325J Spindle drive Swap?

Thread: 325J Spindle drive Swap?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 325J Spindle drive Swap?

Has anyone put in a new spindle drive on a 325J? My VFD just crapped the bed and I need to do something ASAP. We are trying to find the issue to repair and already found 2 busted capacitors and replaced them. But that didn't solve the issue. I have an EE and a Comp Engineer helping so we might be able to fix it. If that fails then I will need to get a new VFD and figure out how to install i, and set it up. Has anyone done this? The spindle motor is a Yaskawa UAASKA-06CA1 and runs from 1500 to 8000rpm with 3.9-5.5KW of out put. I have no other Hz info or anything on this motor so setting it up might be a bit of a pain with a new VFD. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I can't swing $1500-1800 for the replacement drive from ZPS USA unfortunately.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 325J Spindle drive Swap?

Upate:

So after being down for almost a month (2 weeks of which was fundraising for a new drive, 1 week for it to be delivered and another few days off to go camping with the family) I finally got the new drive in and the spindle running on a few warm up tests. I opted to go with a Teco MA7200-2007-N1 with the appropriate braking resistor which was huge. The drives are very similar in layout and most of the parameters are pretty much the same. The MA7200 has a lot more parameters which took some wading through to get stuff to work right but I was able to figure everything out. The drives were rather different in dimensional layout so I had a friend with a CNC Plasma table make me an adapter plate to aid with mounting the drive and also to add more ventilation to keep things cool. Over all the install was relatively easy. Had some migraine inducing issues with the parameters but it was simple things that I just over looked. Not sure how well this drive will do compared to the old drive as this one is down rated a little bit, but with the HP calcs i did, even my most aggressive machining ops I do are below half of the stated limit. If anyone else has a drive die that is similar to the Saftronics/Yaskawa/Magnetec G3, let me know and I can get you the parameters that I set mine to. Overall, if it wasn't for a couple of newbie oversights, this would have been a fairly simple and strait forward swap.