Build Thread Follow up to - Just Became A Tree Hugger - 2UVR-C Journeyman 200 Thread - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Follow up to - Just Became A Tree Hugger - 2UVR-C Journeyman 200 Thread

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Follow up to - Just Became A Tree Hugger - 2UVR-C Journeyman 200 Thread

I havn't been able to find a replacement part unfortunately. Instead, the awesome folks over at ZPS sent me a copy of the original 1951 blueprints for the saddle. I'm looking to find the right type of cast iron (grey I believe) and a place to source it locally to avoid shipping. It should be quite the project, but will fall in perfectly with my CNC classes I am currently taking. ZPS also hooked me up with the drawings of the gibs and some gib stock that was as close a possible to my oldish ones. I have to make some large measurements of my old gib holder (that got split in half), but all of the intricate details including the oiling passages and how to make them are on the large prints.

I think I might just (if I can convince my instructor at school to let me use one of the machines and cut cast iron in it) draw up the plans into Mastercam and see if I can knock this out using CNC. I would like to do it manually, but I would have to bust out some manual skills that I have only really got to read about and watch in videos on cutting tapers (for the gibs to ride in), let alone surface grinding to the specs. I do have all the machines at my disposal, and I have all the tooling personally to get'er done.

If I can get ahead of all my manual G-Code programming CNC projects, I'll try to attack the project at school.

-Kit

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Follow up to - Just Became A Tree Hugger - 2UVR-C Journeyman 200 Thread

Hi Kit

Can I make a suggestion?
    Conscript your instructors into this project! See if you can't make the project into a class-room study or lesson. Chuckle: in the most optimistic scenario, get the school to provide the cast iron! Treat it as a challenge for the class.

I once broke the tang of an old English table knife inside the bone handle - it had rusted. We tried sticking an extension on it in our workshop, but no joy. So one of the smarter apprentices took it to college to get the welding instructor to help. It turned out that this was some of the most difficult steel to weld the instructor had ever come across, but he DID know about the problems with this very-high-carbon steel. Fixing my knife turned into a major class-room and lab exercise for the whole welding class! Yes, the tang was fixed. Everyone won.

Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

Just an update. My cast iron material showed up, and I have finished dimension everything in mastercam. Looks like I also have gib scraping in my near future. Pictures and more updates soon to follow.

Downloads
    Uploads

Finally got to start on this thing again. Just finished facing the stock. This is gonna be very messy and take a lot of whittling.
    Follow up to - Just Became A Tree Hugger - 2UVR-C Journeyman 200 Thread-img_1255-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

You'll learn a LOT this way.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Been awhile since an update. Monday was a busy day with much accomplished.

Here's my broken gib holder. Ugh!

Downloads
    Uploads

Cad Drawing with dim's.? lol

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    Cad Drawing with dim's.? lol
    Well, yes....the original drawing I received only had information about the internal oil passageways. There weren't any dimensions or locations or callouts for any of the other features. I took my broken one and measured everything, then drew it up in Mastercam so I had some kind of reference to do my layout with.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123