Need Help! Offsets

Thread: Offsets

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Offsets

Hi....with my limited knowledge.......short answer....no......the work offset is the centre of the spindle as 0,0 on whatever you set it to....the corner of the vice jaw for X and Y etc.

Putting another different diam tool in the spindle means the spindle centre line still stays the same at 0, 0 but you would have the diam of the tool applied in the program as a different tool offset because it's a different diam to the first tool, so the tool path is set over the respective amount to allow for the half diam of the next cutter.

In the program you would call up tool #1 or #2 and the program would apply the necessary tool offset for each of those tools that you have previously set in the tool register for each tool.

If you just changed the tool holders over without designating the tool number in the program Masch3 will think you are still using tool #1 because it's a stupid program and can't think like you would.....unless you tell it otherwise
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Basser16 View Post
    If i remove Tool 1 tool holder do I have to reset my work offset?
    Are you asking about a lathe or a mill?

On a mill, your X/Y is the centerline of the holder (with adjustment for tool dia when it creates the Gcode). Z is different because it's based on the length of the tool. On a lathe X is based on "where" the tool is positioned in the holder. Z is also different for the same reason.

Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry. Deleted my nonsensical post

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    Are you asking about a lathe or a mill?

On a mill, your X/Y is the centerline of the holder (with adjustment for tool dia when it creates the Gcode). Z is different because it's based on the length of the tool. On a lathe X is based on "where" the tool is positioned in the holder. Z is also different for the same reason.
    This is on a lathe. I removed the tool holder for #1 tool tp put in another tool holder. Do I need to reset my work offset for X and Z?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Basser16 View Post
    This is on a lathe. I removed the tool holder for #1 tool tp put in another tool holder. Do I need to reset my work offset for X and Z?
    Tormach lathe? PathPilot or something else?