spindle override switch problems j325

Thread: spindle override switch problems j325

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default spindle override switch problems j325

this has been going on for 3 weeks now, getting progressively stranger.
    started out spindle would just stop in middle of program, would have alarm saying spindle override is off. tap on the switch and it would start back up.
    replaced the pot, initially then wouldn't work at all??. put old switch back in and it worked, had parts and smarts send another switch
    well put it in, ran for 4 days started doing again, only no alarm.
    called a electrical engineer friend of mine to come over with his meter, couldn't find anything wrong as far as connections.
    as it is now after re seating all connections, the spindle comes on at half what ever the programmed speed is. and the spindle override has no effect other than on off.
    the mtb board seems to have maybe a grounding problem though, we had the front panel off and the spindle running. was just wiggling wires and the spindle would stop
    but would do same thing if you sort of put just finger pressure any where on that board??
    going to call zps tomorrow. just lookin for ideas. got to try to find correct set of schematics for my machine???
    thanks in advance

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: spindle override switch problems j325

What VFD and such are in your machine? I have a 325J from around 1992 with the Delta 20 with the Yakisawa VFD and motor. Was machining away today, ran a program about 20 times. Went ate some food, came back ran program 2 more times. Went for a third and nothing from the spindle. Tried a few more times, nothing. Jogged the spindle switch on the back of the machine, nothing. Opened up the power cabinet did the override on the cabinet switch, fired up the machine and the VFD won't turn on like it did in the past. Also, the drawbar switch is no longer working. So I am assuming something is amiss on the MTB board or something. Real crappy time for the machine to go down too. I have a bunch of parts I need to run on it and this isn't going to help much.

If you need schematics I have some on PDF if you want. I don't think they are complete by any means, but it might help you some.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hello sortafast,
    well just to update if anybody has similar problem. spent some time on phone with bob at zps, very helpful fellow, we decided i needed mtb interface, got a refurb board from them, installed it fired her up, crt wouldn't come on
    long story short, after more calls to zps and head scatching, call a friend of mine that is a electrical engineer, we took the replacement board back out and he found that the voltage reg. and another component had not been soldered to the traces on the board. fortunately my friend was able to fix. reinstalled and so far all is well now.
    contacted bob and sent him some pics of issues we found, they returned part of my money on the board. all in all zps was great to deal with.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is a blown fuse in the SDU. You should have made a new post. The drawbar won't release because its not seeing a zero speed indication from the spindle drive.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    This is a blown fuse in the SDU. You should have made a new post. The drawbar won't release because its not seeing a zero speed indication from the spindle drive.
    yeah, the VFD blew a couple electrolytic caps on the power board so we are replacing all of them. Hopefully will have that done tonight. We are also going to try to test all of the diodes in the rectifier circuits as it seems that I think one or 2 of them aren't doing their job. Going to try this as its a cheap fix. If that doesn't work, we are going to just swap VFD's. It sucks as I don't have the $$ for this right now but a new VFD should give me a lot more betterness and should last a lot longer than I am anticipating these fixes to last.