Slant Bed Lathe available for preorder

Thread: Slant Bed Lathe available for preorder

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Slant Bed Lathe available for preorder

I thought there would be a bit more excitement here, as a few people have been waiting for quite a while.

34444-PREORDER - 15L Slant-PRO™ Lathe Pre-order

Unfortunately, the full enclosure isn't available until the summer, so the wait continues...

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Slant Bed Lathe available for preorder

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    I thought there would be a bit more excitement here, as a few people have been waiting for quite a while.

34444-PREORDER - 15L Slant-PRO™ Lathe Pre-order

Unfortunately, the full enclosure isn't available until the summer, so the wait continues...
    I venture to guess that many of those who initially looked forward to buying one of these Tormach Slant-Lathes have long since moved on. I'd still love to buy one but I'm one of those who just got tired of waiting. I've already spent the money I had saved up to buy a tormach lathe; and just cause they're now taking pre-orders doesn't mean that they're available yet.

I'm sure it will turn out to be a quality machine. It's just taken to long to bring it to market. I know that Tormach puts out quality products so I also think that interest in their new lathe will pick up again once they get a steady stream of machines all ready to sell.

For me, it's just felt like they've been stringing everybody along for far to long. And now, you put two-thousand dollars down and you still have to wait a little longer.

If I ever win the lottery I'll most likely buy one; that's if they ever get to market.

MetalShavings

Downloads
    Uploads

It looks like the wait after the deposit is a week or two before shipping. Not too bad. I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger but good chance I will this year.

There still isn't much of any real competition for this machine, so there's not much reason for them to rush a product out the door and risk a problematic launch that bruises their currently-good reputation. You want new/turnkey, there's a few companies offering lash-up conversions of the 10x/12x bench lathes for similar $$, and the Tormach machine looks better than them in pretty much every way. If you want something with enclosure, turret, gang tooling, bar puller, etc., your only other options are trolling for a used machine with all that entails, or calling Haas about a TL-series for more than double the price.

At this point I think we've all heard enough "coming soon" and are waiting to see production machines in action as there isn't much more left to preview. If the slow-and-steady means these machines work well with limited problems out of the gate I suspect they will not have much trouble selling the first few loads of them.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cost, desire for full enclosure and bar puller - and likely much more cost for that.... getting colder on it. If they have it at Oshkosh, I'll check it out there. Maybe a refurbed GT-27 would be a better buy.

I'm chomping at the bit.
    I REALLY need a small CNC lathe, with a 6" chuck.
    I love TORMACH's customer support, and quality, but the CQK Lathe for $10,000 looks really tempting too.
    CQK9332S CNC Lathe
    The GT-27 also looks like a good machine, although more expensive

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RussMachine View Post
    I'm chomping at the bit.
    I REALLY need a small CNC lathe, with a 6" chuck.
    I love TORMACH's customer support, and quality, but the CQK Lathe for $10,000 looks really tempting too.
    CQK9332S CNC Lathe
    The GT-27 also looks like a good machine, although more expensive
    I looked up the CQK, but that's just a normal chinese lathe (like my 12x37 Grizzly) in an enclosure. I converted mine to CNC already like that but still not quite what I want. The Tormach is better designed than that, and the Gt27 is a whole 'nuther class

Downloads
    Uploads

Am I blind? Is the final price known?

Downloads
    Uploads

The email said $13,300 IIRC for the basic configuration with stand, chuck guard, and QCTP configuration. Not clear if chuck(s) or QCTP are included for that price.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sansbury View Post
    The email said $13,300 IIRC for the basic configuration with stand, chuck guard, and QCTP configuration. Not clear if chuck(s) or QCTP are included for that price.
    The relevant sentence from the newsletter says - "the suggested package price with QC Post, Tooling, and accessories (similar to the picture here) is $13,300"

The picture shows the lathe with a QCTP and what looks like a 6-in 3-j chuck, plus a chuck guard, coolant line, and monitor/keyboard stand.

Has anybody heard anything about turning or boring accuracy or even backlash on the cross feed?

Mike