How do you dial in tolerances?

Thread: How do you dial in tolerances?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How do you dial in tolerances?

So I am wondering how do you guys approach dialing in tolerances on Tormach Slant Lathe. My approach so far would be to go back to CAM and then play with the Stock to Leave. But when I was talking to my pro machinists in the shop they said that is step too far up and they do it with cutter compensation on the machine... I did not see that in Tormach offsets, there is offset for tool wear so that could possibly be used, but then it affects everything cut with that tool.

How do you approach dialing-in tighter tolerances?

Similar Threads:
    Dennis

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How do you dial in tolerances?

Look at this video, about 35minutes in it, he will explain what you want.

Hope this help,

Jeff

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great find thank you. That's how I thought wear offsets would be used. Great.

So workable approach would be if you had critical diameter you only use one tool for that and then use wear offsets to dial it in. That way it would affect anything else turned on the part.

Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

Coffeetek - just to make sure you know you have to calibrate the X axis every time to turn the machine on. Many folks have noticed difference of up to 0.020" after zeroing. So most folks just run a skim cut on some material, then measure it w/ a mic, and enter that number into the X axis DRO - whereas my automate lathe is perfect after homing every time

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post
    Coffeetek - just to make sure you know you have to calibrate the X axis every time to turn the machine on. Many folks have noticed difference of up to 0.020" after zeroing. So most folks just run a skim cut on some material, then measure it w/ a mic, and enter that number into the X axis DRO - whereas my automate lathe is perfect after homing every time

Yes, and always use tool #1 to adjust the X value and apply offset to all others tools.

Jeff

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for reminder guys, I know. I have noticed the difference because of limit switches as well so on power on its skim cut with master tool, measure and adjust in DRO.

Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

I've found that my X limit switch is only repeatable to several thou or worse, so the first things I do have after powering up the lathe are manually cycle the auto luber, run a warm up cycle, and then manually turn an OD, with small DOC) on some 1-in stock with T1, power down, retract along Z without moving X, and then set X for T1 to the measured OD on the turned stock.