PathPilot Tool File Limit Of 26 Tools

Thread: PathPilot Tool File Limit Of 26 Tools

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default PathPilot Tool File Limit Of 26 Tools

I'm setting up my new Slant-Pro and just hit a limit of 26 on the number of tools I can define in PathPilot. This seems fairly arbitrary and very limiting! I have 8 tools in the turret, a possible 6 in the gang block and A LOT of QCTP specialty tools. I had hoped to define all of my tools up front and switch them as needed, especially the QCTP.

Does anyone else feel that 26 tools is limiting?

Can you think of any practical reason for the limit? The Mill allows 256 tools! Why not just allow 256 for the lathe?

Thanks,
    Ken

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PathPilot Tool File Limit Of 26 Tools

It seems limiting to me in theory, but I don't use a QC tool holder so 26 tools is more than I can normally load at one time anyway. I'd feel the same way in your situation, though.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I realize it's not common to have that many tools, but why have a limit? Anyway, I've reported it to Tormach. I'll let you know what they say.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Zeamon View Post
    I realize it's not common to have that many tools, but why have a limit? Anyway, I've reported it to Tormach. I'll let you know what they say.
    If it helps, I've no objection to the PP lathe tool table having far more than 26 tools

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I spoke to Tormach and apparently I'm not the only one who has questioned this, so they WILL be expanding the tool table. The artificial limit comes from the underlying LinuxCNC software and existed on the mill code as well, but Tormach fixed it before releasing PathPilot for the mill.They had always intended to fix it for the lathe, but never got around to it.

There is a new version of PP coming out soon that won't have the fix, but hopefully it will be in the next release.

I realize my QCTP example was unusual but imagine if you could predefine all your common drills, reamers, taps, boring bars, etc. for the gang block and then just mount the appropriate ones for a job. For example, I have a 6 position gang block and let's call the standard tools 11 - 16. I could also define tools 21 - 26, 31 - 36, etc. and then swap tools as I change jobs without having to mess with the tool table.