Feeds and Speeds, which app do you use?

Thread: Feeds and Speeds, which app do you use?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Feeds and Speeds, which app do you use?

What do you guys use as references for feeds and speeds for slant lathe? I have been trying both GWizard and HSMAdvisor and from some little tests I did they both are way too aggressive. HSMAdvisor works great for me on 440, but everything I have tried for lathe is so aggressive that I have to take the water down numbers so much that tool becomes worthless...

Similar Threads:
    Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Feeds and Speeds, which app do you use?

I've been using mostly HSM Advisor on my SBL-15, so far for aluminum, Brass, Delrin, and 303/304SS. Which materials, operations, and DOC have been giving you trouble?

Parting with Tormach's turret parting tools and GTN-3 inserts has given me the most trouble, but that was with parts that were really too small an ID for the 4-mm wide parting insert.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been experimenting with Acetal/Delrin while I wait for enclosure to arrive. For example on turning diameter of .52" I am getting DOC 0.2" @ 35000 RPM's Feed 60 in/min Speed 2329 f/min with Feed/rev 0.01714

This is for 100/100 on Speeds and Feeds adjustments. I have to take this down to like 20/20 to get something that I feel is OK. Perhaps I have my Slant Pro profile set wrong?

Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by coffeetek View Post
    What do you guys use as references for feeds and speeds for slant lathe? I have been trying both GWizard and HSMAdvisor and from some little tests I did they both are way too aggressive. HSMAdvisor works great for me on 440, but everything I have tried for lathe is so aggressive that I have to take the water down numbers so much that tool becomes worthless...
    You need to specify turning body size properly. This would give you lower cutting depth. Also important thing to remember is that HSMAdvisor is set up for performance. and when a nice finish is required you need to take it down to 30% Feed sometimes. For finishing often rule of thumb like 0.002 ipr work best.

Other than that it is supposed to give you middle of the road production style values and you have to account for that by setting proper machine profile and using overrides when needed.

http://hsmadvisor.com/
    Advanced Feed and Speed Calculator

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by zero_divide View Post
    You need to specify turning body size properly. This would give you lower cutting depth. Also important thing to remember is that HSMAdvisor is set up for performance. and when a nice finish is required you need to take it down to 30% Feed sometimes. For finishing often rule of thumb like 0.002 ipr work best.

Other than that it is supposed to give you middle of the road production style values and you have to account for that by setting proper machine profile and using overrides when needed.
    Thank you for chiming in. I did set diameter properly and it is too aggressive. Check out the previous example I put up. The GWizard is for example less aggressive since it recommends for medium finish smaller DOC and even for fine finish it recommends smaller DOC than HSMAdvisor.

Dennis