Will a BXA toolpost work in the Slant Pro?

Thread: Will a BXA toolpost work in the Slant Pro?

Default Will a BXA toolpost work in the Slant Pro?

I was looking at the lathe add-ons on the TORMACH website, and noticed that the Tool Post is CXA size.
    Darn it!
    My Manual lathe uses BXA tool holders. JUST MY LUCK!!
    I have a bunch of BXA tools that I could easily load into the Slant Pro, instead of being forced to buy all new CXA holders.
    So, a question for the owners.
    Would a BXA holder work instead of the CXA size?
    Maybe by mounting it on a thick riser?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Will a BXA toolpost work in the Slant Pro?

Shouldn't be a problem with a thick riser, just bear in mind the smaller tool holder probably won't accept 3/4 shank tools like the CXA and might not be quite as rigid, probably won't be an issue.
    Will

Downloads
    Uploads

You can get XL BXA tool holders which will hold 3/4" tools.

Yes, the BXA boring bar holders go all the way up to 1" bores.
    If I pull the trigger and buy a Slant Pro, I'd sure hate to buy all new tool holders for CXA size, if I can just use BXA instead.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    Yeah, the CXA posts are pretty massive …

One thing you might consider is making your own custom QC mounting plate for whatever you use. I bought a piece of iron from one of the online metal stores and made my own just because it was cheaper than buying the one from Tormach.

As it turns out my table surface was not parallel with the spindle axis. If you mount an indicator in the spindle at a right angle to indicate the surface where the QC plate sits and move Z back & forth my mounting surface had a slope of 0.0075” across it’s width. This means your tool post would not be perpendicular to the spindle axis. This measurement IS NOT checked in the Certificate of Inspection.

So when I made my QC plate I adjusted it’s mounting surface to correct this and make the QC tool post perpendicular to spindle axis. I got it within 2 tenths across it’s width of 6.1”.

I used my PCNC1100 to thread mill the 5/8” threaded holes used to mount the QC tool post and the manual mill for everything else.

I did pretty much the same thing so I could use my existing BXA tool holder. I didn't thread the holes, I just bored a hole and then put a hex shaped pocket to keep a 6" fine thread bolt from turning.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you by chance have a drawing of what you did for your BXA plate? I am going to do the same thing to mine.
    Thanks in advance