Overwhelmed with CAD/CAM. Suggestions for a beginner? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overwhelmed with CAD/CAM. Suggestions for a beginner?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Overwhelmed with CAD/CAM. Suggestions for a beginner?

I have Rhino 4 for cad, Sprutcam 7 for cam, less than 2000 dollars for both. These are both one time buy software, for a hobby I couldnt see paying by the month or a subscription fee.........

I can draw and cam all the 3d parts with the software that I use. Sprutcam was a bit difficult to learn but does a nice job after I got it figured out............

Just my own personal experience, but I am pleased with it.........

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

I have Rhino 4 for cad, Sprutcam 7 for cam, less than 2000 dollars for both. These are both one time buy software, for a hobby I couldnt see paying by the month or a subscription fee.........
    At $300/year for fusion, you'd still be spending less after 6 years, and you'd have current software the entire time with fusion. With Rhino and sprutcam, you'd have 8 year old software, or you'd spend another $1000? to be current.

Autodesk sent me an email the other day saying they were extending my fusion subscription for another year, so I only paid $300 for the first two years.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    At $300/year for fusion, you'd still be spending less after 6 years, and you'd have current software the entire time with fusion. ...Autodesk sent me an email the other day saying they were extending my fusion subscription for another year, so I only paid $300 for the first two years.
    Fusion is now free to hobbyists and businesses making less than $100k of revenue per year. The subscription is good for one year, and then you can reapply for the "1 year startup entitlement".

I know they have changed their pricing scheme several times in the past year or two, and this current scheme is awesome.

Probably why they sent you an email to extend your license.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Fusion is now free to hobbyists and businesses making less than $100k of revenue per year.
    Not exactly free to businesses. They say "Startups", and the info says "emerging" businesses. Don't count on getting unlimited 1 year renewals.
    I personally don't believe that it will remain free to hobbiests, either.

I think the reason I got the extra year for free has to do with giving all (most) of the Ultimate features to everyone. Early adopters were promised ultimate for life (for the cost of standard), and later they moved most of the ultimate features to standard.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, they keep monkeying with the price structure. Once they get enough people hooked, I am sure the good deals will go away.

I almost bit on the "ultimate for life" deadline too.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, I'm a little worried that it's going to go the same way Alibre did. Started out free, then I paid to get rid of the requirement for Internet access and they went and gave that to everyone for free...

And the price kept climbing as they added annual maintenance.

For now I'm happy with with Fusion and 3D CAM for my Tormach and lathe CAM for my Ah-ha lathe control.

Downloads
    Uploads

+1 on Fusion, although it's server based software, as I understand it, so it could be a little slow at times in responding, depending on their server load, and your internet speeds. But a very good piece of software, and they are very responsive to issues you might be having. If you are a student, you can download a free 3yr licence to Autodesk HSM Inventor, where you have none of the server issues - it' basically the same paradigm, withe integrated CAM. Quite nice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CalebGM View Post
    Thanks Tim!

Looks like a great program. I'm downloading it now, and will start messing with it tonight. I've seen it before, but I had no idea it was free.

I'm really green behind the ears, so would I need Mach 3 or another program to actually run the lathe from the CAM SVG?
    There are a couple of postprocessors for the PathPilot on the SlantPRO on their forum. So you can forget Mach3.

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you guys have any insight into using the CAM with a turret?

The cad aspect is awesome, and I've got probably 10 designs ready to go. However, I'm finding that adding tools, or generating any toolpaths from -x either are non-existant, or I just can't find them.

I may have to go with sprutcam after all.

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you guys have any insight into using the CAM with a turret?

The cad aspect is awesome, and I've got probably 10 designs ready to go. However, I'm finding that adding tools, or generating any toolpaths from -x either are non-existant, or I just can't find them.

I may have to go with sprutcam after all.
    Try this one: https://camforum.autodesk.com/index.php?topic=7481.150, but get the latest and read the directions.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Adam. So I change during post processing, rather than in the program?

