Need Help! X-AXIS runaway

Thread: X-AXIS runaway

Downloads
    Uploads

Default X-AXIS runaway

here in the last week the x-axis has been starting to "run away" and faulting out quite a bit. Have checked axis lag, and all 3 are at .015. What to dianose next?

Have the baldor "big mho" motors on it.

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: X-AXIS runaway

Usually that indicates a faulty connection between the controller and the encoder related to the servo motor that's having a problem.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

years ago i had a tree 320 that had the control on a pedestal mounted on top of the cabinet for the axis drive cards and the coolant/ chips being blown off the tables the pedestal allowed the coolant to drip on to the drive boards causing it to run away
    otherwise i would say the same as awerby

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolman View Post
    here in the last week the x-axis has been starting to "run away" and faulting out quite a bit. Have checked axis lag, and all 3 are at .015. What to dianose next?

Have the baldor "big mho" motors on it.

Thanks
    What servo drives are you using? It sounds like one possibility is something wrong with the tach voltage output from the motor, or the wiring to the motor.
    If the encoder signal is being picked up, and you can see the position display counting, the encoder is probably not suspect.

I had recently restored a Tree Journeyman 320, that uses the same motors, and the ServoDynamics 15xx servo drives. I had the same issue that you were having, so I removed the drive belt to avoid any major problems. After tracing signals and other troubleshooting I discovered a bad crimp fitting on one of the servo motors tach wires at the drive board. As soon as I re-terminated the connection everything worked with no runaway condition.

Bill

Last edited by fahrphrompuken; 01-03-2017 at 10:07 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fahrphrompuken View Post
    What servo drives are you using? It sounds like one possibility is something wrong with the tach voltage output from the motor, or the wiring to the motor.
    If the encoder signal is being picked up, and you can see the position display counting, the encoder is probably not suspect.

I had recently restored a Tree Journeyman 320, that uses the same motors, and the ServoDynamics 15xx servo drives. I had the same issue that you were having, so I removed the drive belt to avoid any major problems. After tracing signals and other troubleshooting I discovered a bad crimp fitting on one of the servo motors tach wires at the drive board. As soon as I re-terminated the connection everything worked with no runaway condition.

Bill
    Ill have to look into that. So far, havent found much of anything. It will do it sporadically, but doing it more and more.