Any tips on parting 2.4" diameter stainless steel? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any tips on parting 2.4" diameter stainless steel?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Any tips on parting 2.4" diameter stainless steel?

Quote Originally Posted by coffeetek View Post
    So.... Ooh La La! Now Tormach says that 33134 - NH Parting Tool Kit is not for use in turret!!! They say to use 33347 ... Sigh!

I am sure people use Blade style cut-off tools in turret. So anyone have any recommendations on what do I use to mount blade style cut off tool in turret?
    If you can get a solid tool that has more than 1-1/4 depth of cut that would be you best, but if you have the right tool holder for your turret then the blade type like you have works fine

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    If you can get a solid tool that has more than 1-1/4 depth of cut that would be you best, but if you have the right tool holder for your turret then the blade type like you have works fine
    I really do not trust the Chinese tools for these operations, I have switched everything to Sandvik. Even blade I was using was Sandvik blade. I have found the 3/4" Sandvik mount for the blade that I have ordered and we will see whether it fits the turret right...

Also found Sandvik parting tool with solid shank and ordered to try as well. One of these will work for sure.

Last edited by coffeetek; 05-18-2017 at 04:14 PM.
    Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mactec

You obvious have not done much machining,with modern parting off tools,
    Well, actually, that's true.
    Most of my production work is on the mill.
    On the lathe I tend towards quite small parts and I don't need such massive (for me) parting tools.
    Anyhow, I had a trawl through the Iscar catalog you referenced - they ARE into that sort of tooling, aren't they!

Cheers
    Roger
    PS: custom GT2 pulleys going very nicely in machines.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So after 20 parting operations of my 2.3" diameter 303 stainless parts I think this problem is licked. Love Sandvik tooling. Ended up using Sandvik QD‑RFG1300‑12S tool holder with Corocut QD‑NG‑0300‑0004‑CM 1125 insert. Works great. Even surface finish on cut is very good. The tool was meticulously aligned and I have worked out the cutting parameters where everything seems to be working nicely.

Parting is still very stressful operation.

Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

So after 20 parting operations of my 2.3" diameter 303 stainless parts I think this problem is licked. Love Sandvik tooling. Ended up using Sandvik QD‑RFG1300‑12S tool holder with Corocut QD‑NG‑0300‑0004‑CM 1125 insert.
    How did you arrive at those part numbers? I've been trying to find something like that on Sandvik's web site but it takes a lot of time scouring through the stuff their Tool Finder returns. Is it best to just contact the local distributor and have them walk you through the options and prices?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    How did you arrive at those part numbers? I've been trying to find something like that on Sandvik's web site but it takes a lot of time scouring through the stuff their Tool Finder returns. Is it best to just contact the local distributor and have them walk you through the options and prices?
    Found it through Tool Finder. Got at least 150 recommendations and somehow managed to find right thing.

Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

Found it through Tool Finder. Got at least 150 recommendations and somehow managed to find right thing.
    I tried both on-line and off-line versions of Tool Guide it was hanging up on the 3rd or 4th parameter but seems to be working now, so I'll try again. In the meantime, your selection seems good to me if I can't find another. I wanted to keep the insert width to 3 mm or less, with a decent cutting depth (>= 1-in) and yours appears to do that.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    I tried both on-line and off-line versions of Tool Guide it was hanging up on the 3rd or 4th parameter but seems to be working now, so I'll try again. In the meantime, your selection seems good to me if I can't find another. I wanted to keep the insert width to 3 mm or less, with a decent cutting depth (>= 1-in) and yours appears to do that.
    This is tool you want. The insert is 3mm. Works great. I have another from Sandvik with 1.5mm insert but its for parting small diameters .5" and under.

Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

This is tool you want. The insert is 3mm. Works great. I have another from Sandvik with 1.5mm insert but its for parting small diameters .5" and under.
    I hear you, but with Sandvik list prices what they are one tends to look toward Ebay where one must sometimes make compromises.

I've read though, that local distributor prices can sometimes be quite a bit less than Sandvik list prices though I suppose that depends quite a bit on monthly or annual purchase volumes. Maybe I should just give the local Sandvik guy a call and see what his prices are.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12