Need Help! CAM code when using a tool post on the 'X' minus.

Thread: CAM code when using a tool post on the 'X' minus.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CAM code when using a tool post on the 'X' minus.

I use either Fusion 360 or Sprutcam to generate code for my Slant Pro when using my turret and gang tooling for external and internal turning. This weekend I had a need (because of clearance issues when using an external turning tool in the turret with the tailstock installed) to use my quick change tool post on the X minus side of the part. I tried in both Sprutcam and Fusion 360 and could not find a way to do this. They always want to generate the tool path on the X plus side of the part. I tried rotating the tool holder 180 degrees and that didn't work as it wouldn't generate a tool path at all - probably because the tool tip couldn't access the part. I am trying to turn an external profile so generating the code manually is not an option.

Anyone ever have a similar situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CAM code when using a tool post on the 'X' minus.

I have exact same situation currently. There is a post on these forums where someone created post for Fusion 360 and Slant Pro to export mixed Turret/Gang tooling code. I have not tried it since I am little concerned about how different it is from standard post... When I have time I will get into the code to check.

In Fusion 360 it can generate negative values for gang tooling but you have to specify the in Post-Process screen useGangTooling=YES. This will generate the negative X values and spin the spindle in reverse. Problem is that you cannot mix Turret and gang tooling in single post so you have to stitch things by hand and then if you forget and post code for Turret with gang tooling set to yes unpleasant things will happen...

I decided to simply get left hand tooling to use as gang tools so they approach from top and not need negative X values or reverse spindle spin... It makes programming easier and I don't have to stitch things manually.

Dennis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

coffeetek,

I'm not entirely sure we are talking about the same thing so allow me to explain in a little more detail.

I normally use my turret for external turning and facing operations and my gang tooling for internal turning, drilling and threading. If I have an external profile to turn and a hole I need to drill or thread I post the external profile for the turret in CAM and do the drilling and threading in the conversational and manually combine the two programs so I can do them both in one operation.

The CAM doesn't have a problem with boring or ID profiling because I use right hand tooling that cuts on the X positive (internal) side of the part axis.

The problem this weekend came in because I need the tool held by the toolpost and mounted on the X negative side of the part. Therefore it will cut on the X negative OD of the part. I don't have enough X travel to install the toolpost on the X positive side or the part. It needs to be installed on the X negative side of the part.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I understood. For Fusion to export negative X values you must set either useGangTooling=Yes or useQCTP=Yes...

Dennis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK. Thank you. I will try that. Normally when I am using my gang tooling I am cutting on the X positive side of the part axis or right on X zero.

Do you normally have your tool tip on the X negative side of the part axis when boring parts?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by saabaero View Post
    Do you normally have your tool tip on the X negative side of the part axis when boring parts?
    Yes, that's how my boring bar is mounted in turret and I program it in Fusion works great.

Dennis