Tormach Slant Pro Ordered

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tormach Slant Pro Ordered

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tormach Slant Pro Ordered

So after I debated and debated and debated whether to spend this much instead of getting something else and then realizing that there is nothing else in the size and capability comparable to Tormach Slant Pro I have finally put in my order. All in. Pretty much all the options. Luckily I have work to do with the machine so its going to pay for itself fairly quickly. Now I need to clear up space in garage for it, which is the part I hate the most. And put in 220v so I don't have to run long cable...

Thank you everyone for great pointers on this machine, lets hope it works out of the box without major issues, turret and that drawbar...

Similar Threads:
    Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tormach Slant Pro Ordered

I've been using mine on paying parts now and again and it is giving me reliable performance and accurate parts. Did you get the tool turret? My only regret is that I wish I'd gotten the newer turret model that they started selling 6 or more moths back as it looks like that has better coolant delivery.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    I've been using mine on paying parts now and again and it is giving me reliable performance and accurate parts. Did you get the tool turret? My only regret is that I wish I'd gotten the newer turret model that they started selling 6 or more moths back as it looks like that has better coolant delivery.
    Yes turret too. I was thinking that turret really makes or breaks machine like this, at least in my mind. I hate changing tools on my 440 so I did not want to do that for production work on lathe. I have immediately need to run 200 parts on it which will save me $4k vs paying machine shop to do it... Couple of times like that and machine pays itself off...

I also got those ratchet feet you recommended.

Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

congrats. Also, congrats on the business that you have going there; sounds like you are expanding and doing well.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    congrats. Also, congrats on the business that you have going there; sounds like you are expanding and doing well.
    Thank you. Still long way to making living off of it, but its ton of fun.

Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by coffeetek View Post
    Yes turret too. I was thinking that turret really makes or breaks machine like this, at least in my mind. I hate changing tools on my 440 so I did not want to do that for production work on lathe. I have immediately need to run 200 parts on it which will save me $4k vs paying machine shop to do it... Couple of times like that and machine pays itself off...

I also got those ratchet feet you recommended.
    The turret helps if you need more than about 4 tools and work on parts that are larger than about 1-1/2-in diameter or if you want to have several tools loaded for different stock materials.

Wish I'd taken my own advice on the ratchet feet for my lathe - I saved a few bucks buying the star-shaped adjusters and those don't work nearly as well. I managed to pay off my mill in a few years but the lathe is proving harder. As a recent retiree, though, I am not trying too hard.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The turret helps if you need more than about 4 tools and work on parts that are larger than about 1-1/2-in diameter or if you want to have several tools loaded for different stock materials.

Wish I'd taken my own advice on the ratchet feet for my lathe - I saved a few bucks buying the star-shaped adjusters and those don't work nearly as well. I managed to pay off my mill in a few years but the lathe is proving harder. As a recent retiree, though, I am not trying too hard.
    I think turret will be of huge help even for only 3 tool changes, heck even 2. This part I have to make 200 pieces of, imagine changing tools for them 3 times, total of 600 tool changes. I would go nuts

Fantastic tip on those ratchet feet. Thank you.

Dennis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Got the lathe and the turret... But enclosure they say is on backorder and I could not get out of anyone when its supposed to come in stock... Argh! Can't use machine without it.

Dennis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So it seems new turrets don't need oil change since its not in the instructions that came with the turret...

Last edited by coffeetek; 03-17-2017 at 08:05 PM.
    Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

Got the lathe and the turret... But enclosure they say is on backorder and I could not get out of anyone when its supposed to come in stock... Argh! Can't use machine without it.
    I was going to say "Happy new machine day to you", but that kind of sucks a bit.

They give you any idea how long of a backorder? At least it gets you time to level the lathe and mount the turret prior to use. I would recommend changing the oil in the turret (general philosophy when getting new Chinese machines).

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    I was going to say "Happy new machine day to you", but that kind of sucks a bit.

They give you any idea how long of a backorder? At least it gets you time to level the lathe and mount the turret prior to use. I would recommend changing the oil in the turret (general philosophy when getting new Chinese machines).
    Thanks! Problem is with Tormach lately is that once they take your money you can't get hold of anybody... My mails went unanswered and if I call them it gets routed to voicemail...

Latest version of Turret install instructions does not say to change the oil. Older versions did, but this one does not so I'll leave it alone.

Dennis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have to thank again to @MichaelHenry for recommending those ratchet feet. They are KILLER! I installed them and its so easy to move lathe around the garage. I wish I installed them on my 440. Lathe should be shipping with these.

Dennis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Got turret installed today and aligned. It actually did not need any shims just little alignment to tap it so its square with z-axis. First tool I installed is perfectly centered as well. I'm ready to cut but no enclosure :-(

The collect closer is vibrating. The index ring is perfectly aligned with spindle so something else is out of alignment and I will need to figure that out.

Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

Mine vibrates a little but I've just lived with it so far. There was a thread on the subject a month or two, maybe OP'd by S2Jesse? I think he figured out a solution.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So my Tormach lathe is running and I am really happy with results I am getting so far. Machine is making parts Here are pictures of 303 stainless steel "screws" I am making, this is finish I managed to dial in off the tool, this took some thinking:

Tormach Slant Pro Ordered-_dsf2656-jpg

And then little brass version as well (polished but it did not need much off the tool finish was fantastic):

Tormach Slant Pro Ordered-_dsf2653-jpg

To give you sense of scale these are 9mm in diameter. So far very happy.

Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tormach Slant Pro Ordered

I have to thank again to @MichaelHenry for recommending those ratchet feet. They are KILLER! I installed them and its so easy to move lathe around the garage. I wish I installed them on my 440. Lathe should be shipping with these.
    Truth! (Mike helped me tons with my lathe too, he's awesome.)

Your parts are looking great! Congrats on getting her up and running; making $$. Tormach Slant Pro Ordered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is first aluminium part from my Slant Pro, 6061, stringy as hell. I so much more like working in with Stainless Steel. Diameter is 3.25", finish is off the tool finish untouched by hand:
    Tormach Slant Pro Ordered-_dsf2711-jpg
    Tormach Slant Pro Ordered-_dsf2712-jpg

Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is first aluminium part from my Slant Pro, 6061, stringy as hell. I so much more like working in with Stainless Steel. Diameter is 3.25", finish is off the tool finish untouched by hand:
    That looks great! 360 Brass is pretty nice to machine too - the chips are easy to manage and the finish is usually great.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That looks great! 360 Brass is pretty nice to machine too - the chips are easy to manage and the finish is usually great.
    Thank you! If I had done it in brass I could not resist taking it to polishing wheel for mirror finish :-)

Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

These are probably what you are asking about:

https://www.amazon.com/FOOTMASTER-GD...K88YBQK3CS7FYZ

The ones pictured here are what I put on my mill. Those are rated for 1100 lbs per foot, have 1/2-in tapped hole in the center (which can be used with studs and the mill mounting feet holes), and have the ratched which is a telescoping lever that pulls out for easier raising. They make another type that has a sort star-shaped handle for raising lowering but I find it harder to use that on heavy loads than I do the ratchet-type. Conventional wisdom says to size the foot capacity so that two of them can carry the load, but you probably already know that.

In use, you can use the ratchet handle to raise the foot pads so that the casters contact the floor to move the load. Once it's where you want, lower the pads until they push the casters off the floor so that the machine is supported entirely by the feet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast