Uploads

Default impressions fomr your pics

Gary,

I like your safety flip-flops.

No Risk - no Fun.

Benji

Downloads
    Uploads

Very creative use of the 3 point hitch. I didn't know a Kubota could lift that much either. Surely that's a lot more than the bucket is rated for.

CR.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr9900 View Post
    Ever since I discovered some tapped holes on the bottom of the head casting (apparently for a cover plate that was never implemented) I've been thinking about making a new coolant manifold. My previous one with the multitudinous threaded joints was too wonky, and rotated out of alignment all the time. For the past few months I've been using the stock Tormach single coolant line but missed the option of two coolant streams (the stock pump falls off in flow even with two 1/4" unrestricted nozzles, so more than two wouldn't really be useful). Also the plastic inline valve always tweaked the coolant nozzle position when I adjusted it.

The only new part I needed to buy was a 6" nipple to span the head. The rest of the fittings I already had from the previous iteration of the manifold. I machined a couple of brackets from scraps of brass bar, and soldered the whole thing (with the exception of the valves) together.

The holes in the head casting are M6 and 65mm center-to-center.

I like the new manifold. I originally had both valve handles pulling to the front to open, but reversed the left-hand valve because the handle interfered with the Proxxon tool when mounted.

Randy
    Very nice clean manifold design. I did something like that for my SX3, but it's way more complicated what with 5 nozzles & all.

CR.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by benji2505 View Post
    I like your safety flip-flops.
    Benji -

I figured you guys would like those. They are actually Steel-Toed Safety Slaps. I also have a pair of Fur-Lined Safety Slaps for winter. I hardly get any use out of them around here, though. What I really need is a pair that offers a little better protection when welding. Trying to maintain a decent bead while kicking hot slag from in between your toes is a learned art...

Seriously, I do way too much in flip-flops, but in the case of moving the mill I was always very conscious of everything around me. I didn't allow anything under it at all. Visually inspecting underneath it was a challenge since I didn't want to be all that near the thing or lift it very high. I finally got a peek once we got it hovering over the stand. Shoes or flip-flops, that thing would have hurt if it dropped on a foot, even from a few inches up.

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was from a friend when I built my shop. "Put a nine-foot ceiling in it," he said. He found me a used 8' X 23' fiberglass door for $75, so I built the shop around the door. The boom pole in the photos had about 1/2" clearance with the mill high enough to fit over the stand. We had to set the mill on wood stumps to get another purchase to lift high enough.

Crevice Reamer -

I knew that the loader would have problems with the mill (but it might have barely done it if I took the bucket off; the main problem was vertical clearance), but suspected that the 3-point could handle it. It only took about an hour to cut and buzz up the boom pole, so it was worth the try. It was a pleasant surprise when the mill just rose into the air...

Randy -

When you get a tractor, you'll have to learn to weld. No excuses. Welders and tractors just seem to go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Regards,

- Just Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by justgary View Post
    When you get a tractor, you'll have to learn to weld.
    Well, then, I'm safe for a while yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by justgary View Post
    Welders and tractors just seem to go together like peanut butter and jelly.
    Oh darn--my favorite is peanut butter and bread-and-butter pickle slices... I used to be pretty good at brass fillet brazing. In earlier years I built a recumbent bicycle and two recumbent tricycles, and spliced a tandem togther out of two 10-speeds. But never learned to weld (even oxy-acetylene).

Randy

Downloads
    Uploads

Randy -

Peanut butter and bread-and-butter pickles doesn't roll off the tongue just right. My father-in-law used to claim that peanut butter goes with everything, so I believe you. His particular favorite was peanut butter on lemon meringue pie. I tried it once, and it wasn't bad, but I thought the heavy texture of the peanut butter overpowered the more delicate pie. (This could easily turn into my best hijack ever!)

As for the welding, I don't really think that it involves that much learning. If you clean the metal first with an angle grinder or something similar, keep the sticks dry (I use an ammo box), and just watch the puddle, you'll do fine. The cheap electronic helmets make all the difference these days, since you can see what you are about to weld before you strike the arc. I used to not enjoy welding as much before I got one from HF.

If you find a used AC/DC buzz box for cheap (and the DC part is definitely worth it), grab it and teach yourself how to use it. As long as you can turn your work so that the weld is horizontal, you'll get good welds fairly quickly. Vertical is a bit trickier, but overhead is not meant for mortals to attempt... the shower of slag will easily fill your flip-flops.

Now if you really want easy, get a MIG unit and use the appropriate gas (CO2, Argon/CO2, etc.) with it. A child of four can use one, since it's just like coloring (until the wire snags, or the gas runs out, etc.). I borrowed one once to make a trailer, and it was just like magic (until the gas ran out on a weekend). Vertical was no problem with that thing.

Regards,

- Just Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Right-angle nozzles--they're the bees' knees!

I replaced the "grabby" Snap Flow coolant hoses with Loc-Line ("the originator of the modular hose system"), and while I was at it, I also bought 1/8" and 1/4" right-angle tips. The hoses adjust very smoothly and firmly, and the RA tips are great! They reduce the hose gyrations needed to get the stream "down into the cut", especially with the limited clearance under the Proxxon bracket. I don't think I'll be using the straight nozzles any time soon...

Randy

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New coolant manifold-rightangle1-jpg   New coolant manifold-rightangle2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Randy -

Now that's the ticket! I have wondered about getting coolant into the close spaces, and it looks like the 90 degree tips are the answer.

My coolant system needs an overhaul...

Regards,

- Just Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Randy,

How would compare the Loc-Line and Snap Flow products? Sounds like you weren't too happy with Snap Flow and switched to Loc-Line.

I've converted mine to Loc-Line but was waffling between it and Snap Flow.

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Mike, I was using the 1/4" Snap Flow for 3 years and was disappointed the whole time. The joints between the "pop beads" were, for lack of a better word, grabby, and it was hard to adjust the line without either overshooting or undershooting the desired position. It would take 3 or 4 readjustments each time to get the stream pointing just where I wanted it. Fine adjustments were impossible and I'd have to move it a ways to the side and then back to where I wanted it. I bought larger Loc-Line to use as a vacuum nozzle when machining dry, and it adjusts very smoothly, so I finally replaced my Snap Flow with Loc-Line and am happy.

Randy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12