First lathe - ?Tormach

Thread: First lathe - ?Tormach

Downloads
    Uploads

Default First lathe - ?Tormach

Own a Fadal 4020HT that I am getting to know. Was initially interested in the PCNC 1100, but could not pass up on the deal for the Fadal. Been a lot of fun working with it. Now, in the market for a Lathe. I find myself in a similar question - go with a used production machine for the same price or less, or go with the Tormach Slant. I, of course, already have a phase converter. The lathe world does not seem to have a fadal equivalent. Spindle for the fadal was $2,700 and pretty straight forward to install since all the manuals were online and available. For less than I would have in the PCNC 1100, I have a 15 HP rigid tapping machine with thru spindle coolant and much bigger work envelope. Is the same true in the lathe world? As I am posting this in a Tormach forum, what made you go with the tormach as opposed to a GT27 or something similar? What about a production machine with some hours? Space is not a concern, but learning would be (advantage to the Tormach). I know nothing about lathes, but am in the process of learning and have picked up milling pretty easily. Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: First lathe - ?Tormach

Maybe I should ask the question in a different way... What can I do with an Industrial machine that I cannot do with the Tormach Slant Lathe? I am not concerned about the speed of cutting and most of the Industrial machines I am looking at have about the same size work envelope, unlike the Fadal Mill vs the PCNC 1100. I assume the Tormach Lathe will cut steel and other hard metals? i assume it will allow for a variety of chucks? I assume the conversational is a huge benefit and eliminates the need for much CAM work?

Downloads
    Uploads

The Tormach lathe has a D1-4 spindle and also takes 5C collets. I've been using mine to cut 303SS and 304SS with no problems and am about to machine some 316SS. These are all 5/16-in OD parts about 1-1/4-in long and I've made about 300 of them so far.

I bought this lathe because of my satisfaction with an 8-year old PCNC 1100 mill and because the lathe was the largest CNC type that I could get into the basement of our townhome.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think it comes down to whats available. Same with mills. If theres a good deal on a vmc then why buy a tormach? But if all thats with in reach is junk, why not buy a tormach. Industrial machines are more ridged and get things done a little faster to way way faster. But they all get them done. I have seen some smoking deals on lathes. Mills tend to hold more value it seems here

Downloads
    Uploads

It depends on what you making. A GT27 is a great machine, but it is limited by what you can fit over the saddle. On my SlantPRO, I've been able to make longer 5" diameter parts, which you can't even consider on the GT. Plus you have a rich conversational menu on Path Pilot, which virtually takes no training. I've been asked to make some one-offs, and conversational allows you to use it like a manual lathe. But if you're making smaller through spindle parts that you can collet, the GT27 is just faster. So my $.02.

Downloads
    Uploads

I went the other way. I got the 1100 as my first CNC machine. After dealing with steppers, I got a real turning center when it came to getting a lathe. The Tormach 1100 has been decent for what it is, and what they advertise it as being but it is never going to be remotely equivalent to a servo driven "real" machine. My personal feeling, and take it for what it's worth having never even seen a Tormach lathe in person, if you are used to running a real VMC, going to a small stepper driven lathe is going to be very disappointing. I'd take a GT27 over a Tormach any day.