Need Help! Tree VMC 1050 magazine reference problem

Thread: Tree VMC 1050 magazine reference problem

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tree VMC 1050 magazine reference problem

A friend recently purchased a used VMC 1050 and we've made great progress toward getting it running, but today it developed an interesting problem that I can't seem to figure out. It started with the F2.2 circuit breaker kicking out. I'd assumed the problem was pneumatic because it seemed to hold on until the tool changer tried to move, but it turns out that this 10A supply also powers the internal flood lamps. It seems they're shorted internally or something. Unfortunately, by the time I found that, I'd had my hands on every piece of pneumatic hardware on the he machine and even removed the cowling from the head.

When I Tried to start the machine back up again, all the drives references they should, but I get a "magazine #1 not referenced" fault. The carousel rotates to position 1. I even pushed it out of position with power off to be sure it wasn't simply giving up at position 1 by coincidence. I've verified that the sensor inputs for "mag fully retracted" (1 magnet sensor on the pneumatic cylinder and one physical interlock mounted above it) are being read by the control (Dynapath 20 if I'm not mistaken). The machine seems to function normally aside from the fault. We can even call for a tool change and the spindle will orient etc. it doesn't fail until the point where it would send the carousel out to the spindle. The servo drive module in the cabinet reads "COIn" as it should as well.

We'd appreciate any advice the group could give on this. I suspect that this was caused by something I did during the trouble shooting, but without clear documentation explaining what the machine requires for the carousel to be referenced, I'm in the dark.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tree VMC 1050 magazine reference problem

I am having the same problem with my Tree VMC 1050. I get the "magazine #1 not referenced fault". The machine will run and do tool changes perfectly for very inconsistent amounts time, then suddenly it will get the alarm. It will get the alarm at any time, while in a cut, trying to do a tool change or even just sitting idle (with the power on).

We have replaced the carousel drive with a rebuilt and tested unit. We have gone through the cables, relays and everything else in the circuit and still have the same problem. Does anyone out there have an idea what is going on with this carousel problem?

Thanks tons,

Downloads
    Uploads

Or machine is still not really running. It seems that all our problems have been related to the carousel moving out during operation though. We've got a new valve coming. The most recent problem was a "Spindle not up to speed" error. It was very consistent and showed up even though the control was clearly showing the correct speed. I pulled the spindle control boards to look for obvious problems and didn't have any more problems. Perhaps a bad connection, but if that can happen in the Spindle control, it could happen anywhere. You might double check your magnetic sensors on the carousel extension cylinder. You can verify their signal with the boy register screen in the register, but it takes some time to isolate the correct bits by toggling the sensor. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by ksanalytical View Post
    A friend recently purchased a used VMC 1050 and we've made great progress toward getting it running, but today it developed an interesting problem that I can't seem to figure out. It started with the F2.2 circuit breaker kicking out. I'd assumed the problem was pneumatic because it seemed to hold on until the tool changer tried to move, but it turns out that this 10A supply also powers the internal flood lamps. It seems they're shorted internally or something. Unfortunately, by the time I found that, I'd had my hands on every piece of pneumatic hardware on the he machine and even removed the cowling from the head.

When I Tried to start the machine back up again, all the drives references they should, but I get a "magazine #1 not referenced" fault. The carousel rotates to position 1. I even pushed it out of position with power off to be sure it wasn't simply giving up at position 1 by coincidence. I've verified that the sensor inputs for "mag fully retracted" (1 magnet sensor on the pneumatic cylinder and one physical interlock mounted above it) are being read by the control (Dynapath 20 if I'm not mistaken). The machine seems to function normally aside from the fault. We can even call for a tool change and the spindle will orient etc. it doesn't fail until the point where it would send the carousel out to the spindle. The servo drive module in the cabinet reads "COIn" as it should as well.

We'd appreciate any advice the group could give on this. I suspect that this was caused by something I did during the trouble shooting, but without clear documentation explaining what the machine requires for the carousel to be referenced, I'm in the dark.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tree VMC 1050 magazine reference problem

Finally found the problem!

For anyone out there with a similar type problem with a Tree VMC.

I had Tom (a technician from ZPS in Burlington Wi.) come in. In case anyone needs parts or service for Tree machines, these are the guys to go to. Anyway, he found two cards in the rack that were very close to each other. One of them was slightly bowed due to a tight fit in the rack, bowing from heat or whatever. Apparently, the card was bowed just enough to touch soldered joints with the card next to it whenever a slight vibration went through the machine such as during a tool change, That was enough to create the problem. Fortunately, that was the only problem that occurred. While diagnosing the problem (tapping on the card), Two different solder joints must have touched between the two cards and the machine went nuts! X , Y and Z axis's all took off at once in full rapid. Luckily, they stopped right away.

So... if you have a Tree with difficult to diagnose problems, check all of the cards in the rack.