Tool offsets

Thread: Tool offsets

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tool offsets

In all the instruction from Tormach, or what I see on youtube, setting tool offsets use a similar technique: first you set reference point in each axis, using either the tool holder itself or a reference tool to set the master reference point. From here, you set each tool by touching that tool off to the work using a piece of paper, or feeler gauge or similar to determine when you are touching the work. In both the X and Z axis.

But, it seems to me that for the X position, it would be far more accurate to take a cut with every tool, measure work diameter and use that as the touch off value. X is absolute - it is not dependent on anything. The Z is not absolute - so it needs to be referenced against your master position and the paper or similar technique is the only way to go.

Anyone do it this way?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tool offsets

Yes. That’s how I do it. Tool offsets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Sares2k.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tool offsets

Quote Originally Posted by dannirr View Post
    Thanks Sares2k.
    No problem. You probably already know but I wanted to clarify. The way I do it is I set X (and Z) on my OD turning tool (usually tool #1) on the Work offset screen here:

And the rest of my tools (turret setup) on the tool offset/touch screen here:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

I am speaking of the tool offset table, not the work offset. The work offset needs to be set first with whatever you decide will be your reference tool. Use tat tool to set the work offset, which will be the same as the tool offset for that tool. THEN, you have to set up the tool offsets for the other tools. It's those I am asking about. Using the paper or similar method is less accurate in the X axis than simply cutting and measuring for each tool. Once those are stored, you don't do them again unless you replace that tool, or unless you replace the master tool.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dannirr View Post
    I am speaking of the tool offset table, not the work offset. The work offset needs to be set first with whatever you decide will be your reference tool. Use tat tool to set the work offset, which will be the same as the tool offset for that tool. THEN, you have to set up the tool offsets for the other tools. It's those I am asking about. Using the paper or similar method is less accurate in the X axis than simply cutting and measuring for each tool. Once those are stored, you don't do them again unless you replace that tool, or unless you replace the master tool.
    Understood. I apologize I was replying through my phone and didn't read thoroughly. Then I agree. I always take a cut and measure instead of the paper method for both work AND tool offsets for X.