Used lathe help

Thread: Used lathe help

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Used lathe help

Quote Originally Posted by ScottDW View Post
    Any advice on what to look for in a used SL15 with turret?
    Index the turret repeatedly and measure the X/Y positions of the tip of the tool. There was some problem with the first generation turret; can't remember if it was a reliability or a repeatability issue.

Do some test cuts, and mic them to see how close to the programmed cut they end up; this will give you some idea of backlash.

When was the machine originally purchased?

Look for indications on the turret, QCTP (if fitted) and chuck for any crashes.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Used lathe help

I second the recommendation to check the turret out thoroughly, especially if it has the Rev 1 turret. Mine has that turret and I've had periodic problems with repeatability in "X" when multiple turret stations are used in one job. I'd guess that worst case might be a 0.001" or a bit more off in X. That's not a problem for most jobs unless you have a demanding customer. I'd also check the repeatability of the homing switches - mine varies +/- 0.020" in X and a few thou in Z. Variability of the homing switches is a minor annoyance rather than a show stopper since you can always re-zero the work.

On edit: I'd also try turning collars on a long work piece to see how much taper the lathe has in X. Googling for Rollie's Dad's Method should turn up something useful. Also the 4-part series on checking out a a CNC lathe starting at this link might be useful"