Newbie Miilfast E stop kit fit for lathe?

Thread: Miilfast E stop kit fit for lathe?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Miilfast E stop kit fit for lathe?

Ive heard about the millfast e stop kits for the mill and have read great reviews.

It doesn't show on their website that it has been tested on the Tormach lathe.

Has anyone got this to work with the lathe?

If so, do the mill install instructions apply to the lathe?

I would love to not have to go over to the screen with coolant or dirt on my hands just to click on the mouse to start, stop, etc.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Miilfast E stop kit fit for lathe?

Well since pathpilot runs for the lathe as well, there shouldn't be any reason it doesn't work on both.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's true. I'll ask Tormach to see if they use the same board unless some knows?

Then maybe the installation instructions are applicable too. I'll post what I find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just got one about 2 weeks ago after waiting for a year for Tosa Tool to provide a fix for his which never worked at all either on my Pathpilot mill or lathe.

I hooked the Millfast up to my SlantPro lathe using just the USB because I wanted to use it on mill also for now (I already have remote 'E Stops' on both machines). Everything worked correctly except for the 'STOP' button which is the equivalent to the 'ESC' key. Nothing happens when I press it.

Not sure what is going on there but if I press the 'ESC' key on my keyboard the machine stops. I wanted to try it on my mill before contacting Millfast but haven't had the time yet.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just got one about 2 weeks ago after waiting for a year for Tosa Tool to provide a fix for his which never worked at all either on my Pathpilot mill or lathe.

I hooked it up to my SlantPro lathe using just the USB because I wanted to use it on mill also for now (I already have remote 'E Stops' on both machines). Everything worked correctly except for the 'STOP' button which is the equivalent to the 'ESC' key. Nothing happens when I press it.

Not sure what is going on there but if I press the 'ESC' key on my keyboard the machine stops. I wanted to try it on my mill before contacting Millfast but haven't had the time yet.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Miilfast E stop kit fit for lathe?

Thank you for that insight! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear.

What function does that "pause" button activate? Feed hold? velocity slider at zero?

And so this is just taking it out of the box and plugging into the USB port?

That would be enough for me to put in the order today.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The "PAUSE' button is equivalent to pressing the space key. It is like a feed hold but certain commands need to complete first before motion stops (e.g. spindle synchronized moves) The spindle continues to run and pressing "CYCLE START" continues executing the program.

The "STOP' button (which for whatever reason isn't working for me right now) is like a 'pause' but resets the program to the start and stops the spindle.

Correct, I didn't connect the wires for the E Stop. I just plugged the USB connector in and didn't have to even reboot. (although I tried rebooting in an attempt to get the "STOP" button to work - no luck though)

At least the other 3 buttons worked with the Millfast - which is more than I can say for the Tosa Tool control. I even tried hooking the Tosa control up to a PC and reprogramming the buttons to the appropriate keys and it still didn't work with any of the buttons.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sweet! I was mainly interested in the extra buttons - the E Stop is bonus.

Will the Millfast "STOP" button work on the mill or is it an issue only on the Slant Pro?

Thanks again for the info. I'm ordering one today!

Sorry to hear about the Tosa Tool control not functioning properly.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just ordered my controller. I spoke to Dave at Millfast on the phone. He said that the controller is essentially a "second" keyboard. If the buttons for your keyboards are working, the corresponding buttons should also work. (assuming the keys are the same for mill and lathe.)

I'm also in CA so I should be getting mine by Thursday. I'll keep you posted on how it works with just the USB.

He also mentioned that for the mill, the last Path pilot that included rapid turn updates didn't include the "esc" button for the "stop" function and should be updated soon. But this doesn't seem to apply to you. smh

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Sareks2k View Post
    He also mentioned that for the mill, the last Path pilot that included rapid turn updates didn't include the "esc" button for the "stop" function and should be updated soon. But this doesn't seem to apply to you. smh
    I suspect the same issue applies to the SlantPro because all of the other buttons worked. Maybe I was mistaken about trying the ESC key on the keyboard.

Do let me know if the STOP button on your control works.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by saabaero View Post
    I suspect the same issue applies to the SlantPro because all of the other buttons worked. Maybe I was mistaken about trying the ESC key on the keyboard.

Do let me know if the STOP button on your control works.
    Got it today! I also talked to Dave again on the phone. Great guy to deal with.

He just finished an updated version of the box using arduinos. Supposedly reprogrammable in the future. I don't know much about these things but I apparently got the first production piece.

Dave mentioned that the red stop button now replicates holding "alt"+"s" instead of just "esc" since the arduino setup is able to do multi actions whereas the previous model can only replicate one button at a time. Alt S is supposed to be consistent with all the Tormach machines for "stop".

I know that this doesn't apply to you anymore... but I did plug in the just USB and all the buttons worked right out of the box.

When I hit the red stop button on the millfast box I can see the "stop" button on the screen toggle.

My esc button on the keyboard doesn't do anything.

Maybe he will offer a trade or some kind of incentive for existing customers.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for getting back with your findings. That explains why mine doesn't work. I will have to try to get ahold of him and see if I can return mine as I just got it about 2 weeks ago.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by saabaero View Post
    Thanks for getting back with your findings. That explains why mine doesn't work. I will have to try to get ahold of him and see if I can return mine as I just got it about 2 weeks ago.
    No problem. And also thank you - I would not have ordered it without the info from your post.

Good luck with the exchange. I'm sure the new replacement will be exactly what you needed. Miilfast E stop kit fit for lathe?