Do you know if sprutcam supports the turret?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Adam. So I change during post processing, rather than in the program?
    Caleb, I didn't get what you meant.
    Not sure about SprutCAM, but pretty sure they support the turret.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure either. Haven't made much progress, may just go with sprutcam

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure either. Haven't made much progress, may just go with sprutcam
    The 15L machine configuration in SprutCAM 10 can be set to display the Tormach turret on the cross slide but I have yet to figure out if it will actually show 8 different tools in the turret and the turret rotation on tool changes. That would be handy for turning simulations. Figuring out how/if that works is on my short list, but I work slow so don't wait on me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome! That sounds like a good idea.

Well as long as it works, that's fine by me. Going to try it today.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi as a complete beginner just building an openbuild OX, Does anyone know if fusion 360 can export gcode for cnclinux? or an arduino?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by stevenj View Post
    Hi as a complete beginner just building an openbuild OX, Does anyone know if fusion 360 can export gcode for cnclinux? or an arduino?
    As far as I know the PP I wrote does. A linux CNC guy contacted me on this and it was working OK. Linux CNC requires X+ cutting from tools that are technically X- ( as on a QCTP ). Here is the link:
    https://camforum.autodesk.com/index.php?topic=7481.150

Let us know how it works!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cbyrd View Post
    I second the Fusion 360. The integrated cam for the milling side is great. I do find that I run Sprutcam 9 for lots of my lathe CAM. The Fusion 360 cam for the tormach is just not there yet. I am sure it will get there soon but for turning, right now I use Sprutcam.

I have been doing CNC for about 4 months and fusion 360 is great. I started with turbo cad and played with ironcad, but I find fusion 360 much easier to use. Lots of great videos on it also.
    As a long term user of both packages, I'd question what aspects of Fusion 360 that you find easier to use than IronCAD?

Granted, Fusion 360 runs circles around IronCAD in terms of freeform modeling, deformations, CADCAM(which ICAD simply doesn't offer).
    Though with respect to basic precision modeling, I really can't think of a simpler, faster solution than IronCAD today. ie, how many precision modelers do we know of can generate a part in under 1 min flat?

That said, I'm guessing that most people who use IronCAD will do so based on the inherent speed and simplicity of the software. Though this is quite possibly the first time that I've ever hard someone say they find Fusion 360 to be easier than IronCAD.

Last edited by Smalltimer; 11-21-2016 at 01:24 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Smalltimer, look, who cares if that part took :58 or 2:58. Basically it's a dirt simple part to create, i.e., no lofting, no projections, no subtle geometry. Thing is, Fusion is backed by Autodesk. Do you have FEA, flow analysis, in IronCAD? This is a product that's only getting better..oh, and it's free if you're a hobby guy or small manufacturer. Kinda works for me.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by adamvs View Post
    Smalltimer, look, who cares if that part took :58 or 2:58. Basically it's a dirt simple part to create, i.e., no lofting, no projections, no subtle geometry. Thing is, Fusion is backed by Autodesk. Do you have FEA, flow analysis, in IronCAD? This is a product that's only getting better..oh, and it's free if you're a hobby guy or small manufacturer. Kinda works for me.
    1. Who cares: People who want to design quickly and efficiently - more time spent on design and less time spent negotiating software. - time is money
    2. While IronCAD can certainly do lofting, projections, (subtle geometry?), I'm thinking these really are none issues at this level of CAD software. Though I will say with assurance that on most modeling tasks(safe surfacing), that IronCAD will run at/or around 1/3 the time taken to design a similar part in Fusion 360.
    3. On FEA the answer is yes, along with sheet metal, structural, piping, mechanical motions etc. etc. Though I'd remind you that Fusion 360 is only free so long as it's not used in production. Which is great in itself for hobbyists etc. though not empirical insofar as production is concerned - ie, I doubt these will be the issues driving the need for mid-range solutions in a shop(for example).

Granted on the advanced modeling aspects and price of Fusion 360(repeating) the advantages are undeniable. Though I'd remind you that it isn't everyone who's governed by such things. ie, getting a job done on time, can be just as important as getting it done cheaply
    And finally(and I do enjoy a good challenge), I'd love to see how fast you can create said dirt simple part in Fusion 360 to compare times. - ie, efficiency compounded by the inherent job size etc

Glad to hear Fusion 360 is working out for you

Last edited by Smalltimer; 11-21-2016 at 01:43 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast