Tormach slant 15 or Precision Mathews 1330CNC

Thread: Tormach slant 15 or Precision Mathews 1330CNC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tormach slant 15 or Precision Mathews 1330CNC

Hello every one,

I have very little cnc experience, but purchased an ACER bedmill with Fagor control about 2 years ago. We use it for prototyping and other general things around the shop. Our shop it not a "for hire" shop, its only purpose is to support our other enterprises. The CNC machine has became more of a hobby than a necessity.

I would like to pick up an affordable CNC lathe. I'm sure some one is going to tell me to just go buy a big huge awesome used production lathe, problem is we're not comfortable buying a used machine that we know nothing about. So, unless you are going to help us buy it, promise that some thing in the control won't die and cost thousands of dollars in the first two day, and then provide technical support after the purchase, that's probably not an option. The lathe would probably get less than 200 hours a year use.

The Tormach Slant 15 looks like a good option in our range, but I noticed the Precision Mathews 1330 CNC lathe. For about the same money it comes with a Siemens 808 control and servos. Its an engine lathe lay out. I'm not exactly sure how big of a problem, if at all, that would be for us. The extra length of the P-M 1330 would also give us more options in the future.

I'm guessing the Tormach will have the best after sale support, and there is obviously a ton of helpful info on this forum for it.

What are your thoughts? Is the P-M steel that bad? I would assume the servos and Siemens control would be a little more robust than the stepper drive of the Tormach.

Here is a link to the PM machine: Page Title

Thanks every one!

-TAB

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tormach slant 15 or Precision Mathews 1330CNC

Matt is a great guy and provides lots of support to his customers.

One downside of a converted engine lathe: Not enough X-axis movement (only 7"). So you probably can't do gang tools on this lathe, and are stuck with the stock 4 tool automated tool post, or the optional 6 tool turret. In comparison, on the Tormach, the X axis has 10" of x-axis travel, so you can stack on 4-6 gang tools plus the optional 8 tool turret.

Chip removal on a slant bed lathe is much superior to the converted engine lathe.

Depending on your budget you might take a look at the Smithy FL300-II, there are some happy customers with that lathe. Also Siemens/Servo drive. This is a step up to a more commercial offering.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

I can chime in. I went from a converted Grizzly G0602 CNC lathe running PathPilot to the Smithy Fl300-II. I really looked hard at the SPL15 but for about the same money the FL300 is way superior. I will say that PathPilot is easier to use than the 808d controller but with the siemens it feels a little more bullet proof.

Having a 5hp servo spindle along with servo axes, the smithy machine is really precise. The rapids are 787 ipm, vs 60 rpm on the SPL15.
    The full industrial enclosure doesn't leak. When coolant drips down the draw tube it returns to the tank. The pneumatic drawbar comes standard.
    You don't have to calibrate the x axis every time to you boot the machine. The smithy has accurate encoders so you don't have to take a test cut every boot up.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking at the Smithy website, I noticed they made a point of saying at least some of their lathes are made in the same factory as Tormach's, guess that's a backhanded compliment?

Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah and that one (the 1417) has had quality control issues. The FL300 and most of the others are made by Z-mat. These have been rock solid.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post
    Yeah and that one (the 1417) has had quality control issues. The FL300 and most of the others are made by Z-mat.
    If you look back, you can find some threads about that machine by sin_arms. He had a horrible experience, and Smithy ended up taking that machine back and replacing it with the FL300-II. He seems much happier now.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    If you look back, you can find some threads about that machine by sin_arms. He had a horrible experience, and Smithy ended up taking that machine back and replacing it with the FL300-II. He seems much happier now.
    I really wish sin_arms would post up an updated. I am most likely going to pull the trigger on either the Slant Pro or the FL300-II this year.

Awall

Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry been swamped trying to get caught back up after so much down time, but in short the FL300-II is 10x the machine the talon was.