Looking for used Tormach Slant Pro

Thread: Looking for used Tormach Slant Pro

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking for used Tormach Slant Pro

Looking for lightly used Tormach Slant Pro. I'm in the Pittsburgh, PA area and able to drive around 500 miles approx. Thanks.

SPCNC

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for used Tormach Slant Pro

Good luck. I've been looking for one for months. If you find one on the west coast please let me know.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by grimms3 View Post
    Looking for lightly used Tormach Slant Pro. I'm in the Pittsburgh, PA area and able to drive around 500 miles approx. Thanks.

SPCNC
    Good luck, people seem to be holding onto these things.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by adamvs View Post
    Good luck, people seem to be holding onto these things.
    Yep! I was lucky enough to find one used and Im not letting go of it any time soon

Downloads
    Uploads

There is one near Indianapolis. The seller does not seem very willing to work with a remote buyer, but if you are willing to pick it up this may work for you.
    https://terrehaute.craigslist.org/tls/5708603778.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks. I was too late seeing the post. New 15L in the corner of the garage now and finalizing tooling setups. Seems to be quite fast. No wonder there's none used for sale.

It's happy sitting next to the 770!

I'll keep a watch and let you know if I hear of anything.

Downloads
    Uploads

congrats on the new purchase. Looking forward to reading your impressions and seeing your work.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'll try to post some of the "beginners blunders" to keep things interesting.

Blunder 1:
    Stopped a parting operation since the cut was way too aggressive. Space bar and Stop. So far so good. G30 was set from the PP screen.

Then pressed the goto g30 on the screen. Woops good thing the insert pops out. Replaced and it's ok. Need to look into setting an intermediate step to get to tool change position. ie: move back in X then goto Z. Checking on this tonight to see if the PP screen G30 set can contain an intermediate position like the G28 gcode.

thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you use flood coolant watch out for leaks out the back end of the spindle. I somehow manage to get coolant past the 5C collet and closer on solid stock and tubular stock was nearly a disaster.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So far no coolant issues thanks.

Blunder 2: QC tool post moved: Use a big wrench on the quick change post. Got a bit aggressive with drill and it moved the post. Cleaned the bottom, removed the oil, tightened with large wrench. Re-aligned and it seems to be ok. Considering milling a plate with some set screws to put on the bottom of the QC post. Maybe this will help to keep it in coaxial adjustment if it's bumped a bit hard.

I had some bizarre repeatability and found that the post had moved slightly before I used by coaxial indicator. The coaxial shows about 1/2 thou. and I thought I was ok. Then drilling was absolutely wild. Visually it was wayyyyyy off. That's what started my looking into the source. Make sure the post is tight tight. Check often. I'm also going to use a gang plate for drill ops. It should easily handle the forces based on its design.

Going to try to move this thread to the correct thread in my future posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by grimms3 View Post
    I had some bizarre repeatability and found that the post had moved slightly before I used by coaxial indicator. The coaxial shows about 1/2 thou. and I thought I was ok. Then drilling was absolutely wild. Visually it was wayyyyyy off. That's what started my looking into the source. Make sure the post is tight tight. Check often.
    Maybe modify your QCTP so it has dowels to keep it from rotating? The Dorian QCTP come pre-drilled for them, I believe. Since the QCTP mounts on a riser plate, it should be relatively easy to drill it with holes to accept the dowels.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Maybe modify your QCTP so it has dowels to keep it from rotating? The Dorian QCTP come pre-drilled for them, I believe. Since the QCTP mounts on a riser plate, it should be relatively easy to drill it with holes to accept the dowels.
    I've had a Dorian QCTP from the get go, and have it pinned to the riser block: it ain't moving. Repeatability, 'floats' in a .0004 diametric window; you'll get a few parts dead on, then the next is off by .0002 to .0003. I think this due to the fact the tool doesn't always repeat perfectly in the 'Y', or the stop height. I also milled a few slots on the bottom of the riser from the threaded holes for drainage. All in all very solid. Dorian, is highly recommended.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's a whole lot better design idea. Looks like a mod is in order. thanks.