Tool Changes?

Thread: Tool Changes?

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Tool Changes?

Not really a poll but how many tools do you guys use, on an average for most of your jobs/parts. I am finding I use between 4-7 different tools for the first op, although the is one part I make a few of I only use two. As some of my parts require 3 ops and additional tools to the 4-7 that I mentioned above.
    I'm getting ready to make a pallet system where I can make 6-8 parts at a time therefore eliminating many tool changes per setup.

Similar Threads:
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, ATC, 4th

Downloads
    Uploads

For my last few projects I would say 7-8 tools. The parts I have been making are fairly small and simple however most have several different size drilled holes that are needed.

As for tool holders there are never enough for either the mill or the lathe.... A pallet system sounds very cool.... Please share more on this idea.

Robert

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I currently use around 3-5 tools per job, but that seems to be increasing as my abilities for more complicated parts increase. I do not own the TTS system, but I have a rack of R8 collets and a ER collet thing that mounts in the R8 spindle with about 12 different sizes of ER collets. I need to look into some kind of tool holders because setting a zero Z every single time I change a tool is getting real old real quick.

BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon

Downloads
    Uploads

Default TTS holders

The TTS holders are the way to go. I set them once and just pick the tools I need when I program. I just need to get a half a dozen more.

RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, ATC, 4th

Downloads
    Uploads

Very cool... I would think a pallet tool changer would be a great and simple option that would work for most guys and most jobs.

I usually use 3-4 tools on a part. I purposely limit the number of tool changes per job to save time.

David

Downloads
    Uploads

most of my parts require between 4 and 7 tools. i am limited on tts holders and of course every job requires different tools. this means i modify my tool table and set the heights for every job. when i get rich, i plan on buying a bunch of tts er20 holders

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 300sniper View Post
    most of my parts require between 4 and 7 tools. i am limited on tts holders and of course every job requires different tools. this means i modify my tool table and set the heights for every job. when i get rich, i plan on buying a bunch of tts er20 holders
    They are pricey suckers. I'm trying to keep my designs to 3-4 tool changes per part. My designs are pretty simple though.

I think I'm going to buy the tapping head tomorrow. If you count that, I guess it adds another tool change to the equation.

Downloads
    Uploads

for the small parts i make using the high speed spindle i try to use just the one tool, for larger everyday work stuff i would use 3-4.
    see link for an example of some small parts.

http://otiraminiatures.blogspot.com/

brad

Downloads
    Uploads

I use more than 40 different tools for my product on the Tormach. These tools include end mills, ball end mills, edge rounding end mills, drills, slitting saw, threadmill tools with internal and external inserts, each insert for a specific pitch for many pitch sizes metric and imperial, Procunier 1E tap head with interchangeable QD taps for both blind and thru holes (2-56UN, 4-40UN, 6-32UN, 8-32UN, 10-32UN, 1/4-20UN, 1/4-28UN, M6-1 ISO), countersink tools, several boring heads fixed for specific diameters, edgefinder tool, centerfinder TDI tool, and master-tool-height TDI tool. All these tools are mounted in the TTS toolholders from custom made to ER collet types.

Don

Downloads
    Uploads

I usually only use 3-4 tools per job. I plan things out as best as i can to eliminate tool changes. I have about 2- tts holders and use the same tool table for everything with a few spots that might change for custom jobs. This helps when programming as i know tool 9 is always a 0.500" 4 flute.

I've been day dreaming about a pallet system for the last year or more as a decent portion of parts I make are done with only one tool. A pallet system would greatly increase my abilities but as of yet i haven't been able to think of a clever way to do it.

Downloads
    Uploads

I design my parts so that each part is located precisely in a fixture using 1/8” diameter locating pins. The locating pins are located in the fixtures using drill bushings. In this way I don’t need to change tools but change the part in a fixture and using one tool per process on my parts. I also design symmetry into all my parts so that machining processes are as similar as possible. Also with symmetry in my design and using the same machining processes on the same fixtures, manufacturing errors and tolerances cancel out in my product design.

I use a Starrett TDI with a 0.200 range mounted in a TTS holder as tool #1. All tool heights are measured on a granite flat using Tormach measurement fixture p/n 30140, measured with a height gage then entered into the tool table. Tool #1 is used to measure the datum then the z-axis is zeroed. All tool heights in the tool table are referenced to tool #1.

Don

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    I use a Starrett TDI with a 0.200 range mounted in a TTS holder as tool #1.
    Don, could you post a picture of this? I have a Starrett dial test indicator and don't see how it could be mounted to produce a repeatable result. Thanks.

Randy

Downloads
    Uploads

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ettToolNo1.jpg

The Starrett TDI is a Starrett n0. 25-511 mounted in a 1/2" TTS holder as shown. I run the TDI to 0.05" when zeroing and when measuring on the Tormach measuring fixture using a height gage. Repeatability is excellent. Note that AGD gages have a 4-48 threaded spindle and can accept different pads or feet. I have a ~0.3" diameter foot mounted as shown for zeroing tangent against a 1/2" diameter roll pin that I use for finding the datum on my 45 degree fixture. BTW thats not so easy with a a spherical probe tip. The 0.2 range of the Starrett 25-511 is also a good buffer for overtravel when zero is set at 0.05".

Don

Downloads
    Uploads

Oooh, that's a totally different thing than my Last Word. I'm used to those being called dial indicators. In the words of the immortal Emily Litella, "Never mind..."

Thank you for the picture, Don. I can see how that is great for setting height by adding the preload. 'Nuther thing for my shopping list.

Randy

Downloads
    Uploads

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...t811Daedal.jpg

Here is a picture of my center finding tool. It’s made from a Starrett No. 811 TDI mounted on a Daedal 15mm positoner. There is a 0.75” diameter boss at the top, which fits into the 0.75” R8 collet. Since repeatable height isn’t necessary for the center finder tool, TTS toolholder wasn’t needed. I used to have a Blake-clone co-ax centering tool but it broke. I think this center tool using the 811 TDI works better and I don’t have to run the spindle; just rotate the tool by hand.

Don