Newbie How to set X Offset for Drill in Turret

Thread: How to set X Offset for Drill in Turret

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to set X Offset for Drill in Turret

Hope you can be patient and help a newbie out! I am setting up a Slant Pro and have struggled learning new skills. Think I have the offset thing down, but don't get drills.

I have a drill in a ER16 collet in the turret. Easy to set Z offset, but what do I do for X? How do I make sure the drill and spindle are axially aligned?

I'm guessing things that are obvious to you are not obvious to me.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I put a piece of turned round stock into my er16 collet. Align by eye then Put a dial indicator on my chuck/5C collet, rotate the chuck/5C with needle on stock diameter and adjust X until I can get it under .002"

I've also turned two .750 dia pcs with a taper to a point. Put one in the chuck and tool holder to help when eyeballing the tips before indicating. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to set X Offset for Drill in Turret

You can also put a scale squeezed lightly in between the tapered points and adjust X until the scale is perpendicular to the Z axis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the tips. Let me see if I understand...

For your first suggestion the turned stock is in a collet in the turret. The dial indicator is IN the chuck, or ON THE OUTSIDE of the chuck with the mag base?

For the second suggestion, you put a scale between the two tapered tips? What kind of scale do you mean? Do you only need some thin metal sheet?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just use a cheap coaxial indicator there like 50-70 bux for a cheap on on amazon with free shipping. A cheap one will work perfectly fine. This will help you also if you need to shim any gang tooling blocks also.

If you try use a dial indicator it will be off a few thousandths because of gravity pulling on the indicator arm in different positions.

somethign like
    https://www.amazon.com/HFS-Coaxial-C...xial+indicator

Jesse

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by shassel View Post
    Thanks for the tips. Let me see if I understand...

For your first suggestion the turned stock is in a collet in the turret. The dial indicator is IN the chuck, or ON THE OUTSIDE of the chuck with the mag base?

For the second suggestion, you put a scale between the two tapered tips? What kind of scale do you mean? Do you only need some thin metal sheet?

S2jesse. Thanks for that insight I never considered the weight of the arm being a factor. How to set X Offset for Drill in Turret maybe it's time to invest in a coaxial!

Shassel, I've used my mag based Noga attached to the FACE of the spindle/chuck with satisfactory results. It's a test dial indicator that I use.

Heres a Tormach video when they put one IN the 5C to align a tailstock.

To answer the other question. I assume any sheet metal could work if you know that it's straight. Although a scale is a good tool to have if you don't have one yet. How to set X Offset for Drill in Turret I learned this method as more of a "quick and dirty" to get me going when I don't have anything else.

Another way that has worked for me is when I'm using an indexable drill like my .650 dia ultra Dex patriot drill.

Since I can drill with an -X offset to make a bigger hole (which the part needed), I drill a hole slightly below center and deep enough to fit a snap gauge. Then I input the difference for that tool.

For example if my hole measures .660", I know I'm -.010 on X.

I'm sure there are better ways and I'm always ready to learn or be corrected. Just sharing what I've learned so far.

Last edited by Sareks2k; 03-05-2017 at 07:17 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks. Like the price of that. I had heard people say not to spin dial indicators on the chuck because of how it sags differently.

This is less prone to that? This goes inside the chuck while a turned cylinder is in the tool holder?

Downloads
    Uploads

You could also use an inexpensive edge finder mounted in the appropriate 5C collet to find the + and - X extents of the 3/4-in hole in your drill's turret station. X0 for that station will be midway between the two measurements. I have a Haimer for my Tormach mill and use that in a similar manner to find the X0 offsets for hole-making tools in the turret or gang stations. I also have a Blake co-ax indicator but the Haimer is easier to use and seems to be just as accurate.

Question: wouldn't co-ax indicator sag as much or maybe even more than a DTI when used to indicate too offsets in the lathe? The co-ax indicator extends out a lot further than any DTI I own.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the tips. The video is helpful. I have a dial indicator that will work for now, but I'll look into getting a coaxial.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, this newbie was able to zero the x-axis and drill a hole. I'm very proud of myself. I used a dial indicator on the outside of the chuck. It seemed time consuming and error prone, so I'll investigate the other options, but It works for now.

Thanks,

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by shassel View Post
    Thanks. Like the price of that. I had heard people say not to spin dial indicators on the chuck because of how it sags differently.

This is less prone to that? This goes inside the chuck while a turned cylinder is in the tool holder?
    Yep they don't sag because they stay in the same orientation.. you can use them to just sweep the internal bore where the tool goes or you can center it on the outside of something round in the toolholder also.

I have to reset up my stuff so I can do a vid in a couple days