Anybody in Canada bought the Tormach lathe?

Thread: Anybody in Canada bought the Tormach lathe?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Anybody in Canada bought the Tormach lathe?

I got a quote from a distributor in Canada, asking this info since I would like to be sure.

Thanks, Jeff

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody in Canada bought the Tormach lathe?-logo1_ca-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anybody in Canada bought the Tormach lathe?

John Grimsmo (of YouTube fame) has Tormach machines and lives in Canada, somewhere near Toronto, I think, so he might have bought from that distributor. You could probably contact him on his web site (search on Grimsmo Knives) or maybe on his Youtube or Instagram accounts.

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wink Re: Anybody in Canada bought the Tormach lathe?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey001 View Post
    I got a quote from a distributor in Canada, asking this info since I would like to be sure.

Thanks, Jeff
    I have bought the Tormach slant pro lathe and PCNC 1100 I live out on the West Coast in Vancouver bc Canada eh!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bigbrent View Post
    I have bought the Tormach slant pro lathe and PCNC 1100 I live out on the West Coast in Vancouver bc Canada eh!!
    Did you bought from Tormach USA?

Jeff

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey001 View Post
    Did you bought from Tormach USA?

Jeff
    Yes I bought the lathe from Tormach USA and they ship to Canada you just need a customs broker as the government wants their gst (5% on exchange gov rate i.e. Lathe 15000 us* 1.30 exchange rate * 0.05 gst = 20475 ) this does not include shipping plus this that and other minor costs share but if your a business you can use it as input credits and the tax is a wash

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jeff, do you end up buying a lathe? Dod you buy it through Studica? Or directly through Tormach?

Adam

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by adamboon View Post
    Jeff, do you end up buying a lathe? Dod you buy it through Studica? Or directly through Tormach?

Adam
    Went with Tormach USA. Waited 1 month for a reply from Studica.

Jeff

Downloads
    Uploads

Old thread, but I'll add I bought mine (SlantPro lathe and a 440 mill) direct from Tormach USA last year, shipped to Vancouver, Canada. Was extremely easy, no customs issues, all paperwork was done well, good freight vendor.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Warren_3Deee View Post
    Old thread, but I'll add I bought mine (SlantPro lathe and a 440 mill) direct from Tormach USA last year, shipped to Vancouver, Canada. Was extremely easy, no customs issues, all paperwork was done well, good freight vendor.
    Thanks Warren_3Deee. I have the 1100 and I'm looking into getting the lathe. How do you like the lathe? Did you get it with the turret?

Downloads
    Uploads

I went with gang tooling and the quick change toolpost instead of the turret. For the type of machining I do the added expense of the turret didn't seem to make financial sense for me.
    I really like the lathe, although it was a steeper learning curve for me than the mill was; mostly figuring out the feedrates and rpms.. but now I've gotten over the learning hump I really enjoy watching it make parts.

In hindsight, I probably could have gone with a non-CNC lathe; probably 80% of the work I do is one-off and I run the lathe manually instead of with a program -- but I was buying a 440 anyway and just knowing there was going to be service and parts available is what was the deciding factor. Also, the inventory of used lathes around the Vancouver area seems quite limited for the price range.

Warren.