a look at Dolphin PartMaster. It can import IGES, STEP and DXF files and convert them to Anilam Crusader II format.

We have a post process that is know to work.

More importantly, we can give you details about the cable configuration and how to setup the RS232 port on the controller to send and receive files.

www.dolphincadcam.com

Andre Mann
    Dolphin Cadcam Systems Ltd

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the replies guys. Both look like potential options. But to be honest considering the age of my Crusader I feel like It may not be able to take advantage of a lot of Dolphins features. Could I be wrong?

Plus it also comes down to cost. Cambam is £99 one off and it is possible to write your own post processor.

Can anyone throw anymore names into the mix? Preferably with anilam crusader 2 support.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Plus it also comes down to cost. Cambam is £99 one off and it is possible to write your own post processor.
    --------
    Yep... AND there are about three dozen 'regulars' on the CamBam forum that will help you do it (with kid gloves, no less!)

Lloyd